Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty — Chapter 30, Title 38 U.S.C
Who is Eligible?
Chapter 30 benefits generally apply to honorably discharged veterans who began active duty service for the first time after June 30, 1985, who had their pay reduced by $100 a month for 12 months. For information on the four eligibility categories, visit the VA.gov information page for Chapter 30.
The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. It may extend to the end of term if it expires during the term. If there’s a kicker, the kicker doesn’t extend.
The monthly benefit paid to you is based on your enrollment, length of your service, and your category.
Veterans may have a kicker, additional contributions, or both. The higher benefit rates are paid automatically when benefits are paid. If veterans don’t receive the benefit they believe they are entitled to receive, they should call The Department of Veterans Affairs about the discrepancy so that VA can resolve the discrepancy with the Department of Defense.
Kicker is part of the enlistment contract. It might be referred to as; Army College
Fund, Navy Sea College Fund.
- For example, $12,000 kicker is $333.33 ($12,000 / 36 months).
- Buy Up a service member may contribute up to $600.00 more into the program, which will increase the basic full-time Chapter 30 benefit by $150.00 per month. Not refundable for those who elect Chapter 33.
The $1,200.00 Contribution toward Chapter 30 is non-refundable with one exception.
- Those who elect and exhaust their Chapter 33 entitlement and are receiving a monthly housing allowance can receive a refund of the $1,200.00 contribution, proportional to the amount of unused chapter 30 entitlements at the time of election for chapter 33.
- To get the refund, you must request it in writing to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Period of Eligibility
Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. It may be extended for a later period of active duty or disability that prevents completion of program.
Fall & Spring Terms
|Enrollment||Credit Hours||Monthly Rate (3 year or more obligation*)||Monthly Rate (Less than 3 year obligation**)|
|Less than 1/2 time more than 1/4 time||4-5||Tuition & fees not to exceed $894.50||Tuition & fees not to exceed $727.00|
|1/4 time or less||1-3||Tuition & fees not to exceed $447.25||Tuition & fees not to exceed $363.50|
|Enrollment||Credit Hours For 12 Weeks of Classes||Credit Hours For (TWJ or TWK) 8 Weeks of Classes||Credit Hours For 6 Weeks of Classes||Credit Hours For 4 Weeks of Classes||Monthly Rate (3 year or more obligation*)||Monthly Rate (Less than 3 year obligation**)|
|Less than 1/2 time more than 1/4 time||3||2||n/a||1||Tuition & Fees not to exceed $894.50||Tuition & Fees not to exceed $727.00|
|1/4 time or less||1-2||1||1||n/a||Tuition & Fees not to exceed $447.25||Tuition & Fees not to exceed $363.50|
- * Entitlement charged at the rate of one month for each $1,789.00 paid.
- ** Entitlement charged at the rate of one month for each $1,454.00 paid.
|Student Category||Submit To Valencia||Request From Valencia|
|First Time Using Benefits||
- Obtain this from the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551
- Submit 22-1990 through VONAPP. Print out and provide a copy with confirmation number to a Valencia College VA Representative.
- The DD-214 is issued upon a military service member's retirement, separation, or discharge from active-duty military.
- Submit 22-1995 through VONAPP. Print out and provide a copy with confirmation number to a Valencia College VA Representative.
- The Certification needs to be submitted every semester and can be obtained at your local Valencia Veterans Services Campus or Online.
- For Florida Institutions, submit a Transient Student Admissions Application
- For all other states, request a letter from your primary school addressed to Valencia College Certifying Official. Please refer to example.
C.O.E - (Certificate of Eligibility)
22-1990 -The Department of Veterans Affairs Application for Educational Benefits.
DD-214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.
22-1995 - Change of Place of Training Form.
Certification - Valencia College Veteran Affairs Certification of Enrollment Request
Transient Form - Authorization to take course(s) at a secondary institution
Example of Transient Letter
[Name and Address of Primary School]
[Name and Address of Secondary School]
[Student's Name (Claim Number)] is a chapter [e.g., 30] student at [Name of School (facility code)] pursuing a [Name of Program, e.g. B.S. History degree].
The course(s) listed below satisfy [Name of Program] requirements and will transfer at full value to [Name of School].
[List course(s) by title and number.]
Student intends to take the above course(s) at [Secondary School] during [Identify term, e.g. Spring term 2018] as a guest student. Please certify the courses to VA as the secondary school.
[Signature of the Certifying Official]