The Peace and Justice Institute at Valencia College promotes peace and justice for all. Our aim is to nurture an inclusive, caring and respectful environment on campus and within our community - one where conflict leads to growth and transformation, rather than violence or aggression.
What We Do
- Teach a Peace and Justice Studies curriculum at Valencia.
- Work with Associate in Science (A.S.) programs at Valencia, including criminal justice and nursing, to integrate peace studies into their curriculum, ultimately affecting the way people in these industries will handle conflict in their work.
- Promote peace and justice events and activities through sponsorships and collaborations with community and student groups.
- Facilitate conversations on campus and in the community about peace, conflict resolution, human rights, race, and privilege.
- Host nationally known experts in peace and justice studies as speakers and scholars in residence.
- Provide community service and outreach.
- Provide students with hands-on experiences such as internships and service-learning opportunities to give practical meaning to the theories of peace building.
- Offer workshops and courses for business, government, nonprofit, and community organizations in partnership with Valencia's Professional Continuing Education.
Why It Matters
Studying peace benefits all of us--it leads to better people and better societies. It provides a new approach and philosophy toward conflict transformation. It allows people to make a difference by "being the peace" in their own relationships, their neighborhood, the college campus, and even the world.
Peace and Justice Studies is also an excellent foundation for students interested in a broad spectrum of careers, including but not limited to: education, law enforcement, social services, community organizations, the Peace Corps, the U.S. Department of State and non-government organizations.
Goals of the Institute
All People. All Voices. All Matter.
- 1Create and teach a Peace and Justice Studies curriculum
- 2Sponsor and collaborate on peace and justice co-curricular activities
- 3Foster a connection with Valencia's A.S. programs in peace studies and conflict transformation
- 4Offer community outreach in peace and justice
- 5Engage in realizing Valencia's core competencies