The Writing Center (WC) is returning to face-to-face operations in fall 2021!
About the Writing Center
The Writing Center (WC) at the Downtown campus offers free 30-minute writing consultations on an appointment basis for students who need assistance with various types of writing.
Free Writing Consultations
The Downtown Campus Writing Center offers students:
- One-on-one learning assistance related to any part of the writing process (inclusive of brainstorming, outlining, formatting, citations, etc.)
- Assistance with various types of college writing (i.e. essays, lab reports, proposals, scholarships, job applications, cover letters, etc.)
- Feedback on writing assignments
- Ways to engage in the writing process
- Guidance on properly formatting a paper in the designated documentation style
- Assistance with avoiding plagiarism and properly citing sources
- Skills to become independent learners
- Review sessions for PERT reading and writing:
- If you are retaking the PERT reading and writing, you may want to go over the review
packets prior to the test. If you need a refresher on some of the topics, feel free
to schedule a Writing Center appointment and a writing consultant will be more than
happy to assist you.
- Please keep in mind that you will be asked to identify a few specific questions or practice problems from the sample tests and/or review materials that you would like to work on with the consultant. The consultant will not be available to go over the entire sample test or review packet with each student.
- For more information about each placement test and to view sample tests and review materials, please visit the Testing Center website and go to the Placement Testing section near the bottom of the page.
- If you are retaking the PERT reading and writing, you may want to go over the review packets prior to the test. If you need a refresher on some of the topics, feel free to schedule a Writing Center appointment and a writing consultant will be more than happy to assist you.
Recommendations (Get the most out of your appointments):
- Bring your assignment (paper or electronic copy), sources, course materials, and questions
to the appointment.
- Do not forget to bring your assignment description and the rubric. This will assist the consultant in helping you align with the assignment expectations.
- With the current social distancing practices, electronic copies of your assignment are preferred. If you choose to go with the paper option, please bring 2 copies to allow for distancing and optimization of your time.
- Identify and share your goals for the consultation (in the appointment comments and at the beginning of your appointment).
- Let your writing consultant know the assignment requirements and your professor’s expectations.
- The writing consultant will discuss as much as is reasonable in a 25-minute consultation.
- At the conclusion of your consultation, you are welcomed to schedule additional appointments to continue your progress on your assignment (as long as you are not exceeding 1 appointment/day and 3 appointments/week).
- Reflect upon feedback from writing consultants and fine-tune your assignment(s) between your Writing Center appointments.
Writing Center Appointment Policies
- You can use our services up to 3 times a week (one appointment per day) during your writing process.
- Cancellations: Cancellations and rescheduling are not permitted within 2 hour(s) of the appointment time.
- No Show Policy:
- If an appointment is not canceled and you do not attend the appointment, you will receive a No Show.
- If you show up for your appointment more than 5 minutes after your appointment start time, you will forfeit your slot and receive a No Show.
- More than 3 No Shows in a semester results in loss of appointment privileges for that semester.
Ready to make your appointment? Click below.
Please come by the WC to tell us how we're doing! This is also an opportunity for you to tell your success story or offer suggestions for growth and improvement. We are always striving to better our services to accommodate your needs as well as recognizing our writing consultants for the amazing support they provide.
Feedback can also be emailed to Ning Christopher, Downtown campus Learning Support Services Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Distance Tutoring, which is live online tutoring provided by Valencia Tutors, is available beginning Monday, August 23rd, for the fall.
You can easily access Valencia’s FREE Distance Tutoring & Tech Support from a computer, laptop or mobile device.
Distance Tutoring services are provided fully online via Zoom. Through this service, you will receive real-time assistance via a Valencia tutor. Online tutoring is offered in: mathematics, sciences, accounting & economics, computer programming, EAP and foreign languages, and writing.
Online Learning Technology Support services are also available. You can receive assistance with navigating: Canvas, OneDrive, Zoom, YouTube, and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint). Support is also provided for video editing (via iMovie and MovieMaker) and converting documents from a Mac to a PC. Tech support is available live (on-demand) via Zoom, by appointment, or via email. You are encouraged to use the 24/7 Canvas Help located inside Canvas by clicking on the “Help” icon.
To get started using the Distance Tutoring & Tech Support services, please visit www.valenciacollege.edu/tutoring. Through this site, you can view the schedule of tutors/tech support assistants, find available times, learn more about the services, and access a collection of supplemental resources that are available 24/7.
Distance Tutoring Hours of Operation*:
Monday-Friday: 10 am – 9 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 11 am – 7 pm
* Available times and tutors vary by course, so please be sure to check the most up-to-date on the webpage.
Scheduled Distance Tutoring Closures for Fall 2021:
- Labor Day: Monday, Sept. 6th
- Veteran’s Day: Thursday, Nov. 11th
- Thanksgiving Break: Wednesday, Nov. 24th - Sunday, Nov. 28th
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Downtown Writing Center located?
Dr. Phillips Academic Commons (DPAC), Room 330K
When can I begin making Writing Center appointments?
Face-to-face writing consultations begin on Monday, August 30th. View available times and make your appointment by visiting dtcwritingcenter.setmore.com.
Prefer getting writing assistance online? Distance Tutoring begins Monday, August 23rd. No appointment is necessary. Visit www.valenciacollege.edu/tutoring to connect with a writing consultant.
Swing by the Writing Center (WC) in DPAC 330K or call (407) 235-3730.
Looking for Free Subject Tutoring and Equipment Rentals?
Click here to learn about the Learning Support Center (LSC).