Seneff Honors College
Valencia students have two admission options for honors.
- Students can apply to the Seneff Honors College. Students in the Seneff Honors College can earn an Honors Diploma in one of the four available curriculum tracks: Global Studies track, Interdisciplinary Studies track, Leadership track, and Undergraduate Research track. .
To apply for the Seneff Honors College, log onto Atlas and click the "Students" tab. In the middle, "Student Forms" section, click on "Applications". Only students admitted to the Seneff Honors College are eligible for scholarship consideration. The priority application deadline for scholarship consideration is April 7, 2017 for Fall 2017.
- Students can apply to take an honors class. Students may complete up to 12 credits of honors coursework and graduate with an Honors Certificate without being admitted to the Seneff Honors College. Class applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible for scholarship consideration.
Admission of candidates into the Seneff Honors College is a consideration of a student’s potential beyond simply a test score or GPA. All highly-motivated students who desire to make the most of their Valencia experience are encouraged to apply. Students wishing admission to the Seneff Honors College will:
- Complete an application to Valencia College.
- Complete an online application to the Seneff Honors College through Atlas. As a part of the online application, students must upload a 500 word (minimum) -600 word (maximum) essay on the following topic: Select one of the quotes below and write a 500 (minimum) to 600 (maximum) word essay explaining its meaning and significance. Do you agree or disagree with the quote?
- “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “What is honor? A word. What is in that word honor? What is that honor? Air.” William Shakespeare
- “If you want to make enemies, try to change something.” Woodrow Wilson
- “There are as many kinds of loves as there are hearts,” Leo Tolstoy
- “The most beautiful arrangement is a pile of things poured out at random.” Heraclitis
- Submit standardized test scores to the Valencia Registrar’s Office or take the PERT at one of the Valencia campuses (transfer students may be exempt from this requirement). Prior to being admitted to the Seneff Honors College, a student must have college level assessment scores or have completed any developmental mandate in reading and writing.
- Submit an unofficial copy of high school transcripts to the Honors Office (for students who have graduated from high school within the last 2 years).
- Submit an unofficial copy of all college transcripts to the Honors Office (for transfer students).
- Submit one of the following:
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher, school official, supervisor or community leader.
- Letter of recommendation from a Valencia College faculty member (online recommendation form can be completed here).
Honors Application Checklist
** Students who have not completed ENC1101 must meet test score requirements for ENC1101 before being approved to take honors classes. For specifics, see the Valencia catalog.
Application to take honors classes in the Seneff Honors College
The class application is available through Atlas, on the Students tab. See http://valenciacollege.edu/honors/prospective-students/howtoapply.cfm.
A student who meets any of the following criteria can apply to take honors classes.
- 3.25 overall college GPA with at least 9 college-level credits completed (Valencia or transfer) *
- Phi Theta Kappa members in good standing
- Students with less than 9 college-level credits with any of the following standardized test score profiles**:
- Minimum ACT composite score of 26
- Minimum combined score on math and critical reading sections of SAT of 1170
- Minimum PERT scores of
- Writing ≥ 102
- Reading ≥ 106
- Mathematics ≥ 123
- CPT(I) ≥ 50
- Minimum PERT scores of
- Writing ≥ 116
- Reading ≥ 116
- Mathematics ≥ 114
* Students who have not completed ENC1101 must meet test score requirements for ENC1101 before being approved to take honors classes. For specifics, see the Valencia catalog.
** In accordance with Valencia's entry testing policy, test scores must be less than 2 years old