The Post-9/11 GI-Bill — Chapter 33, Title 38 U.S.C


Who is Eligible?

You may be eligible if:

  • You served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001; or
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days following September 10, 2001.

Note: Children of a member of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, may be eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits under the Marine Gunnery John David Fry Scholarship Program.

The following table lists the percentage of maximum benefits available based on the number of aggregate days of active duty served after September 10, 2001.

Active Duty Period Percentage of Maximum Benefit
At least 36 months 100%
At least 30 continuous days and discharged due to service-connected disability 100%
At least 30 months, less than 36 months 90%
At least 24 months, less than 30 months 80%
At least 18 months, less than 24 months 70%
At least 12 months, less than 18 months 60%
At least 6 months, less than 12 months 50%
At least 90 days, less than 6 months 40%

Period of Eligibility

You may receive up to 36 months of entitlement.

You will be eligible for benefits for 15 years from your last period of active duty of at least 90 consecutive days.

Can I Transfer My Entitlement To My Dependents?

You must be a member of the uniformed services to transfer your unused benefits to your spouse or dependent(s). Generally, you must agree to serve four more years when transferring benefits.

See also: Information on Chapter 33.

Payment Rates

VA students who are eligible to receive a monthly housing allowance (MHA) or Subsistence Allowance rates, please refer to the GI Bill comparison tool at or call the General Education Hotline 1-888-442-4551.

Required Documents

Student Category Submit To Valencia Request From Valencia
First Time Using Benefits
  • Certification
  • Statement of Understanding
Transfer Students
  • Certification
  • Statement of Understanding
Transient Students
  • Transient Form
  • Certification

Document Details

C.O.E - (Certificate of Eligibility)

      • Obtain this from the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551

22-1995 - Change of Place of Training Form (Veterans).

22-5495 - Change of Place of Training Form (Dependants).

      • Submit 22-1995 or 22-5495 through VONAPP. Print out and provide a copy with confirmation number to a Valencia College VA Representative.

DD-214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.

      • The DD-214 is issued upon a military service member's retirement, separation, or discharge from active-duty military.

Certification - Valencia College Veteran Affairs Certification of Enrollment Request

      • The Certification needs to be submitted every semester and can be obtained at your local Valencia Veterans Services Campus or Online.

Transient Form - Authorization to take course(s) at a secondary institution

    • For Florida Institutions, submit a Transient Student Admissions Application
    • For all other states, request a letter from your primary school addressed to Valencia College Certifying Official. Please refer to example.

Example of Transient Letter

[Name and Address of Primary School]


[Name and Address of Secondary School]

[Student's Name (Claim Number)] is a chapter [e.g., 30] student at [Name of School (facility code)] pursuing a [Name of Program, e.g. B.S. History degree].

The course(s) listed below satisfy [Name of Program] requirements and will transfer at full value to [Name of School].

[List course(s) by title and number.]

Student intends to take the above course(s) at [Secondary School] during [Identify term, e.g. Spring term 2018] as a guest student. Please certify the courses to VA as the secondary school.

[Signature of the Certifying Official]
[Telephone Number]