International Study and Experience

Travel and Safety

The following Internet resources will help you plan and prepare for your international experience abroad:

Passports & Per Diems for International Travel

Please note that effective September 2010, you must have a passport number when airline tickets are purchased. Therefore, you must apply for a passport immediately once you are accepted into a program if you do not have one.

New Requirements for Traveling Abroad
Department of State - Passport Information
US Postal Service Passport Application
Expedited Passports via Miami

Per Diem by Country
Meals Amount Breakdown


US Embassies and Consulates
Foreign Consular Offices in the U.S.
Visas for Education Abroad
Visa Headquarters

Destination Resources

JD Powers US Airline Ratings
Airline and Airport Review Site
Department of State Country Information
Department of State Tips for Living Abroad
Department of State Tips for Students Abroad
Cafe Abroad
International Travel Forum
Cross-Cultural Solutions
IOR Global Services
Study Abroad Student Handbook - The Center for Global Education

Jet Punk: Geography Quizzes
Travel Guide for Studying Abroad
Key Travel
Appina Travel


World Airline Flag Carriers and Travel Safety Tips
Study Abroad First (SAFETI)
Safety When Traveling
Know Before You Go
Travel Safety Guidelines - Sara's Wish Organization
Association for Safe International Road Travel
What the Dept. of State Can & Can't Do in a Crisis (pdf file)
Department of State American Citizens Services & Crisis Management
Department of State Emergencies & Crises
Department of State Safety Tips
Department of State Travel Alerts
Department of State Travel Warnings
Department of State Travel Registration
Department of State Tips for Traveling Abroad
Overseas Security Advisory Council
Tourist Scams in Europe
Cheapfligts Media
Study Abroad Guide for Students

Your Healthcare Abroad Center for Disease Control
Medical Information for Americans Abroad
Cell Phone Access, Country Calling Codes & Time Zones

If you want to be able to communicate overseas, you can purchase or rent a cell phone or SIM card. Check with your current service provider for rates or you can use the following company:
Country Calling Codes
Time-Zone Search
Times Around the World

Electrical Currency Standards & Metric Conversions

World Electric Guide
Science Made Simple Conversions

Student ID Cards, Student Loans & Health Insurance International Student Identification Card
International Student Loans
CMI Insurance Worldwide
Transportation & Weather Rail Europe
CNN Weather by Continent
Language Learning

Languages of the World
Center for Global Languages at Valencia

Jobs and News

Valencia SAGE's Delicious Links
International Job Finder
Japan Exchange and Teaching Program (JET)
Jobs Abroad
Jobs in Australia
NAFSA – Job Registry
Overseas Jobs

Peace Corps
The University of Michigan Directory of Work Abroad
ABYZ News Links
Flying Inkpots' World Newspaper Links
This Week in Europe


WorldFirst Currency Converter

This is a universal converter good for both international and domestric travel