All Downtown Campus Students:
Live online tutoring is available beginning Monday, January 11th, for the spring.
You can easily access Valencia’s FREE distance tutoring and tech support from a computer, laptop or mobile device.
Distance tutoring services are provided fully online via Zoom. Through this service, you will receive real-time assistance via a Valencia tutor. Online tutoring is offered in: mathematics, sciences, accounting & economics, computer programming, EAP and foreign languages, and writing.
Online Learning Technology Support services are also available. You can receive assistance with navigating: Canvas, OneDrive, Zoom, YouTube, and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint). Support is also provided for video editing (via iMovie and MovieMaker) and converting documents from a Mac to a PC. Tech support is available live (on-demand) via Zoom, by appointment, or via email. You are encouraged to use the 24/7 Canvas Help located inside Canvas by clicking on the “Help” icon.
To get started using the Distance Tutoring and Learning Technology Support services, please visit www.valenciacollege.edu/tutoring. Through this site, you can view the schedule of tutors/tech support assistants, find available times, learn more about the services, and access a collection of supplemental resources that are available 24/7.
Hours of Operation*:
Monday-Friday: 8 am – 10 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 9 am – 7 pm
* Available times and tutors vary by course, so please be sure to check the most up-to-date schedule here.
Scheduled Distance Tutoring Closures for Spring 2021:
- Monday, January 18th: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Friday, February 12th: Valencia College Learning Day
- Monday, March 8th, through Sunday, March 14th: Spring Break
In-Person Tutoring for Select Upper Division Courses in the Learning Support Center (LSC)
There is limited in-person tutoring provided by UCF's Student Academic Resource Center (SARC) for select upper division courses. These tutoring sessions are available by appointment for select courses in digital media (DIG 3716C, DIG 3480, and DIG 4324C) and legal studies (PLA 3014). Check out the tutoring schedule for these courses here.
- Free virtual academic coaching is available for all downtown campus students by the Student Academic Resource Center (SARC)
- Academic coaches meet one-on-one with students via Zoom
- Academic coaches guide students in learning effective study strategies and implementing them into their academics
- Frequently covered topics include:
- Time management & organizational skills
- Study skills & test prep
- Textbook reading & note-taking
- Stress management & overall wellness
- Motivation & goal setting
- Campus resources & opportunities
Online Instructional Peer Coaching
- Free virtual peer coaching is available for all downtown campus students by the Student Academic Resource Center (SARC)
- Peer coaches meet one-on-one with students via Zoom
- Peer coaches help students navigate online courses
- Frequently covered topics include:
- How to navigate Webcourses
- Understanding different course modalities (mixed-mode, online, video-enhanced, etc.)
- Using the syllabus to plan for the semester in an online course
- Identify barriers that prevent from succeeding in an online course
- Setting goals to succeed in an online course
About the Learning Support Center
The Learning Support Center (LSC) at the Downtown campus offers free tutoring for a variety of courses, as well as free equipment rentals.
Free Services We Offer
- PLEASE NOTE: During the fall 2020 semester, live online tutoring will be offered in place of tutoring within the LSC (with the exception of select upper division courses). Please see the top of this page for more information.
- Free walk-in tutoring is available in the LSC for a variety of courses/subjects. Frequently
supported courses include:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Developmental Math
- College Mathematics
- Math for Liberal Arts
- And many more!
- Check to see when a tutor is available for your course: Fall 2020 Distance Tutoring Schedule
- Sometimes life happens and a tutor may not be able to make it in. If that's the case,
you can find updates here:
- None at this time
- Scheduled Closures for Fall 2020:
- Monday, September 7th: Labor Day
- Wednesday, November 25th, through Sunday, November 29th: Thanksgiving Break
- Sometimes life happens and a tutor may not be able to make it in. If that's the case, you can find updates here:
- LSC Tutors help students utilize effective study strategies to learn and understand the material for their courses. The tutors will work with students to break down difficult concepts using various interactive approaches to learning.
- Who are the LSC Tutors?
- LSC Tutors are individuals who have demonstrated their content knowledge in the classes that they are tutoring. They have been trained in effective tutoring techniques so that in addition to course content, they are able to help students learn study strategies that will aid students in their success in future classes as well.
- Review sessions for PERT math and AAF:
- For more information, please visit the Testing Center website in the "Downtown Campus Retake Procedures" section at the bottom of the page.
Materials & Equipment Rentals
- PLEASE NOTE: During the fall 2020 semester, visit Tech Lending on the 2nd floor of DPAC (East wing) for all of your equipment rental needs.
- With a valid Valencia/UCF student ID, downtown campus students can check out the following items for 4 hours at a time:
- TI-84C Graphing Calculator
- Scientific Calculator
- Select Textbooks
- Note: Make sure to return the item on time to the same location it was checked out from in order to avoid incurring a $1.00/hour fine.
- Please come by the LSC to tell us how we're doing! This is also an opportunity for you to tell your success story or offer suggestions for growth and improvement. We are always striving to better our services to accommodate your needs as well as recognizing our tutors for the amazing support they provide.
- Was there a particular course or subject that you were looking for assistance with, but we currently do not offer? Please come by the LSC to complete the Interest Form and let us know!
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the LSC located?
Dr. Phillips Academic Commons (DPAC), Room 330 (in the middle of the bridge on the 3rd floor)
When does tutoring start for Fall 2020?
Monday, August 24th
Have questions? Contact Ning Christopher, Learning Support Services Manager for the Downtown Campus, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call (407) 582-1120.