Peace Through Service
Sowing Peace, Growing Peace, Through Service
PJI invites you to become a Peace Leader for the community through our Sowing Peace, Growing Peace, Through Service program. As a student participant, you will learn about the great leaders of peace and explore the nonviolent philosophies and methods. More importantly, over a period of 16 weeks, you will learn about community needs, both in and outside of the classroom setting, through working with local peace leaders who will help you build authentic relationships with the people who need help. Civic and classroom activities which engage the heart as well as the intellect are at the core of the program.
This program requires attendance and participation in all meetings during the semester. Students will also attend 4 mandatory off campus field trips to local organizations. After completing all assignments, attending all meetings at the Winter Park campus, and fully participating in the 4 mandatory off campus field trips, students will receive a $300 stipend which can be used for tuition and books at Valencia College.
Students will be challenged, supported and enriched according to their commitment to the program. Participants will be provided with the opportunity to grow in their knowledge and understanding of how to build a culture of peace through study, dialogue, and active learning experiences. Take up the challenge to grow as a peace leader for your community !
Endowed Program Policies
- The Peace and Justice Institute's Principles for How We Treat Each Other are expected to be practiced by all participants in the program.
- Participants will commit to be available every Tuesday between 12:00pm and 5:00pm for this program. This block of time will be used for a regular Tuesday class meeting from 2:30pm to 3:45pm on the Winter Park campus (room TBA) as well as for 4 mandatory field trips to local organizations. The only exception to this Tuesday schedule will be a field trip on one Thursday morning during the semester. We will do service with the IDignity organization from 7:00am until 11:00am. (You must be available during these times to participate in the program).
- From time to time new non-required events will be announced to all participants. If you have agreed to attend a non-required event but your plans change, please notify Paul Chapman (Use the Canvas email system) or call 407-582-6819.
- Participants must regularly check their email and the weekly program schedule, all located in Canvas, in order to stay on top of all program related information.
- Participants will be expected to adhere to the Valencia Student Code of Conduct and respect all the rules, restrictions and policies of our partner organizations.
- Academics: Students will improve their higher order critical thinking skills through analysis assigned reading materials, dialogue with participants, interaction with invited speakers and reflective journaling.
- Civic Engagement: Students will gain greater understanding of local community organizations and the residents they serve.
- Personal: Students will produce reflective journals chronicling their personal challenges and growth throughout the semester.
To apply for the Sowing Peace, Growing Peace, Through Service program for Spring 2019, please carefully complete the application by August 15, 2019. Only members of the selection committee will see your application.