Online Teaching & Learning
Valencia's Office of Faculty and Instructional Development offers many opportunities for faculty members to explore key issues regarding teaching and learning in the web-enhanced, mixed-mode and online environments. Our courses are designed to meet the needs of diverse experience levels in teaching online, ranging from the novice to experienced.
These courses and programs support faculty members in developing a framework of best practice strategies for engaging, instructing, supporting and communicating with students in the online environment. Our courses involve the following topics:
- Characteristics and unique needs of the online learner
- Learning styles and diversity in an online class
- Formative and summative assessment techniques
- Strategies for promoting academic integrity
- Strategies for engaging the online learner
- Online and mixed-mode course design and delivery
- Strategies for communication and interaction
- Current legal issues
- Universal design for learning
- Building online learning communities
- Facilitating online discussions
- Integration of learning technologies
Course Series & Programs:
Blackboard Fundamentals- These courses are designed for faculty new to Valencia's learning management system (LMS), Blackboard.
Boot Camp for Online Instruction - This three-day intensive course is designed for faculty members from novice to intermediate experience with teaching online or Blackboard and will address the pedagogy and technology essentials for teaching online.
Digital Professor Certification Program - This course series is designed to culminate in the certification of faculty as "Digital Professors." This designation will indicate completion of 20 hours of professional development in online/mixed-mode teaching and learning.
Contact for Questions or More Information
Associate Director for Online Teaching and Learning