Join Valencia College for a remarkable leadership opportunity.
College President Sandy Shugart and the Talent Search committee invite you to apply for the Osceola Region Campus Presidency. Named for its home county, the Osceola region is comprised of Valencia College’s Osceola, Lake Nona and Poinciana campuses. One of three campus presidents at Valencia, the Osceola Region Campus president reports directly to College President Sandy Shugart, and is a member of the president’s senior team.
Valencia College is seeking a leader for the Osceola Campus Region that is deeply committed to being active in and serving the diverse needs of its community. Valencia’s philosophy and culture is rooted in collaboration, empowering teamwork for faculty, staff and administrators. These values are integral to Valencia and will form a framework around which the Talent Search Committee will consider candidacies.
The Osceola Campus Presidency
Desired Characteristics, Talents, Experiences and Credentials
Preferred candidates will:
- Be creative visionaries with strong implementation skills.
- Demonstrate collaborative work and leadership styles.
- Align the College’s value proposition with those of Region and its campuses.
- Be able to advocate effectively for the Region.
- Model and celebrate unconventional thinking.
- Exhibit superb character, transparency and empathy.
- Possess the keen intelligence, curiosity and analytical ability needed for success in Valencia’s dynamic environment.
- Substantiate successful leadership experience in a multi-campus, open- access institution.
- Have a strong academic acumen and an understanding that faculty members lead academic work.
- Exhibit approachability, humility and an executive presence.
- Show a demonstrated track record of community outreach.
- Demonstrate multicultural awareness and sensitivity, with Spanish language skills a plus.
- Experience in managing online program offerings.
- Have a comfort level with ambiguity and change.
- Possess a sophisticated understanding of systems.
- Exhibit outstanding communication skills — writing, speaking and listening.
- Hold a terminal degree.
- Be able to articulate a well-thought-out student-centered philosophy.
- See Valencia as a place where they want to spend a substantial part of their career.
- Have the entrepreneurial mindset to work effectively with the business community.
- Respect the good work already being done at Valencia.
- Demonstrate an equity mindset by valuing all people.
- Have successful teaching experience.
- Possess a global perspective.
Opportunities And Challenges
The explosive growth of the Osceola Region presents an enormous opportunity for the next Campus President. Due to factors such as community growth, capacity needs and access, physical capacity is an issue in the Region, with an urgent need for more space at Lake Nona, as well as another building at the Osceola Campus. Although there has been very limited funding for facilities in the Florida College System, there will be a continued push to find capacity-building solutions. Expansion of and broader promotion of online offerings may be a viable option. In addition to facility needs, as enrollment grows, there will be resulting personnel shortages that will require careful attention. The next Campus President will need to examine carefully all the implications of this exciting growth and work to develop a proactive response plan.
Equity in Student Outcomes
A focus on equity gaps was key to Valencia receiving the Aspen Prize and achieving Gold Performance Status for the Florida College System. However, there is always room for improvement and the new Campus President will have a significant leadership role in helping the College achieve its five-year goal of 50% graduation rate for underserved and underrepresented student populations.
The “Got College” initiative has positively impacted the college-going rate in of Osceola County high school students. As the Region’s college-going rate continues to rise, more students will matriculate at Valencia who may be less prepared for college-level work. This dynamic will require a continued improvement in the College’s systems and approaches aimed at identifying and addressing student performance issues quickly.
In addition, with the changing nature of work occurring at a rapid, the next Campus President will need to work with faculty colleagues to ensure that Valencia’s curriculum keeps pace with the requirements of the modern workplace. Students must be well prepared to succeed in today’s competitive economy.
Community Outreach and Partnerships
The Region enjoys a very strong relationship with its communities, educational institutions and businesses, as demonstrated by the County’s substantial investment in the College’s programs and facilities. These relationships provide opportunities to consider new and exciting ways to enhance the Region’s already stellar reputation for corporate citizenship, a key aspect of its mission. The new Campus President will have the chance to build on a strong tradition of outreach by being by connecting to and engaging with the community.
Invitation to Apply
College President Sandy Shugart and the Talent Search Committee invite you to join Valencia College for a remarkable leadership opportunity – the Osceola Region Campus Presidency.
In its next campus president, Valencia College seeks a servant leader, who whole-heartedly believes that any student can learn anything under the right conditions. As a premier learning college, Valencia’s culture is deeply collaborative. The most completive candidates will exhibit extraordinarily collaborative leadership and work well with teams, using the College’s mission as guideposts.
THE NOMINATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS
The Talent Search Committee will begin a review of applications in mid-January 2020 and continue working until a candidate is selected. To ensure full consideration, applications should be received by Friday, January 24, 2020 and include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and five professional reference with email addresses and telephone numbers. Reference will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant.
If you have questions about the position, or would like to recommend a candidate, please direct inquiries to:
Please direct nominations and inquiries to: