Welcome, VC Puma.
More than 11,000 students, faculty, alumni and community members voted for Valencia College’s new mascot. You chose the Puma, and we agree…this is one cool cat.
Why the Puma?
We asked our student body and community to consider possible mascots that embodied
the qualities of Valencia College students–strength, resilience, the determination
to overcome obstacles, and perseverance. When all the votes were in, the puma rose
to the top. After all, this big cat rebounded in population from 20 in 1973 to around
200 today, despite encroaching development and habitat degradation. Pumas are also
self-reliant and strong. In short, pumas go after what they want, and stick with it
until they achieve their goal–just like Valencia College students.
Puma Points of Interest
- Pumas are called the ‘ghosts of the forest’ because of their quickness and stealthy walk.
- Pumas are one of the only big cat species that purrs.
- Some pumas can weigh up to 160 pounds.
- Puma kittens are usually two months old when they begin forging for food with their mothers, and two years old when they strike out on their own.
- Pumas are strong, beautiful animals that thrive in connected communities.
Use these Giphy stickers to get the word out that the VC Puma is our new mascot. Don’t “paws,” do it now.
Share Your Puma Pride
At the Campus Store, you’ll find VC Puma-branded tees, tumblers, keychains, ties and more, and that’s just the beginning. New VC Puma merch will continue to arrive. To check out the latest and do some shopping, stop by in person or visit the campus store online.