Taking the PERT
In order to take the PERT at Valencia you must:
About the PERT
When you first come to Valencia College, you may be required to take Florida's Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT).
The PERT is an entry-level placement test required of all degree seeking students in the Florida College System (FCS) according to Florida Statutes, Section 1008.30, Rule 6A-10.0315. This test will determine your initial placement in English, reading and mathematics courses.
You could be exempt from this placement test if you meet any of the following:
- Started the 9th grade in 2003 or after and graduated from a Florida High School with a standard diploma
- Are an active duty member of any branch of the United States Armed Services
- provide official ACT, CPT, and/or SAT scores less than two years old that place you in college-level course work at Valencia (See placement chart)
- provide official transcripts of college-level coursework in English or mathematics with a "C" or better from a regionally accredited institution.
PERT Quick Facts:
- The test consists of three subtests: Mathematics, Reading and Writing.
- Each subsection of the PERT consists of 30 questions
- The PERT is not timed, so you will be able to work through the test at your own pace. (We recommend you set aside between two and a half to three hours to take the test, but you may take as long as you need)
- Calculators are not permitted in the lab, however there will be a computer calculator available on certain math questions of the test.
- You cannot fail the test. The test is designed to determine the best placement for you based on your academic preparation
Steps for PERT Retake (1 retake per 24 months)
- Purchase booklet from Valencia bookstore or download and print the following booklet to review:
READING REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Reading)
WRITING/SENTENCE SKILLS REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Writing)
MATH REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Math)
Bookstore Prices: Reading $1.56, Writing $2.05, Math $4.00
** Be sure to work through the problems and bring in questions to the tutoring lab
- Attend a Tutoring Session @ your campus Learning Support Center and recieve a Retake Certificate
Click here for PERT Review times and locations: Fall 2014 Placement Review Sessions
** The tutor will give you a Retake Certificate to bring to the Assessment Center
- Bring the Retake Certificate to the Assessment Center to recieve a Business Referral to pay for the Retake ($10 per section you wish to take) Valencia methods of payment
- Pay the retake fee at the business office
- Take the PERT again