We look forward to seeing you in the Downtown Writing Center (WC)!
About the Writing Center
The Writing Center (WC) at the Downtown campus offers free 30-minute writing consultations on an appointment basis for students who need assistance with various types of writing.
Free Writing Consultations
The Downtown Campus Writing Center offers students:
- One-on-one learning assistance related to any part of the writing process (inclusive of brainstorming, outlining, formatting, citations, etc.)
- Assistance with various types of college writing (i.e. essays, lab reports, proposals, scholarships, job applications, cover letters, etc.)
- Feedback on writing assignments
- Ways to engage in the writing process
- Guidance on properly formatting a paper in the designated documentation style
- Assistance with avoiding plagiarism and properly citing sources
- Skills to become independent learners
- Review sessions for PERT reading and writing:
- If you are retaking the PERT reading and writing, you may want to go over the review
packets prior to the test. If you need a refresher on some of the topics, feel free
to schedule a Writing Center appointment and a writing consultant will be more than
happy to assist you.
- Please keep in mind that you will be asked to identify a few specific questions or practice problems from the sample tests and/or review materials that you would like to work on with the consultant. The consultant will not be available to go over the entire sample test or review packet with each student.
- For more information about each placement test and to view sample tests and review materials, please visit the Testing Center website and go to the Placement Testing section near the bottom of the page.
- If you are retaking the PERT reading and writing, you may want to go over the review packets prior to the test. If you need a refresher on some of the topics, feel free to schedule a Writing Center appointment and a writing consultant will be more than happy to assist you.
Location & Hours
- DPAC, Room 330K
- Monday to Thursday: 9am to 9pm
Friday to Sunday: Closed
Events and Workshops
Recommendations (Get the most out of your appointments):
- Bring your assignment (paper or electronic copy), sources, course materials, and questions
to the appointment.
- Do not forget to bring your assignment description and the rubric. This will assist the consultant in helping you align with the assignment expectations.
- Electronic copies of your assignment or paper copies may be used. If you choose to go with the paper option, you must bring a printed copy with you. (You will not be able to print your assignment in the WC.)
- Identify and share your goals for the consultation (in the appointment comments and at the beginning of your appointment).
- Let your writing consultant know the assignment requirements and your professor’s expectations.
- The writing consultant will discuss as much as is reasonable in a 25-minute consultation.
- At the conclusion of your consultation, you are welcomed to schedule additional appointments to continue your progress on your assignment (as long as you are not exceeding 1 appointment/day and 3 appointments/week).
- Reflect upon feedback from writing consultants and fine-tune your assignment(s) between your Writing Center appointments.
Writing Center Appointment Policies
- You can use our services up to 3 times a week (one appointment per day) during your writing process.
- Cancellations: Cancellations and rescheduling are not permitted within 2 hour(s) of the appointment time.
- No Show Policy:
- If an appointment is not canceled and you do not attend the appointment, you will receive a No Show.
- If you show up for your appointment more than 5 minutes after your appointment start time, you will forfeit your slot and receive a No Show.
- More than 3 No Shows in a semester results in loss of appointment privileges for that semester.
Ready to make your appointment for an in-person session? Click below.
Looking for an online session? Please see Distance Tutoring section below. Appointments are only available for in-person sessions.
Meet the Writing Center Team
Learn more about each of our writing consultants and view their schedules by visiting the Setmore Downtown Writing Consultants page.
Access Writing Resources for Students
Visit our Downtown Campus Writing Center Resources page to access our guides and handouts to help you in your writing.
Please tell us how we're doing! This is also an opportunity for you to tell your success story or offer suggestions for growth and improvement. We are always striving to better our services to accommodate your needs as well as recognizing our writing consultants and desk assistants for the amazing support they provide. Share your feedback via the Downtown Campus Learning Support Services (LSS) Experience Feedback Form.
Distance Tutoring, which is live online tutoring provided by Valencia College Tutors, is available to all Downtown campus students (inclusive of UCF Downtown students).
You can easily access Valencia College’s FREE Distance Tutoring & Tech Support from a computer, laptop or mobile device.
Distance Tutoring services are provided fully online via Zoom. Through this service, you will receive real-time assistance via a Valencia College Tutor. Online tutoring is offered in: mathematics, sciences, accounting & economics, computer programming, EAP and foreign languages, and writing.
Online Learning Technology Support services are also available. You can receive assistance with navigating: Canvas, OneDrive, Zoom, YouTube, and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint). Support is also provided for video editing (via iMovie and MovieMaker) and converting documents from a Mac to a PC. Tech support is available live (on-demand) via Zoom, by appointment, or via email. You are encouraged to use the 24/7 Canvas Help located inside Canvas by clicking on the “Help” icon.
To get started using the Distance Tutoring & Tech Support services, please visit valenciacollege.edu/tutoring. Through this site, you can view the schedule of tutors/tech support assistants, find available times, learn more about the services, and access a collection of supplemental resources that are available 24/7.
Distance Tutoring Hours of Operation*:
Monday-Friday: 10 am – 9 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 11 am – 7 pm
* Available times and tutors vary by course, so please be sure to check the most up-to-date on the webpage.
Scheduled Distance Tutoring Closures for Spring 2023:
- MLK Jr. Day: Monday, January 16th
- Learning Day: Friday, February 10th
- Spring Break: Monday, March 13th - Sunday, March 19th
- Last day of Distance Tutoring for Spring: Sunday, April 30th
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Downtown Writing Center located?
Dr. Phillips Academic Commons (DPAC), Room 330K (inside the LSC)
When can I begin making Writing Center appointments for the spring?
Face-to-face writing consultations begin the second week of classes for the spring semester on Tuesday, January 17th. You can view available times and make your appointments now by visiting dtcwritingcenter.setmore.com.
Prefer getting writing assistance online? Distance Tutoring will begin on Monday, January 9th, for the spring semester. No appointment is necessary. Visit valenciacollege.edu/tutoring to connect with a writing consultant.
What is the last day I can receive writing assistance for the semester?
The last day for face-to-face writing consultations is Tuesday, April 25th. View available times and make your appointment by visiting dtcwritingcenter.setmore.com.
Online writing assistance via Distance Tutoring ends on Sunday, April 30th. No appointment is necessary. Visit valenciacollege.edu/tutoring to connect with a writing consultant.
Swing by the Writing Center (WC) in DPAC 330K or call (407) 235-3730.
Looking for Free Subject Tutoring and Equipment Rentals?
Click here to learn about the Learning Support Center (LSC).