Valencia educators will design learning opportunities that promote student life skills development while enhancing discipline learning. Through intentional inclusion of growth promoting strategies, faculty will facilitate the students’ gradual assumption of responsibility for making informed decisions and formulating and executing their educational, career, and life plans.
Performance Indicators: Evidence of Learning
The faculty member will
- establish student & faculty contact that contributes to students’ academic, personal, and professional growth
- employ digital tools to aid student contact (e.g., Ateaching-learning-academys, MyPortfolio, Blackboard, Ask-A-Librarian, email, etc.)
- seek out struggling students and identify options through dialog and appropriate referrals
- help students assume responsibility for making informed academic decisions (e.g., degree requirements, transfer options, financial aid, etc.)
- guide students in developing academic behaviors for college success (e.g., time management, study, test and note taking strategies, etc.)
- help students identify academic behaviors that can be adapted as life skills (e.g., library search skills, decision-making, communication skills, scientific understanding, etc.)
- assist students in clarifying and developing purpose (attention to life, career, education goals)
Indicators provide examples of how competencies can be demonstrated in an Individualized Learning Plan. While all Essential Competencies need to be demonstrated, only some indicators need to be employed in the ILP process.