Is Valencia Online Right for you?
Before you consider taking classes online, you need to determine if you have the skills necessary to be successful as an online student. These courses have the same rigorous curriculum as traditional on-campus classes. Online courses may offer the flexibility of time, but your deadlines for assignments and readings for the week remain the same. We encourage you to review the resources on this website to help prepare you for success as an online student.
Skills Needed to Succeed in Online Coursework at Valencia
General Computing Skills:
- Word Processing (WordPerfect, Word, Open Office, etc.)
- Internet Browsing
- Copying and pasting
- Saving files in different formats
- Working with attachments
- File Management
- Disk Handling
- Installation of Software
- Mouse Skills
- Protection of Hardware and Software
- System Configuration Knowledge
- General Software Skills
Are you Software Savvy?
Below you will find a list of software applications commonly used by students to complete their online coursework. Where applicable, you can use the Learn it! link to view free tutorials available online that will show you how to navigate and use these applications:
Skillshops are free workshops, or mini courses, that provide real-life solutions to common student issues.
Why Attend Skillshops?
- They're free.
- They're offered on all campuses during the day and evening.
- They're short - only an hour or two.
- You can attend as many as you want.
- They're jam-packed with information relevant to your life.
- They're taught by experts, counselors, advisors and professors.
- You don't need to sign up or register in advance. Just show up with your student I.D.
Visit for more information on the variety of topics available: http://valenciacollege.edu/student-services/skillshops.cfm
Software Skills - Trial Software Downloads - Resource Links