Taking the PERT
In order to take the PERT at Valencia you must:
- have an active application on file - the Admissions application must be completed at least 5 business days prior to testing. Future Dual Enrollment students do not have to pay the application fee. Please see the Dual Enrollment page for more information.
- provide a valid and original government-issued photo ID, such as a Driver's License, Passport, or Green Card. High school IDs are not acceptable.
- Children are not allowed in the testing room. Proper supervision of small children should be arranged off site prior to testing.
At a Glance
Mon-Thurs: 8 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 2 PM
Osceola and Lake Nona Campus Closed October 6
All Assessment Centers Closed Novemeber 16
Must pay application fees
No Charge 1st time, $10 Retake fee per section
Valencia's Payment Method
Retake Wait Period
No Time Limit
About the PERT
When you first come to Valencia College, you may be required to take Florida's Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT).
The PERT is an entry-level placement test required of all degree seeking students in the Florida College System (FCS) according to Florida Statutes, Section 1008.30, Rule 6A-10.0315. This test will determine your initial placement in English, reading and mathematics courses.
You could be exempt from this placement test if you meet any of the following:
- Started the 9th grade in 2003 or after and graduated from a Florida High School with a standard diploma
- Are an active duty member of any branch of the United States Armed Services
- provide official ACT, CPT, and/or SAT scores less than two years old that place you in college-level course work at Valencia (See placement chart)
- provide official transcripts of college-level coursework in English or mathematics with a "C" or better from a regionally accredited institution.
PERT Quick Testing Facts:
Number of PERT attempts accepted at Valencia:
- 2 PERT attempts from High School- If you would like to submit PERT scores taken in the state of Florida within the last 2 years, please contact us with the following information: Full Name, VID#, Date of Birth and where you took the PERT. We will use this information to retrieve your scores in the Florida PERT Repository.
- 2 PERT attempts at Valencia College- Scores are immediately inputted into your Valencia file after testing in Valencia's Assessment Center.
- 2 PERT attempts from an outside intuition- Request a sealed copy of scores from the outside institution and submit scores to assessment staff or contact us and request scores to be retrieved from the PERT repository (include Full Name, VID#, Date of Birth and where you took the PERT). Please Note: PERT scores are not avaialbe in the PERT Repository immediately after testing day.
You must wait at least 24 hours between any PERT attempts. Remediation is required prior to your retest at Valencia.
Steps for PERT Retake (1 retake per 24 months)
Step 1 Contact your Campus Learning Support Center to determine their campus PERT Review process.
Locations, times and contact information here:
You may be asked to purchase a booklet from Valencia bookstore or download and print the following booklet to review:
READING REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Reading)
WRITING/SENTENCE SKILLS REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Writing)
MATH REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Math)
COLLEGE LEVEL MATH REVIEW (CPT-I)
Bookstore Prices: Reading $1.56, Writing $2.05, Math $4.00
**Be sure to work through the probems in your booklet and bring in questions to your Learning Support Center.
Step 2 Attend and complete the Learning Support Center's PERT Review and receive a signed Retake Certificate
from the Support Center Staff
Step 3 Bring the Retake Certificate to the Assessment Center to receive a Business Referral to pay for the Retake ($10 per section you wish to take) Valencia methods of payment
Step 4 Pay the retake fee at the Business Office and take the PERT again (you may only retake the PERT once within a 24 month period at Valencia College)
Please speak to an Assessment Center Specialist to make sure you qualify for a retake.