Residency Frequently Asked Questions

What is a "Florida resident for tuition purposes?"

Under Florida law, being a legal Florida resident does not automatically qualify you for in-state tuition.

A "Florida resident for tuition purposes" is a person who has, or a dependent person whose parent, guardian, or spouse has established and maintained legal residence in Florida for at least twelve consecutive months prior to the first day of the term. A parent is either one of the parents of the student, any guardian of the student, or any person in a parental relationship to the student.

Please Note: Students, who depend on out-of-state parents for support, are presumed to be legal residents of the same state as their parents.

Submit Your Florida Residency Form

In order to quality for in-state tuition, you must submit your Florida Residency Form and upload the necessary documentation.

Which residency affidavit should I submit?

All claimants for Florida residency for tuition purposes must submit a residency affidavit. New and readmission applicants should complete the Residency Affidavit at the time of application for admission/readmission.

What is a Dependent/Independent student?

See the description in the Depending vs. Independent page.

If my family owns a house/condominium in Florida, can I be considered a resident for tuition purposes?

Home ownership does not automatically qualify you for Florida residency for tuition purposes. Residence in Florida must be as a bona fide domicile rather than for the purpose of maintaining a residence incident to enrollment at an institution of higher education. Owning property in Florida, while residing in another state, will not of its own merit meet residency requirements.

What if I've lived in or attended a school in Florida in the past?

To be considered a "Florida Resident for Tuition Purposes" you must prove through official and/or legal documents that you or the claimant have established bona fide domicile in the state of Florida for at least 12 months preceding the first day of classes of the term for which Florida residency is sought. You do not receive credit for any time that you spent in the state in prior years.

If I live near the Florida border, can I qualify for Florida residency?

No. Living near the state of Florida does not grant the student residency for tuition purposes. However, active duty military personnel and their dependents stationed within 50 miles of the Florida border may claim residency based on the official military orders. Official documentation is subject to evaluation and verification.

Why do I have to prove that I'm a Florida resident if I graduated from a Florida High School?

Just graduating from a Florida high school is not sufficient proof of Florida residency for tuition purposes. As examples, you might live in another state and be attending a Florida school as a boarding student in a private school; or you may have moved from another state during your senior year and have less than the requisite 12 months required for residency for tuition purposes. You must still submit the appropriate documentation to prove your bona fide domicile in the state of Florida for at least 12 months preceding the first day of classes of the term for which Florida residency is sought.

What if I just renewed my Driver's License, Voter Registration, and/or Vehicle Registration?

If your documentation was recently renewed in accordance with state policy/regulation, you may submit the original date of issue on the residency affidavit. However, you may be asked to provide additional documentation to verify the dates you report.

Do I meet the qualifications for the waiver?

Yes, if you meet these qualifications: Attended a Florida high school for the last three consecutive years immediately before graduation from a Florida high school Submitted an official high school transcript providing evidence of high school attendance as listed above Submitted an admission application to a Florida College System or State University System institution within 24 months of high school graduation.

Can I be considered a FL resident even though my immigration status is Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).

No, not at this time.  DACA students are not eligible to receive in-state fees according to the Florida Department of Education, Division of Colleges. Please feel free to look at the exceptions section of our website to see if you qualify for a waiver.

What are the deadlines for residency documentation?

  • Documentation must be submitted on or before the first day of the term for which you are enrolling. Check the Academic Calendar to verify the first day of classes.
  • Documentation must prove that you have lived in Florida for at least 12 consecutive months before the first day of classes.

What happens if my documents do not meet the requirements?

If your documents do not verify as you expected, your status will be changed to nonresident and you will have to apply for reclassification. You will have until the first day of classes to submit any additional documents to support your claim of residency. However, if you do not provide sufficient documentation, you will be assessed out-of-state fees and later, you can request a reclassification of residency. However, the burden of proof for reclassification is stricter, requiring three verified documents as opposed to the two that are required in the initial application.

What are acceptable documents for proof of relationship if my parents and I have different last names?

  • Birth Certificate (s)
  • Prior year's tax documents
  • Marriage Certificate (if name differs from birth certificate)