James M. and Dayle L. Seneff Honors College
Valencia students have two admission options for honors.
- Students can apply to the James M. and Dayle L. Seneff Honors College.
- Students can apply to take an honors class.
Only students admitted to the James M. and Dayle L. Seneff Honors College are eligible for scholarship consideration. For instructions on how to apply, click here.
The application deadline for Fall 2014 admission has passed.
Spring 2015 Application Deadline:
November 14, 2014
Students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible for scholarship consideration.
Admission of candidates into the James M. and Dayle L. Seneff Honors College is a consideration of a student’s potential beyond simply a test score or GPA. All highly-motivated students who desire to make the most of their Valencia experience are encouraged to apply. Students wishing admission to the James M. and Dayle L. Seneff Honors College will:
- Complete an application to Valencia College.
- Complete an online application to the James M. and Dayle L. Seneff Honors College through Atlas.
- Submit standardized test scores to the Valencia Registrar’s Office or arrange to take the PERT at one of the Valencia campuses (transfer students may be exempt from this requirement). Prior to being admitted to the James M. and Dayle L. Seneff Honors College, a student must complete any developmental mandate in reading and writing.
- Submit an unofficial copy of high school transcripts to the Honors Office (for students who have graduated from high school within the last 2 years).
- Submit an unofficial copy of all college transcripts to the Honors Office (for transfer students).
- Make sure at least one of the following is submitted to the Honors Office:
- Provide to the Honors Office a 500 word (minimum) -600 word (maximum) essay on the following topic: Select one of the quotes below and write a 500 (minimum) to 600 (maximum) word essay explaining its meaning and significance. Do you agree or disagree with the quote?
- “Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” Eleanor Roosevelt
- “What is honor? A word. What is in that word honor? What is that honor? Air.” William Shakespeare
- “I have never let my schooling interfere with my education,” Mark Twain.
- “There are as many kinds of loves as there are hearts,” Leo Tolstoy
- “The most beautiful arrangement is a pile of things poured out at random.” Heraclitis
Honors Application Checklist
Application to take honors classes in the James M. and Dayle L. Seneff Honors College
The class application is available through Atlas, on the Students tab. See http://valenciacollege.edu/honors/prospective-students/howtoapply.cfm.
A student who meets any of the following criteria can apply to take honors classes.
- 3.25 cumulative college GPA with at least 9 college-level credits completed (Valencia or transfer) **
- Phi Theta Kappa members in good standing
- Students with less than 9 college-level credits with any of the following standardized test score profiles:
- Minimum ACT composite score of 26
- Minimum combined score on math and critical reading sections of SAT of 1170
- Minimum PERT scores of
- Writing ≥ 102
- Reading ≥ 106
- Mathematics ≥ 123
- CPT(I) ≥ 50
- Minimum PERT scores of
- Writing ≥ 116
- Reading ≥ 116
- Mathematics ≥ 114
** Students must complete any developmental mandate in reading and writing before being approved to take honors classes.
Students may complete up to 12 credits of honors coursework and graduate with an Honors Certificate without being admitted to the James M. and Dayle L. Seneff Honors College.