About the Writing Center
The Writing Center (WC) at the Downtown campus offers free 30-minute writing consultations on an appointment basis for students who need assistance with all types of writing.
Free Writing Consultations
The Downtown Campus Writing Center offers students:
- One-on-one learning assistance related to any part of the writing process (inclusive of brainstorming, outlining, formatting, citations, etc.)
- Assistance with various types of college writing (i.e. essays, lab reports, proposals, scholarships, job applications, cover letters, etc.)
- Feedback on writing assignments
- Ways to engage in the writing process
- Guidance on properly formatting a paper in the designated documentation style
- Assistance with avoiding plagiarism and properly citing sources
- Skills to become independent learners
- Review sessions for PERT reading and writing:
- For more information, please visit the Testing Center website in the "Downtown Campus Retake Procedures" section at the bottom of the page.
Recommendations (for getting the most out of your appointments):
- Bring your assignment (paper or electronic copy), sources, course materials, and questions to the appointment. (HINT: Paper draft copies allow for optimization of your time.)
- Identify and share your goals for the consultation (in the appointment comments and at the beginning of your appointment).
- Let your writing consultant know the assignment requirements and your professor’s expectations.
- The writing consultant will discuss as much as is reasonable in a 25-minute consultation.
- At the conclusion of your consultation, you are welcomed to schedule additional appointments to continue your progress on your assignment (as long as you are not exceeding 1 appointment/day and 3 appointments/week).
- Reflect upon feedback from writing consultants and fine-tune your assignment(s) between your Writing Center appointments.
- You can use our services up to 3 times a week (one appointment per day) during your writing process.
- Cancellations: Cancellations and rescheduling are not permitted within 2 hour(s) of the appointment time.
- No Show Policy: If an appointment is not canceled and you do not attend the appointment, you will receive a No Show. If you show up for your appointment more than 5 minutes after your appointment start time, you will forfeit your slot and receive a No Show. More than 3 No Shows in a semester results in loss of appointment privileges for that semester.
Ready to make your Writing Center appointment?
Please come by the WC to tell us how we're doing! This is also an opportunity for you to tell your success story or offer suggestions for growth and improvement. We are always striving to better our services to accommodate your needs as well as recognizing our writing consultants for the amazing support they provide.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Downtown Writing Center located?
Dr. Phillips Academic Commons (DPAC), Room 320
When can I begin making Writing Center appointments?
Now! Visit www.dtcwritingcenter.setmore.com to view available times and make your appointment(s).
Have questions? Call the Downtown Writing Center: (407) 235-3730