Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty — Chapter 30, Title 38 U.S.C


Who is Eligible?

Chapter 30 benefits generally apply to honorably discharged veterans who began active duty service for the first time after June 30, 1985, who had their pay reduced by $100 a month for 12 months. For information on the four eligibility categories, visit the information page for Chapter 30.


The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. It may extend to the end of term if it expires during the term. If there’s a kicker, the kicker doesn’t extend.

The monthly benefit paid to you is based on your enrollment, length of your service, and your category.


Veterans may have a kicker, additional contributions, or both. The higher benefit rates are paid automatically when benefits are paid. If veterans don’t receive the benefit they believe they are entitled to receive, they should call The Department of Veterans Affairs about the discrepancy so that VA can resolve the discrepancy with the Department of Defense.

  • Kicker is part of the enlistment contract. It might be referred to as; Army College Fund, Navy Sea College Fund.
    • For example, $12,000 kicker is $333.33 ($12,000 / 36 months).
  • Buy Up a service member may contribute up to $600.00 more into the program, which will increase the basic full-time Chapter 30 benefit by $150.00 per month. Not refundable for those who elect Chapter 33.
  • The $1,200.00 Contribution toward Chapter 30 is non-refundable with one exception.
    • Those who elect and exhaust their Chapter 33 entitlement and are receiving a monthly housing allowance can receive a refund of the $1,200.00 contribution, proportional to the amount of unused chapter 30 entitlements at the time of election for chapter 33.
    • To get the refund, you must request it in writing to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Period of Eligibility

Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. It may be extended for a later period of active duty or disability that prevents completion of program.


Payment Rates

VA students who are eligible to receive a monthly housing allowance (MHA) or Subsistence Allowance rates, please refer to the GI Bill comparison tool at or call the General Education Hotline 1-888-442-4551.

Required Documents

Student Category Submit To Valencia Completed During Initial Certification Appointment
First Time Using Benefits
  • C.O.E; (or) 22-1990
  • DD-214
  • Initial Certification Request
  • Statement of Understanding
Transfer Students
  • C.O.E (if for Valencia College) or 22-1995
  • DD-214
  • Initial Certification Request
  • Statement of Understanding
Transient Students
  • Transient Form
  • Initial Certification Request
  • Statement of Understanding

Document Details

C.O.E - (Certificate of Eligibility)

DD-214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.

      • The DD-214 is issued upon a military service member's retirement, separation, or discharge from active-duty military.

Certification - Valencia College Veteran Affairs Certification of Enrollment Request

      • The Certification needs to be submitted every semester and can be obtained at your local Valencia Veterans Services Campus or Online.

Transient Form - Authorization to take course(s) at a secondary institution