International Study and Experience

Funding Study Abroad

Finding the money to support a short-term or semester study abroad program can be challenging for some. The first step in the process is to create a budget. Use the Budget Worksheet for Study Abroad form on the How to Apply pages to help you. If you are applying for any scholarship money or plan on using your financial aid, this is a required form. The following is a list of resources to help fund your study abroad program:

The Institute of International Education has just announced the launch of Generation Study Abroad, a five-years campaign to double the number of American students who study abroad by the end of the decade.

AIFS is the first study abroad organization to become a committed partner of Generation Study Abroad. We are now offering Generation Study Abroad Scholarship for semester and summer programs

Every student should have the opportunity to study abroad. Our goal is to have 600,000 U.S. students studying abroad in credit and non-credit programs. Over the next 5 years, Generation Study Abroad will reach out to educators at all levels and stakeholders in the public and private sectors to encourage purposeful, innovative action to get more people interested to undertake an international experience.

Why? Because international experience is one of the most important components of a 21st. century education. Read more about the Generation Study Abroad challenge

SAGE Scholarships

The SAGE office currently has funding from the Valencia Foundation and from Student Development to help offset the costs of study abroad. The amount for short-term study abroad is listed on the country website page. You must submit a separate application for semester study abroad. Awards range from $1000 to $4000 depending upon the number of applicants and the contents of your application. BE SURE TO READ THE SCHOLARSHIP REQUIREMENTS BEFORE APPLYING.

Full-time, Valencia students who are eligible for financial aid can use these funds for study abroad programs that award academic credit for study.  Read more about Using Financial Aid for Study Abroad.

The Gilman Scholarship offers awards up to $5,000 to study abroad to U.S. citizen undergraduates receiving federal Pell Grant funding at 2-year or 4-year colleges or universities. Students studying a Critical Need Language may receive a $3,000 supplement for a total possible award of $8,000.

NOTE: For your application and essay, please be sure to include the following details IF they apply to you.

  • You're a current/past student at community college
  • You're studying in a field underrepresented in study abroad (sciences and engineering)
  • You're a first generation college student
  • You're a student of diverse ethnic backgrounds
  • You're a student with disabilities
  • You're traveling to a country outside of Western Europe, Australia or New Zealand
  • You intend to study a critical need language during your study abroad experience
    • Arabic (all dialects)
    • Chinese (all dialects)
    • Bahasa Indonesia
    • Japanese
    • Turkic (Azerbaijani, Kazakh, Kyrgz, Turkish, Turkmen, Uzbek)
    • Persian (Farsi, Dari, Kurdish, Pashto, Tajiki)
    • Indic (Hindi, Urdu, Nepali, Sinhala, Bengali, Punjabi, Marathi, Gujarati, Sindhi)
    • Korean
    • Russian
    • Swahili
Boren Scholarships offer unique opportunities for U.S. undergraduates to study abroad for a semester or a year in world regions critical to U.S. interests (including Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin American & the Caribbean, and the Middle East). In exchange for scholarship funding, all Boren Scholars must agree to work for the Federal Government in a position with national security responsibilities. Refer to "Boren Scholarship Basics" for complete details. Funding varies by length of program up to $20,000. Read the Boren FAQs for more information.
Each year, more than $600,000 in scholarships, grants and financial support is awarded to deserving students & institutions. Funds are available for both summer and semester programs. Please check the website for more details and how to apply.

Florida Prepaid College

If you have a Florida Prepaid College program, you can use those funds to pay for the regular tuition rate for a study abroad course. These funds cannot be used for any additional program costs or lab fees.
The FEA is committed to increasing the opportunities for dedicated American students to participate in high-quality, rigorous education abroad programs by reducing financial restrictions through the provision of grants and scholarships. Participants must be studying at least 4 weeks in country.
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Fulbright is the largest U.S. international exchange program offering opportunities for students, scholars and professionals to undertake international graduate study, advanced research, university teaching, and teaching in elementary and secondary schools worldwide.
The College Consortium for International Studies offers scholarships each term to students at CCIS member institutions. Valenica maintains a membership to CCIS. If you are participating in a CCIS Program, contact the Study Abroad Office for CCIS Scholarship information.
Scholarships for U.S. citizen undergraduate, master's and Ph.D. students to participate in beginning, intermediate and advanced level intensive summer language programs at American Overseas Research Centers.
The Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) State Programs, within the Florida Department of Education, administers a variety of postsecondary educational state-funded grants and scholarships, and provides information to students, parents, and high school and postsecondary professionals.
Open to undergraduate students to study in East and Southeast Asia. Fall, Spring and Summer cycles. Awards amounts vary from $3,000 for summer term $5,000 for semester and $7,000 for academic year programs.
With hundreds of scholarship and grant listings, IIE's online directory Study Abroad Funding, is among the most comprehensive directories for U.S. students to find funding for studying abroad. It contains thousands of study abroad listings offered by U.S. and foreign universities and study abroad providers, along with key information on funding opportunities for study abroad experiences.
Over $8 Million in scholarships for Hispanic study abroad. The HSAS Scholarship offers $1,000 per semester to students whose college or university is a member of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU) and are attending Global Learning Semesters programs.
The Rotary Club offers ambassadorial scholarships for students and grants for university professors. These programs can change the lives of those who participate. Through these programs, participants can travel on cultural exchanges, or help a community through a service project.
This Scholarship Bulletin Board offers students information on available scholarships. Scholarship advertisements include application requirements, locations of applications, and specific deadlines.
The School for International Training and World Learning offer a variety of study abroad scholarships ranging from $500 to $5,000. Awards are based on need, merit, and the inclusion of students from a variety of institutions, from across the U.S. and from around the world. Most scholarship funds are available for semester or summer programs.

Scholarships to Japan
(Word document)

This directory features detailed descriptions of hundreds of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, grants, and paid internships for U.S. undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students, and professionals.

NAFSA: Association of International Educators

Financial aid for undergraduate study abroad consists mainly of federal grants and federal and private loans. However, scholarship money is also available from organizations and sponsoring companies. You likely have many questions about the cost of studying abroad and about how you can fund your abroad experience. Be sure to speak with your campus financial aid officer and study abroad adviser to learn more about specific funding options available at—and required procedures for—your college or university.