Lead a Study Abroad Program
Thank you for your interest in submitting a proposal to lead or co-lead a short-term study abroad program at Valencia! You must be a full-time employee at the college in order to apply to lead or co-lead a study abroad program. Please see the timeline below for important dates and deadlines.
Steps to Submit a Study Abroad Proposal
- 1Attend the Study Abroad Program Leader Certificate classes in the Fall Term. Please note that this is a mandatory requirement in order to lead or co-lead a study abroad program.
- 2Anyone interested in leading a study abroad program or participating as a program leader-in-training (PLIT) on a study abroad program must complete an Intent to Lead a Study Abroad Program Form. The form gives you approval to go to the next step in the process, which is to complete the proposal form. NOTE: You are NOT required to complete this form for sabbaticals or Endowed Chair travel. Get your dean and campus president signatures and submit to the SAGE Office by October 1st.
- 3Please submit your completed proposal by February 28th.
In order to submit a completed application, you will need the following documents to submit as part of your proposal:
- 4 The SAGE Committee will review completed proposal packets. Evaluators and final rubric scores remain anonymous . Requestors are notified of their proposal status before the Endowed Chair deadline. If approved, eligible program leaders are encouraged to apply for additional scholarship funding by submitting a request for an Endowed Chair through the Valencia Foundation.
Below is a list of third party providers recommended by the SAGE Office.
- Study Abroad Association
- Knowledge Exchange Institute (KEI)
- American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS)
- API Abroad
- CIS Abroad
- SAI Programs
- IES Abroad
- Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
- Amazon Explorama
- World Strides
- Quebec Study Abroad
- Zealand Institute of Business and Technology (ZIBAT)
- The Madras Crocodile Bank Trust
- CYA Greece
Using any program provider will require a signed agreement each year. Once you have selected a program provider, you must contact the SAGE office to review the logistics and obtain a signed agreement.
Proposal Submission Timeline
- Program Leader Certification for Next Year
- Request Form Due for International Travel for Next Year
- Proposal Deadline for Next Year
- Final Proposal Decision for Next Year
- Next Year Implementation Begins
- Scholarship Award Notification for Next Year
- Spring Break Programs Student Application Deadline for Current Year
- Summer A Programs Student Application Deadline for Current Year
- Summer B Programs Student Application Deadline for Current Year
Program Leader-in-Training (PLIT) Mentorship
This program is designed for full-time employees who have never led a study abroad program before and who would like to gain experience in order to lead their own program in the future. Below are the requirements to become a PLIT and steps to apply. Please note: It is not required to PLIT before leading a study abroad program.
- Contact the SAGE Office to identify which study abroad programs are in need of a PLIT.
- Complete the Program Leader-in-Training Proposal Form. Supervisor and campus president signatures required. (attach document)
- Submit the form to the SAGE Office (DO-335) no later than September 1st.
The PLIT process is highly competitive and funding is limited. The SAGE Committee determines which programs are in need of a PLIT.
Costs that are covered by SAGE
- In country transportation
- Program Registration Fees
- Meals covered by program provider
- Entrance Fees
- Medical/Personal Liability Insurance
Costs that are NOT covered by SAGE
- Additional meals not covered by program provider
- Airport transfer and parking fees at Orlando International Airport
- Passport fees
- Airline upgrades
- Extra baggage fees
- Personal spending money
Program participants must
- Complete the SAGE Certificate
- Attend all SAGE meetings
- Attend all class pre-departure and re-entry meetings
- Assist in marketing and recruiting students
- Communicate effectively with the SAGE Office, mentor, and third party provider
- Submit the program evaluation upon return
- Submit a proposal to lead a study abroad program within two years