Valencia College/VA Office
The VA office at Valencia College strives to provide the best customer service possible. We do this by meeting all of the requirements put forth by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Then we tackle as many of the recommended services the VA suggests and create our own services that we know are important to the success of students using VA educational benefits. If you feel the VA office has fallen short of our requirements/goals or simply want to suggest something they may better the experience for current and future students please feel free to email us so we may address your concerns.
Valencia also has a new student electronic academic dispute and administrative complaint resolution web page.
Valencia's VA Office Responsibilities
Keep VA informed of the enrollment status of Veterans and other eligible persons. Use basic forms to keep VA informed, such as:
- Enrollment Certification (VA Form 22-1999) to report required enrollment information
- Notice of Change in Student Status (VA Form 22-1999b) to report changes to enrollment information
- Monitor the subjects pursued by a student to certify to VA only those subjects that apply to the student’s program
- Monitor student’s grades to ensure s/he is making satisfactory progress; report when a
- Student was terminated due to unsatisfactory progress
- Monitor student’s conduct and report when student is suspended or dismissed for unsatisfactory conduct
Keep up-to-date on current VA rules and benefits
- Provide e-mail address to VA Education Liaison Representative (ELR)
- Read and maintain VA bulletins provided by your ELR
- Attend VA training opportunities
Maintain records of VA students and make all records available for inspection:
- Retain file of VA papers submitted & records of academic progress, program pursuit, etc.
- Maintain records for at least three years following the student’s last date of attendance
- Ensure that records are kept in a safe place and that the privacy of VA students is protected
A school’s file for a VA student should contain:
- Copies of all VA paperwork
- The school’s transcript, grade reports, drop slips, registration slips (for those courses dropped during drop/add), tuition and fee charges, transcripts from previous schools with evaluations of same, student’s school application, records of disciplinary action, program outline, a curriculum guide or graduation evaluation form, and any other pertinent forms
These are additional activities that schools are encouraged to carry out, but are not required by VA.
- Assist VA students in applying for education benefits
- Maintain copies of appropriate application forms
- When requested, help Veterans and dependents fill out and send in applications
- If the student cannot resolve payment problems, assist through VA channels designated for school officials
- Disseminate and/or post information on VA education benefits, programs, and contact points
- Ensure that VA students are fully aware of their responsibilities to the school
Department of Veteran Affairs
The Right Now Web portal can be used to voice complaints to the VA but it can also be used to ask questions about your benefits where you might need a formal in writing response.
This system can be used for concerns such as:
- I have not gotten paid yet for my educational benefits
- My monthly stipend does not seem to be the correct amount
- I do not seem to be receiving my Kicker payment
- What application should I fill out if I am a (veteran, dependent, disabled)
Basically anything that is VA specific that does not directly involve Valencia College or the Principles of Excellence.
Principles of Excellence
You may submit a complaint to the Department of Veterans Affairs if Valencia College is failing to follow the Principles of Excellence agreement. VA will only review the following types of complaints through this complaint system:
- Recruiting/ Marketing Practices
- Financial Issues (Tuition/Fee charges)
- Student Loans
- Post Graduation Job Opportunities
- Change in Degree Plan/Requirements
- Quality of Education
- Grade Policy
- Release of Transcripts
- Transfer of Credits
- Refund Issues
We list what can be addressed because Valencia College does not want your concerns to be over looked/not addressed. This portal is very specific in what types of complaints it will address so if you submit concerns that do not address the Principles of Excellence your complaint will be disregarded. Please look at all three complaint systems listed and determine which one best suits your concerns.