Criminal Justice Institute
Basic Correctional Officer Academy
This program is designed to prepare individuals for entry
level positions as correctional officers.
Course includes introduction to criminal justice, legal aspects,
defensive tactics, physical fitness training, weapons, first responder
techniques, court system, communications, interpersonal skills,
correctional operations, emergency preparedness and state exam review.
Minimum Fitness Standards
Practical Skills and Field Exercises:
Practical skills and field exercises include courtroom demeanor
and testifying, report writing, identification, collection and preservation
of evidence, radio communications, patrol techniques, defensive
tactics, and firearms training; chemical agent application, first
responder, and fingerprinting.
Program Length: 410 hours
|DAY - 15 Weeks
| 6:00AM to 5:00PM
Monday - Thursday
The Criminal Justice Institute at Valencia College is
certified by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Division
of Criminal Justice Standards and Training.
||Florida Resident $1500
(approximate; subject to change)
(approximate) Includes books, uniforms and other equipment
|C.J.I. Application Fee:
||$50.00 (non refundable)
|Valencia College Application
$35.00 (non refundable)
|CJ BAT fee:
|State exam fee:
||Introduction to Corrections
||Facility and Equipment
||Intake and Release
||Suervising in a Correctional Facility
||Supervising Special Populations
||Responding to Incidents and Emergencies
||CMS First Aid for Criminal Justice Officers
||CMS Criminal Justice Firearms
||CMS Criminal Justice Defensive Tactics
| CJK 0340
||Officer Wellness and Physical Abilities
||Criminal Justice Exam Review
- Applicant must be at least 19 years of age.
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
- Applicant must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Applicant cannot have a dishonorable discharge from the Armed
Forces of the United States.
- Applicant cannot have been convicted of any felony, or of a
misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement. Any person who,
after July 1, 1981, pleads guilty or nolo contendere to, or is
found guilty of a felony, or of a misdemeanor involving perjury
or a false statement, shall not be eligible for employment or
appointment as an officer, not-withstanding suspension of sentence
or withholding of adjudication.
- Applicant must take the Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test
(CJ BAT) and achieve required scores.
- Applicant will be required to provide birth certificate, high
school diploma or equivalent, valid Florida Driver's License,
Social Security Card, Military Form DD214 (if applicable), college
transcript or other proof of degree (if applicable), and proof
of medical insurance.
- Applicant must have a physical examination prior to program
entry. Forms for this purpose are part of the application packet
available in the Criminal justice Institute Office.
- Applicant must fill out a Valencia Student Application.
- Applicant must fill out a Criminal justice Institute Application.
Students will be admitted into the Academy in the following
order of priority.
- Applicants who are employed by any agency which is a member
of the C.J.I. Advisory Board.
- Applicants who are employed by any other agency in the state.
- Applicants who are sponsored by any agency.
- All other qualified pre-service applicants.
- Upon completion of the Academy, each student will be required
to take and pass a state examination prior to being certified
in the State of Florida. This exam consists of five sections,
which requires a passing score of 80%.
For further information call (407) 582-8200