All Downtown Campus Students:
Live online writing assistance is available beginning Monday, January 11th, for the spring.
You can easily access Valencia’s FREE distance tutoring and tech support from a computer, laptop or mobile device.
Distance tutoring services are provided fully online via Zoom. Through this service, you will receive real-time assistance via a Valencia tutor. Just like with in-person writing consultations, online writing consultants are able to help with various types of writing, including analytical papers, essays, resumes, and more. Online writing consultants help students with any part of the writing process including brainstorming ideas, outlining essays, creating drafts, and provide guidance on grammar, punctuation, style and formatting.
Online Learning Technology Support services are also available. You can receive assistance with navigating: Canvas, OneDrive, Zoom, YouTube, and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint). Support is also provided for video editing (via iMovie and MovieMaker) and converting documents from a Mac to a PC. Tech support is available live (on-demand) via Zoom, by appointment, or via email. You are encouraged to use the 24/7 Canvas Help located inside Canvas by clicking on the “Help” icon.
To get started using the Distance Tutoring and Learning Technology Support services, please visit www.valenciacollege.edu/tutoring. Through this site, you can view the schedule of tutors/tech support assistants, find available times, learn more about the services, and access a collection of supplemental resources that are available 24/7.
Hours of Operation*:
Monday-Friday: 8 am – 10 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 9 am – 7 pm
* Available times and tutors vary by course, so please be sure to check the most up-to-date schedule here.
Scheduled Distance Tutoring Closures for Spring 2021:
- Monday, January 18th: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Friday, February 12th: Valencia College Learning Day
- Monday, March 8th, through Sunday, March 14th: Spring Break
About the Writing Center
The Writing Center (WC) at the Downtown campus offers free 30-minute writing consultations on an appointment basis for students who need assistance with various types of writing.
Free Writing Consultations
PLEASE NOTE: During the fall 2020 semester, live online writing assistance will be offered. No appointments are needed for online writing assistance! Please see the top of this page for more information.
The Downtown Campus Writing Center offers students:
- One-on-one learning assistance related to any part of the writing process (inclusive of brainstorming, outlining, formatting, citations, etc.)
- Assistance with various types of college writing (i.e. essays, lab reports, proposals, scholarships, job applications, cover letters, etc.)
- Feedback on writing assignments
- Ways to engage in the writing process
- Guidance on properly formatting a paper in the designated documentation style
- Assistance with avoiding plagiarism and properly citing sources
- Skills to become independent learners
- Review sessions for PERT reading and writing:
- For more information, please visit the Testing Center website in the "Downtown Campus Retake Procedures" section at the bottom of the page.
Recommendations (Get the most out of your appointments):
- Bring your assignment (paper or electronic copy), sources, course materials, and questions to the appointment. (HINT: Paper draft copies allow for optimization of your time.)
- Identify and share your goals for the consultation (in the appointment comments and at the beginning of your appointment).
- Let your writing consultant know the assignment requirements and your professor’s expectations.
- The writing consultant will discuss as much as is reasonable in a 25-minute consultation.
- At the conclusion of your consultation, you are welcomed to schedule additional appointments to continue your progress on your assignment (as long as you are not exceeding 1 appointment/day and 3 appointments/week).
- Reflect upon feedback from writing consultants and fine-tune your assignment(s) between your Writing Center appointments.
- You can use our services up to 3 times a week (one appointment per day) during your writing process.
- Cancellations: Cancellations and rescheduling are not permitted within 2 hour(s) of the appointment time.
- No Show Policy: If an appointment is not canceled and you do not attend the appointment, you will receive a No Show. If you show up for your appointment more than 5 minutes after your appointment start time, you will forfeit your slot and receive a No Show. More than 3 No Shows in a semester results in loss of appointment privileges for that semester.
No appointment needed during the spring 2021 semester!
See the top of this page for more information.
Please come by the WC to tell us how we're doing! This is also an opportunity for you to tell your success story or offer suggestions for growth and improvement. We are always striving to better our services to accommodate your needs as well as recognizing our writing consultants for the amazing support they provide.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Downtown Writing Center located?
Dr. Phillips Academic Commons (DPAC), Room 330
When can I begin making Writing Center appointments?
During the fall 2020 semester, since we are still offering fully online writing assistance, no appointments are needed! Please see the top of this page for more information.
Have questions? Contact Ning Christopher, Learning Support Services Manager for the Downtown Campus, via email (email@example.com) or call (407) 582-1120.