The Post-9/11 GI-Bill — Chapter 33, Title 38 U.S.C
Who is Eligible?
You may be eligible if:
- You served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001; or
- You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days following September 10, 2001.
Note: Children of a member of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, may be eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits under the Marine Gunnery John David Fry Scholarship Program.
The following table lists the percentage of maximum benefits available based on the number of aggregate days of active duty served after September 10, 2001.
|Active Duty Period||Percentage of Maximum Benefit|
|At least 36 months||100%|
|At least 30 continuous days and discharged due to service-connected disability||100%|
|At least 30 months, less than 36 months||90%|
|At least 24 months, less than 30 months||80%|
|At least 18 months, less than 24 months||70%|
|At least 6 months, less than 18 months||60%|
|At least 90 days, less than 6 months||50%|
Period of Eligibility
You may receive up to 36 months of entitlement.
You will be eligible for benefits for 15 years from your last period of active duty of at least 90 consecutive days.
Can I Transfer My Entitlement To My Dependents?
You must be a member of the uniformed services to transfer your unused benefits to your spouse or dependent(s). Generally, you must agree to serve four more years when transferring benefits.
See also: VA.gov Information on Chapter 33.
|Student Category||Submit To Valencia||Completed During Initial Certification Appointment|
|First Time Using Benefits||
C.O.E - (Certificate of Eligibility)
DD-214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.
- The DD-214 is issued upon a military service member's retirement, separation, or discharge from active-duty military.
Certification - Valencia College Veteran Affairs Certification of Enrollment Request
- The Certification needs to be submitted every semester and can be obtained at your local Valencia Veterans Services Campus or Online.
Transient Form - Authorization to take course(s) at a secondary institution
- For Florida Institutions, submit a Transient Student Admissions Application
- For all other states, request a letter from your primary school addressed to Valencia College Certifying Official.