Faculty and Staff Research
Here we have gathered a few of the articles and research reports that have featured Valencia College and, for some of these, our faculty and staff partnered with the researchers or were participants in the studies.
The Student Financial Wellness Survey (SFWS): Exploring the Connection between Student Finances and Academic Success
In 2020, the Trellis Company conducted the SFWS survey with students and our findings are now available:
Valencia College participated in the SFWS study in 2018 and our findings are included in their 2018 report: The Student Financial Wellness Survey- Fall 2018 Semester Results.
ideas42: Research Related to Financial Aid
In 2015 researchers from ideas42 conducted studies with Valencia College students focused on behavioral economics interventions in regard to financial aid. Several research briefs emerged from their work.
More to Most: Scaling Up Effective Community College Practices
In 2010 Valencia College was part of the Developmental Education Initiative (DEI) that led to the creation of this guidebook by Abby Parcell at MDC.
Valencia College-Related Research Articles and Reports
- 2019- Kosovich, J. J., Hulleman, C. S., Phelps, J. and Lee, M. (2019). Improving algebra success with utility-value intervention. Journal of Developmental Education. 24(2), 2-9.
- 2018 - Brown, J. & Kurzweil, M. (2018), Instructional quality student outcomes and institutional finances. American Council on Education.
- 2017- Robertson, J. J. & Blasi, L. (2017). Community college student perceptions of their experiences related to global learning: Understanding the impact of family, faculty, and the curriculum. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 41(11), 697- 718.
- 2016- Kanagala, V., Rendon, L. & Nora, A. (2016). A framework for understanding Latino/a cultural wealth. Association of American Colleges & Universities, 19(1).
- 2016- Bensimon, E. M., Dowd, A. C. & Witham, K. (2016). Five principles for enacting equity by design. Association of American Colleges & Universities, 10(1).
- 2016 - Waugh, A. (2016, July 7). Meta-majors: An essential first step on the path to college completion. Jobs For The Future.
- 2016- Shechtman, N., Yarnall, L., Stites, R., & Cheng, B. (2016). Empowering adults to thrive at work: Personal success skills for 21st century jobs: A report on promising research and practice. Joyce Foundation.
- 2015 - Brown, J. and Kurzweil, M. (2015, October 29). Collaborating for student success at Valencia College. ITHAKA S+R.
2014 - Asera, R., Booth, K, Falk, E. and Wyner, J. (2014). Building a faculty culture of student success. The Aspen Institute.
2014 - Center for Community College Student Engagement (2014). Contingent commitments: Bringing part-time faculty into focus (A special report from the Center for Community College Student Engagement).
- 2013 - Dadgar, M., Venezia, A., Nodine, T. and Bracco, K. R. (2013). Providing structured pathways to guide students toward completion. WestEd.
- 2013 - Silva, E. & White, T. (May, 2013). Pathways to improvement: Using psychological strategies to help college students master developmental math. Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.