Taking the PERT
In order to take the PERT at Valencia you must:
- Have an active application on file - the Admissions application must be completed at least 5 business days prior to testing. Future Dual Enrollment students do not have to pay the application fee. Please see the Dual Enrollment page for more information.
- Provide a valid and original government-issued photo ID, such as a Driver's License, Passport, or Green Card. High school IDs are not acceptable.
- Children are not allowed in the testing room. Proper supervision of small children should be arranged off site prior to testing.
At a Glance
Mon-Thurs: 8 AM - *5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 2 PM
*PERT takes 2.5 - 3 hours. Testing must be completed in the same day, unless a seven-day extension is needed.
All Assessment Centers Closed May 30 and July 4
Must pay application fees
Valencia Student- No Charge 1st time, $10 Retake fee per section
Non-Valencia Student- $25
Valencia's Payment Method
Retake Wait Period
No Time Limit
*PERT takes 2.5 - 3 hours. Testing must be completed in the same day, unless a seven-day extension is needed. Please allow yourself at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours for all 3 sections of the PERT.
Technical difficulties inherent with the internet, software or transmission may occur during your testing experience and are unpredictable. If unexpected technical difficulties occur, Proctors will make every attempt to promptly resume your assessment. Extended delays in testing may require rescheduling.
About the PERT
When you first come to Valencia College, you may be required to take Florida's Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT).
The PERT is an entry-level placement test required of all degree seeking students in the Florida College System (FCS) according to Florida Statutes, Section 1008.30, Rule 6A-10.0315. This test will determine your initial placement in English, reading and mathematics courses.
You could be exempt from this placement test if you meet any of the following:
- Started the 9th grade in 2003 or after and graduated from a Florida High School with a standard diploma
- Are an active duty member of any branch of the United States Armed Services
- Provide official ACT, CPT, and/or SAT scores less than two years old that place you in college-level course work at Valencia (See placement chart)
- Provide official transcripts of college-level coursework in English or mathematics with a "C" or better from a regionally accredited institution.
PERT Quick Testing Facts:
Number of PERT attempts accepted at Valencia:
- 2 PERT attempts from High School- If you would like to submit PERT scores taken in the state of Florida within the last 2 years, please contact us with the following information: Full Name, VID#, Date of Birth and where you took the PERT. We will use this information to retrieve your scores in the Florida PERT Repository.
- 2 PERT attempts at Valencia College- Scores are immediately inputted into your Valencia file after testing in Valencia's Assessment Center.
- 2 PERT attempts from an outside
institution- Request a sealed copy of scores from the outside institution and submit scores to Assessment staff or contact us and request scores to be retrieved from the PERT repository (include Full Name, VID#, Date of Birth and where you took the PERT). Please Note: PERT scores are not available in the PERT Repository immediately after testing day.
You must wait at least 24 hours between any PERT attempts. Remediation is required prior to your retest at Valencia.
PERT Retest at Valencia College
All PERT retakes require a:
- 1 day (24 hour) wait period between tests
- PERT Retake Review Session per subtest
- PERT retake fee ($10 per subject retake)
1. Obtain your PERT scores and confirm retake eligibility with your Assessment Center
2. Receive PERT Retake Certificate from your Assessment Center
3. Review the following link to see times, locations and process of a PERT Review Session: http://valenciacollege.edu/learning-support/PERT/
4. Attend the PERT Retake Review Session(s) and get your certificate(s) signed
5. Pay at your business office: http://valenciacollege.edu/businessoffice/payments.cfm
6. Return to the Assessment Center with your certificate(s) and payment receipt to retake the PERT
*You may be asked to purchase a booklet from Valencia bookstore or download and print the following booklet to review:
READING REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Reading)
WRITING/SENTENCE SKILLS REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Writing)
MATH REVIEW GUIDE (PERT Math)
COLLEGE LEVEL MATH REVIEW (CPT-I)
Bookstore Prices: Reading $1.56, Writing $2.05, Math $4.00
**Be sure to work through the problems in your booklet and bring in questions to your Learning Support Center.