Frequently Asked Questions

The following FAQs are examples of questions about residency and related scenarios for reference purposes. Please connect with a staff member if you have questions about your own individual situation.

Type your question. Start with any keyword in the input field to search the table:

Question Answer
What are the deadlines for residency documentation?

Documentation must be submitted on or before the first day of the term for which you are enrolling. Check the Academic Calendar to verify the first day of classes.

Documentation must prove that you have lived in Florida for at least 12 consecutive months before the first day of classes.

Why do I have to prove that I'm a Florida resident if I graduated from a Florida High School?

Graduating from a Florida high school is not sufficient proof of Florida residency for tuition purposes. As examples, you might live in another state and be attending a Florida school as a boarding student in a private school; or you may have moved from another state during your senior year and have less than the requisite 12 months required for residency for tuition purposes. You must still submit the appropriate documentation to prove your bona fide domicile in the state of Florida for at least 12 months preceding the first day of classes of the term for which Florida residency is sought.

Once classified as a Florida resident, do I have to reapply every term?

No, once you are classified as a Florida resident, you will keep that status until you become inactive and/or reapply to the college.

If my family owns a house/condominium in Florida, can I be considered a resident for tuition purposes?

Home ownership does not automatically qualify you for Florida residency for tuition purposes. Residence in Florida must be as a bona fide domicile rather than for the purpose of maintaining a residence incident to enrollment at an institution of higher education. Owning property in Florida, while residing in another state, will not of its own merit meet residency requirements.

What if I've lived in or attended a school in Florida in the past?

To be considered a "Florida Resident for Tuition Purposes" you must prove through official and/or legal documents that you or the claimant have established bona fide domicile in the state of Florida for at least 12 months preceding the first day of classes of the term for which Florida residency is sought. You do not receive credit for any time that you spent in the state in prior years.

What if I just renewed my Driver's License, Voter Registration, and/or Vehicle Registration and the date does not show my original issue date (more than 12 months prior)?

If your documentation was recently renewed in accordance with state policy/regulation, you may submit the original date of issue on the residency affidavit. However, you may be asked to provide additional documentation to verify the dates you report.

If I live near the Florida border, can I qualify for Florida residency?

No. Living near the state of Florida does not grant the student residency for tuition purposes. However, active duty military personnel and their dependents stationed within 50 miles of the Florida border may claim residency based on the official military orders. Official documentation is subject to evaluation and verification.

I submitted documents 2 days after the term began, proving 12 months of physical presence in Florida. Can you make an exception and allow me to be classified for full term as a Florida resident for tuition purposes since we are talking about only a few days difference?

No. However, if you begin Flex Start courses, which have various start dates after the first day of the full term, we can classify you as a Florida resident for tuition purposes provided yoru documents are dated 12 months prior to the first day of the full term and you only enroll in Flex Start courses. 

You can’t be charged two different tuition rates in one term. 

What happens if my documents do not meet the requirements?

If your documents do not verify as you expected, your status will be changed to nonresident and you will have to apply for reclassification. You will have until the first day of classes to submit any additional documents to support your claim of residency. However, if you do not provide sufficient documentation, you will be assessed out-of-state fees and later, you can request a reclassification of residency. However, the burden of proof for reclassification is stricter, requiring three verified documents as opposed to the two that are required in the initial application. 

How do I prove my family ties?

Please provide two forms of proof evidencing that your family member* is a resident of the State of Florida. Documents must have an issue date of at least 12 months preceding the first day of classes of the term for which Florida residency is sought. Visit Steps to Request Florida Residency to view the list of documents that can establish Florida residency. 

*Family member means parents, children, spouse, or surviving spouse of the member, or any other relative by blood, marriage or adoption. Must be a verifiable relative with documents to substantiate the relation to the individual/student i.e., copy of marriage certificate, birth certificate(s), etc.

I live in Florida, and I am a U.S. Citizen, but my parents are undocumented. Can I still qualify for in-state tuition?

Yes. A dependent child may not be denied classification as a Florida resident for tuition purposes based solely upon the immigration status of their parent(s).

Can I be considered a FL resident even though my immigration status is Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).

No, not at this time. DACA students are not eligible to receive in-state fees according to the Florida Department of Education, Division of Colleges. Please feel free to look at the exceptions section of our website to see if you qualify for a waiver.