Youth Program - School Policies
The ESL Youth Program follows the policies established by Valencia College as outlined in the college's Policy Manual. The policies below are for the ESL Youth Program and they conform to college policy, as well as immigration regulations and regulations of other governing agencies.
Attendance for both F-1 and non F-1 students is essential because we feel that you will not learn English if you do not attend class. Class attendance is also a requirement for F-1 students by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Any F-1 student who violates this attendance policy may be terminated from the program.
Absences: Attendance is mandatory and it is important to attend class on time. Administration will be notified immediately of any student absences.
- Be respectful of your classmates!
- Show respect for the property of others and school property.
- Pay attention in class. Students may not sleep during class.
- Use "inside voices" when in the classroom, student lounge, and walking in the hallways.
- Raise your hand if you have a question or if you need to use the restroom.
- No running.
- No inappropriate language or cursing in any language.
- Clean up after yourself.
- No chewing gum.
- Cheating is a form of academic dishonesty. It is the use of ideas, language, images or work of another without sufficient reference to show that the material is from another person.
- If a student is caught cheating at any time, the instructor may give the student a zero and contact the appropriate person about the matter. This can cause the student to fail and be put on academic probation.
- You are required to complete all assignments.
- Assignments are to be completed legibly, neatly, and completely, or points may be deducted from any given assignment or the assignment may not be graded.
- Homework is due on the announced date at the beginning of class, and all assignments should be completed and prepared to turn in at the beginning of class, NOT during class.
- No late work will be accepted once assignments have been graded and returned to the class.
- Socializing while the instructor or other students are talking.
- Regularly getting up and leaving the classroom.
- Making loud noises in the classroom, hallway or student lounge
- Chewing gum.
- Throwing cigarettes on the floor.
Use of Electronic Devices
The use of cell phones and other electronic devices is prohibited during class and labs as it is disrespectful and a distraction to your instructors and other classmates. Please turn off all electronic devices.
- Cell phones
- MP3 players or iPods
- Game devices
- This includes text messaging.
- Grade points may be taken off the final grade due to cell phone usage.
- Audio-visual recording of the class is not allowed.