Mission and Goals
The Valencia College Office of Policy and General Counsel is committed to act with integrity, knowledge of the law, and reason, in support of the dynamic educational environment of the College by providing timely, updated and accurate legal advice to the College administrators, faculty and staff, in their roles on behalf of the College. The Office provides, manages, and coordinates all legal services for the College, whether through the Office or outside law firms, to ensure efficiency, containment of costs, and reliability of service.
State Legislative Information
2020 Legislative Session
The 2020 Session of the Florida Legislature starts on January 14th and is scheduled to end on March 13th. During this time, hundreds (of the thousands) of filed bills will be considered for passage by the House and the Senate. Valencia tracks the progress of bills that may have an impact on Valencia students, faculty and staff. This bill tracking report summarizes the content and progress of proposed legislation that the College and the Florida College System are currently monitoring. It will be updated regularly during the Session. Keep in mind that many of the bills listed on the spreadsheet likely will die in the process and will not become law.
For more information on the content and progress of a particular bill, the simplest way to access current bill information is to go to www.flsenate.gov and enter the bill number in the space provided on the top of the homepage, or go to www.myfloridahouse.gov and click on the top tab “Bills.” Senate bills are always even numbers (SB 22) and House bills are always odd numbers (HB 11). On the House site, note that you may choose either chamber or choose “both.” When you enter the bill number, the history of the bill will appear, along with bill text, amendments, analyses, and more. Please note, at the end of the Legislative Session, we will distribute a Session Report which will provide you with accurate information on what passed, what didn't, and how Valencia College may be affected.
For more information regarding legislative matters please contact Courtney James (firstname.lastname@example.org); Jay Galbraith (email@example.com); or Bill Mullowney (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Valencia Session Reports
Past Issues of the Valencia Session Report may be found under Session Report Archives.
The Session Report provides brief summaries of budget matters and substantive legislation affecting Florida Colleges. Please note that at present, all appropriations and many bills are subject to the Governor's veto. All bill numbers are hyperlinked to their respective bill pages on the state's Online Sunshine site. There, you can find more information including all versions of bill text, histories, and staff analyses.
At the end of the Report, you will find information about the members of Valencia's state legislative delegation - that is, those legislators who represent Florida House or Senate districts located within Orange or Osceola counties. Here you will find their names, pictures (pictures are hyperlinked to their Online Sunshine Member pages), committee assignments and contact information.
Finally, interspersed throughout the report are images of paintings depicting Florida's history and heritage, the originals of which are displayed in the House Chamber. Click on them and discover the stories behind the paintings!
We hope you find the Valencia College Session Report to be informative and helpful.
Policies & Procedures
2021 Notices of Rule Development
- 6Hx28: 3E-09 Employee Dispute Resolution (published 01/08/2021)
- 6Hx28: 3D-10 Military Leave (published 01/08/2021)
2021 Notices of Rule Adoption
2021 Notices of Rule Repeal
2021 Adopted Policies
2020 Notices of Rule Development
- 6Hx28: 2-08 Accommodations of Religious Observances by Students (published 07/29/2020)
- 6Hx28: 3D-06.2 Fitness for Duty (published 07/29/2020)
- 6Hx28: 3E-05.2 Ethical Conduct and Performance (published 07/29/2020)
- 6Hx28: 6-10 Scholarships (published 1/28/2020)
2020 Notices of Rule Adoption
2020 Notices of Rule Repeal
2020 Adopted Policies
- 6Hx28: 1-01 Organization, Authority and Location (06/24/2020 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 1-02 General (06/24/2020 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 1-03 Meetings of the District Board of Trustees (12/16/2020 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 1-04 Rules of Procedures for Meetings of the District Board of Trustees (06/24/2020 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 1-05 Officers and Their Duties (06/24/2020 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 1-06 Powers and Duties of the President of the College (06/24/2020 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 1-07 Valencia College-Wide Faculty Association (06/24/2020 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 1-08 College Accountability Process (06/24/2020 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 1-09 Policy Development and Review (09/23/2020 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 1-10 Policy Against Improper Activities; Whistleblower Protection (06/24/2020 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 1-11 Indemnification (06/24/2020 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 1-13 Review and Amendment of Governance Policies (06/24/2020 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 2-03 Animals on Campus (2/26/2020 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 4-07 Academic Progress, Course Attendance and Grades, and Withdrawals (2/26/2020 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 4-15 Offering Continuing Professional Education (Noncredit) Courses on a One-Time Basis (2/26/2020 Board meeting)
2019 Notices of Rule Development
- 6Hx28: 1-09 Policy Development and Review (published 12/17/2019)
- 6Hx28: 5-05 Vehicle Use for College Business (published 3/26/2019)
- 6Hx28: 8-02 Admissions (published 10/23/2019)
2019 Notices of Rule Adoption
2019 Notices of Rule Repeal
2019 Adopted Policies
- 6Hx28: 2-02 Workplace Accommodations for Applicants and Employees (12/11/2019 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 3C-01.5 Emergency Management: Emergency or Disaster Work Assignments and Compensation (6/26/2019 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 3D-06.1.1 Parenting Leave (4/24/2019 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 3D-06.3 Workers' Compensation and Illness or Injury in Line of Duty Leave (12/11/2019 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 3D-09 Court Related Leave (6/26/2019 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 3E-04 Acceptance by All Employees of the College (6/26/2019 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 3F-05.2 Abandonment of Position (6/26/2019 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 5-10 Procurement Requirements for Commodities and Services (2/27/2019 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 5-11 College Property Control (6/26/2019 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 8-12 Hazing (10/16/2019 Board meeting)
- 6Hx28: 10-01 Reporting Incidents, Accidents, and Injuries (12/11/2019 Board meeting)
- 6hx28: 3C-12 Retirement Incentive Programs (7/1/2019 automatic repeal)
- 6Hx28: 6-01.3 Expenditures (2/27/2019 Board meeting)
To search for multiple terms, please separate words with a comma (example: college, studies)