Peace Through Service
Sowing Peace, Growing Peace, Through Service
PJI invites you to become a Peace Leader for the community through our Sowing Peace, Growing Peace, Through Service program. As a student participant, you will learn about the great leaders of peace and explore the nonviolent philosophies and methods. More importantly, over a period of 16 weeks, you will learn about community needs, both in and outside of the classroom setting, through working with local peace leaders who will help you build authentic relationships with the people who need help. Civic and classroom activities which engage the heart as well as the intellect are at the core of the program.
This program requires attendance and participation in all meetings during the semester. Students will also attend 4 mandatory off campus field trips to local organizations. After attending all meetings at the Winter Park campus, and fully participating in the 4 mandatory off campus field trips, students will receive a $300 stipend which can be used for tuition and books at Valencia College.
Students will be challenged, supported and enriched according to their commitment to the program. Participants will be provided with the opportunity to grow in their knowledge and understanding of how to build a culture of peace through study, dialogue, and active learning experiences. Take up the challenge to grow as a peace leader for your community !
Endowed Program Policies
- The Peace and Justice Institute's Principles for How We Treat Each Other are expected to be practiced by all participants in the program.
- Participants will commit to attend all required meetings at the Winter Park campus in room 246 each Tuesday from 2:30PM to 3:45PM and the mandatory off-site local field trips which will be held on Thursday afternoons from 12PM - 5PM. You must be available during these times to participate in the program.
- From time to time new non-required events will be announced to all participants. If you agree to attend a non-required event but are unable to attend, please notify Elizabeth Faulcon (firstname.lastname@example.org or call 407-582-6022) at least 24 hours ahead of time. If you have an emergency situation, and can't meet the 24-hour request, please notify Elizabeth Faulcon as soon as possible.
- Participants must regularly check their email and the weekly program schedule, all located in Canvas, in order to stay on top of all program related information.
- Participants will be expected to adhere to the Valencia Student Code of Conduct and respect all the rules, restrictions and policies of our partner organizations.
- Academics: Students will improve their higher order critical thinking skills through analysis assigned reading materials, dialogue with participants, interaction with invited speakers and reflective journaling.
- Civic Engagement: Students will gain greater understanding of local community organizations and the residents they serve.
- Personal: Students will produce reflective journals chronicling their personal challenges and growth throughout the semester.
To apply for the Sowing Peace, Growing Peace, Through Service program for Spring 2019, please carefully complete the application by January 15, 2019. Only members of the selection committee will see your application.