This certification is Valencia's way of annually recognizing and rewarding part-time faculty members who take advantage of Valencia's professional development activities. The certification supports faculty members in their ongoing commitment to the enhancement of their knowledge, skills and abilities that lead to student learning or academic success.
Be a part of a professional development program designed specifically for part-time faculty members. It provides an opportunity to enhance your teaching practice and student learning, while also becoming a part of a collaborative, innovative teaching community.
- Earn the designation of Associate Faculty member.
- Become part of a collaborative community made up of faculty members from your campus and college-wide.
- Get tools and training to help you meet the expectations for being a great teacher at Valencia.
- Take advantage of support and resources.
- Receive a pay raise (see Compensation below).
- Part-time faculty and librarians
- Non-faculty, full-time staff
- Part-time faculty members receive an increase in pay by approximately $40.00 per contact hour taught (a 3 contact hour course would provide approximately a $120.00 increase). *For exact amounts, please review pages 7-8 of the Salary Schedule.
- Non-faculty, full-time staff receive an increase in pay by approximately $40.00 per contact hour taught for overload courses only (a 3 contact hour course would provide approximately a $120.00 increase). *For exact amounts, please review pages 7-8 of the Salary Schedule.
- Continuing Education instructors and part-time faculty compensated hourly or by clock-hour are not eligible for additional compensation associated with the Associate Faculty program.
- Part-time librarians who earn the Associate Faculty certification receive an increase in their hourly rate of pay. *For exact amounts, please review page 12 of the Salary Schedule.
After the initial Associate Faculty Certificate is awarded, Associate Faculty are required to renew the certification annually. To continue receiving the increased compensation, faculty must complete 20 hours of qualifying faculty development activities each year (from July 1 - June 15) and apply for the Associate Faculty renewal. The renewal process is not automatic. For more information, see Renewal Certification Requirements section below.
Initial Certification Requirements
To earn the Associate Faculty Certificate, you will need to complete 60 hours of Faculty Development PD-awarding courses (see below). Earned hours are verified through Professional Development transcripts. After attaining the required 60 hours, complete the online Associate Faculty Certification Application by June 15th. Qualification in this program is not automatic. (see Application)
1. Required Course: 30 Hours
LCTS1110: Teaching in Our Learning College (Previously LCTS1111) - 30 PD Hours
This course introduces the Essential Competencies of a Valencia Educator and provides faculty with tools and resources to become more effective, learning-centered instructors. Participants will develop a "My Development Plan" and learning-centered syllabus. *It is recommended to successfully complete this course before completing optional courses.
2. Electives: 30 Hours
Successfully complete 30 hours of faculty development PD-awarding courses through Valencia.
*Recommended Electives and Course Schedule
For a list of recommended optional courses for faculty new to Valencia or new to teaching, see Recommended Courses.
Renewal Certification Requirements
After the initial Associate Faculty Certificate is awarded, Associate Faculty are required to renew the certification annually. To continue receiving the increased compensation, faculty must complete 20 hours of qualifying faculty development activities each year (from July 1 – June 15) and apply for the Associate Faculty renewal. The renewal process is not automatic. Please contact your Campus Director or FID with any questions. (see Application)
NOTICE: For faculty members renewing in the Associate Faculty Program who were granted initial Associate Faculty status prior to Spring 2009, contact Dori Haggerty at 407-582-1051 or email@example.com for specific details regarding your renewal.
How do I renew my Associate Faculty Certification using Valencia professional development only?
- Complete 20 hours of qualifying faculty development activities from July 1st - June 15th
- Complete the Associate Faculty Renewal application by June 15th
*New to the renewal process: Renewal with external professional development
For each renewal cycle, up to 5 professional development hours from an external professional development activity (conference, workshop, course, etc) may be applied towards your Associate Faculty Certification Renewal.
The requirements to renew with external professional development credit (up to 5 pd
- External professional development activites must be related to one of the Essential Competencies of a Valencia Educator.
- You must seek approval from your Dean to apply external professional development activities towards your Associate Faculty Certification Renewal prior to participating in the external activities. Your Dean will provide the form for documentation needed to complete the external activities, and the amount of professional development hours awarded (up to 5 per academic year) that will be applied towards the 20 professional development hours required for your renewal.
- Documentation of your participation in the external professional development activities must be provided. Documentation can include: transcript of successful completion, certificate of successful completion, conference attendance evidence, statement of application to practice (brief reflective statement or self-assessment of activity) or examples of application to practice (innovation, lesson plan, student work, etc)
- Once you completed the approved external professional development activities, submit form with your dean's signature along with the documentation of the completed activities as part of your Associate Faculty Renewal with external professional development application by June 15th. (see Application)
What happens if I do not meet the criteria to renew my Associate Faculty Annual Certificate?
If a faculty member does not meet the criteria for the Associate Faculty Annual Certification Renewal by June 15th deadline, the Associate Faculty Status will become inactive and the increase in compensation will cease beginning the next Fall term. The faculty member can regain the Associate Faculty Annual Certificate in any subsequent year by following the Renewal Certification Requirements.
TIMELINE FOR RENEWAL
Associate Faculty Certification Renewal Application
Eligible Faculty Members
*for renewal with external professional development, submit form signed by Dean by uploading with application
Transcript Verification Process
Office of Faculty Development
Associate Faculty list compiled
|Notification email and letter sent||Office of Faculty Development||July 15||Notify applicants of the status of their application|
Annual Report of Associate Faculty
(Effective for Fall, Spring, Summer A, B, C)
Office of Faculty Development
Annual Report of Associate Faculty sent to Human Resources and Divisions
Frequently Asked Questions
- When do I receive the compensation?
- Annual Associate Faculty Certification compensation is effective for the Fall, Spring, and Summer terms in the academic year after which certification is awarded.
- To continue earning the Associate Faculty Certification compensation, annual renewal is required.
- What is a “qualifying” faculty development activity?
- Any seminar, workshop or course listed in Valencia's Faculty and Instructional Development Catalog of Courses.
- Please note that Valencia Employee Development workshops do NOT count.
- How to select and register for faculty development activities.
- How do I apply for my initial Associate Faculty Certificate?*
- Complete the required 60 hours of qualifying faculty development activities by June 15.
- Complete the online Associate Faculty Certification Application by June 15.
- When should I complete the online application for the initial Associate Faculty Certificate?
- Faculty members should complete the online application AFTER the required hours have been completed.
- How do I keep track of my professional development hours?
- As of Fall 2005, a transcript of professional development activities has been available to faculty members through the Atlas system.
- How to access a professional development transcript
APPLY HERE for the 2021-2022 Associate Faculty Certification
Winter Park Campus Faculty - visit the Inside Winter Park webpage for the latest information about this program on your campus.