Dependents Educational Assistance — Chapter 35, Title 38 U.S.C.


Who is Eligible?

Dependents (spouse or child) of a veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability; or who is listed as a Prisoner of War or Missing in Action, may be eligible for these benefits. For further information, visit the website.


The program offers up to 45 months of educational benefits.

No extensions except for children in special restorative training.

Period of Eligibility

Eligibility rules are complex. Claimant should carefully read eligibility letter.


  • 10 years, if veteran rated permanently and totally disabled.
  • 20 years, if veteran rated permanently and totally disabled within 3 years of discharge or if death of veteran resulted while on active duty.


  • 8 years, if veteran rated permanently and totally disabled.
  • Child must be between the ages of 18 and 26.
    In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and can also continue after age 26.

Payment Rates

VA students who are eligible to receive a monthly housing allowance (MHA) or Subsistence Allowance rates, please refer to the GI Bill comparison tool at or call the General Education Hotline 1-888-442-4551.

Scholarships for Chapter 35 Dependants and Spouses

  1. Folds of Honor
    • For children and spouses of disabled veterans with a service connected disability of AT LEAST 10%
    • Applications accepted Jan 15 2015 – Mar 15 2015
  2.  Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased or Disabled Veterans
    • Scholarship for spouses and children whose vet has retired in the state of Florida with a 100% service disconnect, or deceased due to service disconnect.
  3.  Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship
    • For children of service members who died in active duty on or after September 11th, 2011.

Required Documents

Student Category Submit To Valencia Request From Valencia
First Time Using Benefits
  • Certification
  • Statement of Understanding
Transfer Students
  • Certification
  • Statement of Understanding
Transient Students
  • Transient Form
  • Certification
  • Statement of Understanding

Document Details

C.O.E - (Certificate of Eligibility)

      • Obtain this from the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551

22-5490 - The Department of Veterans Affairs Application for Educational Benefits.

      • Submit through VONAPP. Print out and provide a copy with confirmation number to a Valencia College VA Representative.

22-1995 - Change of Place of Training Form.

      • Submit through VONAPP. Print out and provide a copy with confirmation number to a Valencia College VA Representative.

Certification - Valencia College Veteran Affairs Certification of Enrollment Request

      • The Certification needs to be submitted every semester and can be obtained at your local Valencia Veterans Services Campus or Online.

Transient Form - Authorization to take course(s) at a secondary institution

    • For Florida Institutions, submit a Transient Student Admissions Application
    • For all other states, request a letter from your primary school addressed to Valencia College Certifying Official. Please refer to example.

Example of Transient Letter

[Name and Address of Primary School]


[Name and Address of Secondary School]

[Student's Name (Claim Number)] is a chapter [e.g., 30] student at [Name of School (facility code)] pursuing a [Name of Program, e.g. B.S. History degree].

The course(s) listed below satisfy [Name of Program] requirements and will transfer at full value to [Name of School].

[List course(s) by title and number.]

Student intends to take the above course(s) at [Secondary School] during [Identify term, e.g. Spring term 2018] as a guest student. Please certify the courses to VA as the secondary school.

[Signature of the Certifying Official]
[Telephone Number]