Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve — Chapter 1606, Title 10 U.S.C


Who Is Eligible?

Reservist must be actively drilling, have a 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserve, and satisfactory participation in required Selective Service training to be eligible. 


You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits, no extensions.

If you are eligible for two or more educational benefits, the new maximum would be 48 months.

Period of Eligibility

Your eligibility for the program normally ends on the day you leave the Selected Reserve.

Your eligibility may extend if the completion of your program was delayed because of an incurred injury or aggravated disability from service in selected reserve.


The kicker may be a part of the original enlistment contract or part of a re-enlistment contract. It is an additional amount added to the benefit. The possible monthly kicker levels are $100, $200, and $350.

Payment Rates

VA students who are eligible to receive a monthly housing allowance (MHA) or Subsistence Allowance rates, please refer to the GI Bill comparison tool at or call the General Education Hotline 1-888-442-4551.

Required Documents

Student Category Submit To Valencia Request From Valencia
First Time Using Benefits
  • C.O.E; (or) 22-1990
  • NOBE
  • Certification
  • Statement of Understanding
Transfer Students
  • 22-1995
  • Certification
  • Statement of Understanding
Transient Students
  • Transient Form
  • Certification

Document Details

C.O.E - (Certificate of Eligibility)

      • Obtain this from the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551

22-1990 -The Department of Veterans Affairs Application for Educational Benefits.

      • Submit 22-1990 through VONAPP. Print out and provide a copy with confirmation number to a Valencia College VA Representative.

N.O.B.E - Notice of Basic Eligibility.

22-1995 - Change of Place of Training Form.

      • Submit 22-1995 through VONAPP. Print out and provide a copy with confirmation number to a Valencia College VA Representative.

Certification - Valencia College Veteran Affairs Certification of Enrollment Request

      • The Certification needs to be submitted every semester and can be obtained at your local Valencia Veterans Services Campus or Online.

Transient Form - Authorization to take course(s) at a secondary institution

    • For Florida Institutions, submit a Transient Student Admissions Application
    • For all other states, request a letter from your primary school addressed to Valencia College Certifying Official. Please refer to example.

Example of Transient Letter

[Name and Address of Primary School]


[Name and Address of Secondary School]

[Student's Name (Claim Number)] is a chapter [e.g., 30] student at [Name of School (facility code)] pursuing a [Name of Program, e.g. B.S. History degree].

The course(s) listed below satisfy [Name of Program] requirements and will transfer at full value to [Name of School].

[List course(s) by title and number.]

Student intends to take the above course(s) at [Secondary School] during [Identify term, e.g. Spring term 2018] as a guest student. Please certify the courses to VA as the secondary school.

[Signature of the Certifying Official]
[Telephone Number]