This concludes Tutorial #1: Defining an Information Need. In this module, you learned:
- The meaning of the term "information need"
- The steps taken to clarify and describe an information need: 1. Gather background information, 2. Focus the topic, 3. Choose a research question, 4. Identify key terms, 5. Identify a variety of appropriate sources.
- The reasons for each of these steps
You also acquired the following skills:
- Identify characteristics and examples of general information sources.
- Arrange topics from broad to narrow.
- Identify characteristics and examples of open-ended research questions.
- Identify characteristics and examples of well-defined research questions.
- Identify characteristics and examples of current vs. historical, primary vs. secondary, and popular vs.scholarly sources.
Image credit: Microsoft Clip Gallery
After finishing this lesson, complete the form below: