Taking the PERT
In order to take the PERT at Valencia you must:
- have an active application on file - the Admissions application must be completed at least 5 business days prior to testing.
- provide a valid and original government-issued photo ID, such as a Driver's License, Passport, or Green Card. High school IDs are not acceptable.
About the PERT
When you first come to Valencia College, you may be required to take Florida's Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT).
The PERT is an entry-level placement test required of all degree seeking students in the Florida College System (FCS) according to Florida Statutes, Section 1008.30, Rule 6A-10.0315. This test will determine your initial placement in English, reading and mathematics courses.
You could be exempt from this placement test if you meet any of the following:
- Started the 9th grade in 2003 or after and graduated from a Florida High School with a standard diploma
- Are an active duty member of any branch of the United States Armed Services
- provide official ACT, CPT, and/or SAT scores less than two years old that place you in college-level course work at Valencia (See placement chart)
- provide official transcripts of college-level coursework in English or mathematics with a "C" or better from a regionally accredited institution.
PERT Quick Testing Facts:
Steps for PERT Retake (1 retake per 24 months)
- Purchase booklet from Valencia bookstore or download and print the following booklet to review:
READING REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Reading)
WRITING/SENTENCE SKILLS REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Writing)
MATH REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Math)
Bookstore Prices: Reading $1.56, Writing $2.05, Math $4.00
** Be sure to work through the problems and bring in questions to the tutoring lab
- Attend a Tutoring Session @ your campus Learning Support Center and recieve a Retake Certificate
Click here for PERT Review times and locations:
Spring 2015 Placement Review Sessions
** The tutor will give you a Retake Certificate to bring to the Assessment Center
- Bring the Retake Certificate to the Assessment Center to recieve a Business Referral to pay for the Retake ($10 per section you wish to take) Valencia methods of payment
- Pay the retake fee at the business office
- Take the PERT again
Please speak to an Assessment Center Specialist to make sure you qualify for a retake.