Writing tutors strive to help students become better, more confident writers. Tutors actively guide and support writers throughout the writing process. We ask that students come prepared to have fulfilling conversations about their writing, and we highly recommend that students speak with a tutor even before they begin writing. Having conversations before drafting can help students determine a path and organize their ideas. Our goal is to help students master skills that they can apply independently to all their writing.
- Students can talk with a tutor to discuss writing assignments for a variety of classes: English, speech, humanities, psychology, New Student Experience, history, and more.
- Students can talk with a tutor during any point in the writing process: prewriting, drafting, revision, and editing.
- Consultation lengths vary, but they are usually 20 to 45 minutes.
- Please bring any material that will help you and the tutor have a great conversation. This includes prompts, rubrics, notes, and revision plans.
Summer 2020 Schedule
- Please visit https://libguides.valenciacollege.edu/distancetutoring for tutoring hours and support.
The Writing Process
Successful writers go back and forth between stages of planning, drafting, revising, and editing. The Plaza staff provides assistance during any state of the writing process.
- Prewriting: Understanding prompts, brainstorming, discussing and developing ideas.
- Drafting: Developing a thesis statement, finding a focus, choosing a purpose, and targeting an audience.
- Revising: Improving your paper's organization, elaborating on ideas, making ideas clearer, identifying and content that goes off-topic.
- Editing: Checking for errors in grammar and punctuation. Please note that tutors will not edit or proofread your essays for you. However, they will help students learn how to find and correct errors in grammar and punctuation.