Welcome! We look forward to seeing you in the Downtown LSC!
About the Learning Support Center (LSC)
The Learning Support Center (LSC) at the Downtown campus offers free tutoring for a variety of courses, as well as free equipment loans.
Free Services We Offer
- Free drop-in tutoring is available in the LSC for a variety of courses/subjects. Frequently
supported courses include:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Developmental Math
- College Mathematics
- Math for Liberal Arts
- Trigonometry & Pre-Calculus
- And many more!
- The LSC also houses several biology, chemistry, and anatomy & physiology models that align with the ones students see in their classes to enhance student learning.
Check to see when a tutor is available for your course:
- Sometimes life happens and a tutor may not be able to make it in. If that's the case,
you can find schedule updates here:
- Wednesday, 11/15: Matthew out. Amanda & Matheus covering all math tutoring.
- NEW Science Tutor! We have a chemistry and biology tutor. Check out the schedule!
- Due to unforeseen circumstances, we currently do not have an anatomy & physiology tutor. Please feel free to still visit the LSC for hands-on practice with the anatomy models. If you need tutoring, please utilize Distance Tutoring (see section near bottom of this page).
- Sometimes life happens and a tutor may not be able to make it in. If that's the case, you can find schedule updates here:
- Scheduled Closures for Fall 2023:
- Closed for Staff Training: Friday, August 25th
- Labor Day: Monday, September 4th
- Veteran's Day Observed: Friday, November 10th
- Thanksgiving Break: Wednesday, November 22nd - Sunday, November 26th
- Last day of LSC Tutoring: Tuesday, December 5th
- Last day LSC Open for Fall: Thursday, December 7th
- Scheduled Closures for Fall 2023:
- Who are the LSC Tutors?
- LSC Tutors are individuals who have demonstrated their content knowledge in the classes that they are tutoring. They have been trained in effective tutoring techniques so that in addition to course content, they are able to help students learn study strategies that will aid students in their success in future classes as well.
- LSC Tutors will work with students to break down difficult concepts using various interactive approaches to learning.
- LSC Tutors will help students utilize effective study strategies to learn and understand the material for their courses.
- Review sessions for PERT math and AAF:
- If you are retaking the PERT math or AAF, you may want to go over the review packets
prior to the test. If you need a refresher on some of the topics, feel free to visit
the LSC and a tutor will be more than happy to assist you.
- Please keep in mind that you will be asked to identify a few specific problems from the sample tests and/or review materials that you would like to work on with the LSC Tutor. The tutor will not be available to go over the entire sample test or review packet with each student.
- For more information about each placement test and to view sample tests and review materials, please visit the Testing Center website and go to the Placement Testing section near the bottom of the page.
- If you are retaking the PERT math or AAF, you may want to go over the review packets prior to the test. If you need a refresher on some of the topics, feel free to visit the LSC and a tutor will be more than happy to assist you.
Materials & Technology Rentals
- With a valid Valencia College/UCF student ID, downtown campus students can check out the following items for 4 hours at a time:
- Logitech webcam
- iPad and Apple Pencil
- Wacom (writing) tablet
- TI-84C Graphing Calculator
- Scientific Calculator
- Presentation Clickers & Pointers
- Various Adapters & Cables
- Select Textbooks
- Upon checkout, you are permitted to leave the LSC to utilize items at your leisure for all of the items listed above EXCEPT for the iPads, Apple Pencils, and textbooks. iPads, Apple Pencils, and textbooks will not be permitted to leave the LSC space.
- Note: Make sure to return the item on time to the same location it was checked out from in order to avoid incurring a $1.00/hour fine.
Meet the Downtown Learning Support Services (LSS) Team
Get to know each of our Downtown campus Learning Support Center (LSC) team members by visiting our Meet the LSS Team page.
- Please tell us how we're doing! This is also an opportunity for you to tell your success story or offer suggestions for growth and improvement. We are always striving to better our services to accommodate your needs as well as recognizing our tutors for the amazing support they provide. Share your feedback via the Downtown Campus Learning Support Services (LSS) Experience Feedback Form.
- Was there a particular course or subject that you were looking for assistance with, but we currently do not offer? Please complete the Downtown Campus LSC Tutoring: Course Interest Form and let us know!
Partnership with UCF Student Academic Resource Center (SARC)
Tutoring for Select Upper Division Courses in the LSC
There is limited in-person tutoring provided by UCF's Student Academic Resource Center (SARC) for select upper division courses. These tutoring sessions are on a drop-in basis for select Digital Media, Communications, and Legal Studies courses. Check out this semester's tutoring schedule: COMING SOON: UCF SARC Downtown Tutoring Schedule
- Free virtual academic coaching is available for all downtown campus students by the Student Academic Resource Center (SARC)
- Academic coaches meet one-on-one with students via Zoom
- Academic coaches guide students in learning effective study strategies and implementing them into their academics
- Students choose the session topic, but topics commonly discussed include:
- Time management & organizational skills
- Study skills & test prep
- Textbook reading & note-taking
- Succeeding in online courses
- How to navigate Webcourses
- Understanding different course modalities (mixed-mode, online, video-enhanced, etc.)
- Using the syllabus to plan for the semester in an online course
- Motivation & goal setting
- Stress management & overall wellness
- Campus resources & opportunities
Distance Tutoring, which is live online tutoring provided by Valencia College Tutors, is available to all Downtown campus students (inclusive of UCF Downtown students in co-listed courses).
You can easily access Valencia College’s FREE Distance Tutoring & Tech Support from a computer, laptop or mobile device.
Distance Tutoring services are provided fully online via Zoom. Through this service, you will receive real-time assistance via a Valencia College Tutor. Online tutoring is offered in: mathematics, sciences, accounting & economics, computer programming, EAP and foreign languages, and writing.
Online Learning Technology Support services are also available. You can receive assistance with navigating: Canvas, OneDrive, Zoom, YouTube, and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint). Support is also provided for video editing (via iMovie and MovieMaker) and converting documents from a Mac to a PC. Tech support is available live (on-demand) via Zoom, by appointment, or via email. You are encouraged to use the 24/7 Canvas Help located inside Canvas by clicking on the “Help” icon.
To get started using the Distance Tutoring & Tech Support services, please visit qrco.de/valenciadt. Through this site, you can view the schedule of tutors/tech support assistants, find available times, learn more about the services, and access a collection of supplemental resources that are available 24/7.
Distance Tutoring Hours of Operation*:
Monday-Friday: 10 am – 9 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 11 am – 7 pm
* Available times and tutors vary by course, so please be sure to check the most up-to-date on the webpage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the LSC located?
Dr. Phillips Academic Commons (DPAC), Room 330 (in the middle of the bridge on the 3rd floor)
When does tutoring start for Fall 2023?
Face-to-Face tutoring in the LSC begins the second week of fall classes on Monday, August 28th.
Distance Tutoring begins the first day of classes on Monday, August 21st.
When does tutoring end for Fall 2023?
Face-to-Face tutoring in the LSC ends on Tuesday, December 5th. The Downtown LSC will remain open for equipment checkouts and open study space through Thursday, December 7th.
Distance Tutoring ends on Saturday, December 9th.
Swing by the Learning Support Center (LSC) in DPAC 330 or call (407) 235-3725.
Looking for Free Writing Assistance?
Click here to learn about the Writing Center (WC).
Location & Hours
- DPAC, Room 330
- Monday to Thursday: 9am to 9pm
Friday: 10am to 2pm
Saturday to Sunday: Closed
Learning Support Events