Mission and Goals
The Valencia College Office of Policy and General Counsel is committed to act with integrity, knowledge of the law, and reason, in support of the dynamic educational environment of the College by providing timely, updated and accurate legal advice to the College administrators, faculty and staff, in their roles on behalf of the College. The Office provides, manages, and coordinates all legal services for the College, whether through the Office or outside law firms, to ensure efficiency, containment of costs, and reliability of service.
Title VII: AG Sessions MEMO Re: Revised Transgender Employment Discrimination (October 4, 2017)
Attorney General Jeff Sessions, sent a memorandum to all US Attorneys reversing AG Holder's December 15, 2014 memo prohibiting employers from discriminating against transgender individuals under Title VII.
Title IX: ACE-Brief-Title IX-Q&A (September 27, 2017)
The American Council on Education (ACE) has issued a brief summarizing the Department of Education's interim guidance on Title IX campus sexual assault, and it's preparation to launch a formal rulemaking process to develop a new policy.
Title IX: OCR Dear Colleague Letter (September 22, 2017)
The U.S. Department of Education, the Office for Civil Rights division, has announced that it is withdrawing the existing 2011 Dear Colleague Letter and the 2014 guidance on sexual misconduct on campus.
Immigration: ACE-Letter to Congress on DACA (September 12, 2017)
The American Council on Education (ACE) and 77 other associations sent this letter urging Congress to pass legislation as soon as possible to permanently protect the nearly 800,000 individuals currently protected under DACA.
Immigration: ACE- Issue Brief regarding Trump's DACA Decision (September 5, 2017)
In the wake of the Trump administration’s rollback of Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals (DACA), ACE has prepared this issue brief detailing the key elements of the administration’s “DACA Rescission Memorandum” and how it will impact students and campuses.
Immigration: ACE - Letter to President Donald Trump in Support of DACA (August 29, 2017)
The American Council on Education (ACE) along with 36 other educational associations sent a letter to President Trump urging the administration to keep Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) intact until a permanent solution can be reached.
Immigration: ACE-Letter in Support of Dream Act of 2017 (August 1, 2017)
The American Council on Education (ACE) released a letter addressed to Senators Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and Charles Schumer (D-NY) from 32 higher education associations supporting the bipartisan Dream Act of 2017. The Dream Act would allow some undocumented young people, who have already invested in our country and in whom the country has already invested, to earn lawful permanent residence in the United States.
Immigration: ACE- Issue Brief: Revised Travel Ban (March 7, 2017)
The American Council on Education (ACE) has released an issue brief giving an overview of President Trump's revised temporary travel ban, which will take effect on March 16, 2017. The brief also addresses concerns regarding how this will affect international students from the six countries in the revised Immigration Executive Order.
Title IX: OCR Dear Colleague Letter (February 22, 2017)
The U.S. Department of Justice and Department of Education, Civil Rights Division, has released a Dear Colleague Letter withdrawing the statements of policy and guidance reflected during the Obama Administration as it relates to transgender individuals using bathrooms consistent with their gender identity.
Faculty and Staff: Letter from Coalition to Preserve Employer Provided Education Assistance (February 7, 2017)
A coalition made up of higher education, businesses and labor organizations wrote Senators Orrin Hatch (R-UT) and (D-OR) in support of maintaining and strengthening Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 127, which allows employers to provide education assistance to their employees. Currently, the Code allows an employee to exclude up to $5,250 per year from their income to assist with educational courses at the undergraduate and graduate level.
Immigration: ACE- Letter- DHS- John Kelly (January 31, 2017)
The American Council on Education (ACE) sent a letter to newly appointed Secretary of Homeland Security, John Kelly, expressing their concern regarding President Trump's executive order, "Protecting the Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States". The letter also reminds Secretary Kelly of the importance of International students, and the need for the United States to remain the destination of choice for the world's best and brightest students, faculty and scholars.
Title IX & Title VII: NACUA- The Pregnant and Parenting Student (January 30, 2017)
The National Assocation of College and University Attorneys (NACUA) released a note regarding pregnant and parenting students. This note seeks to provide guidance to universities and colleges on how to comply with federal laws and regulations, and afford equitable treatment and accomodations for these students.
Immigration: ACE- Letter- BRIDGE ACT (January 12, 2017)
Letter from The American Council on Education (ACE) to Sentaors Lindsey Grahram (R-SC) and Richard Durbin (D-IL) in support of the Bar Removal of Individuals Who Dream and Grow Our Economy (BRIDGE) Act. This bill will assist recipients or eligible individuals of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program by providing them temporary relief from deportation and employment authorization for three years.
Immigration: ACE-Issue-Brief-Immigration-DACA-Sanctuary-Campus (December 2, 2016)
The American Council on Education (ACE) has released an Issue Brief relating to undocumented community members following this year’s presidential election. This brief addresses concerns regarding the new administration’s stance on immigration, and its potential effects on college students who were approved for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program – an executive order created under the Obama administration.
State Legislative Information
2019 Legislative Session
Past Valencia Session Reports
Past Issues of the Valencia Session Report may be found under Session Report Archives.
The Session Report provides brief summaries of budget matters and substantive legislation affecting Florida Colleges. Please note that at present, all appropriations and many bills are subject to the Governor's veto. All bill numbers are hyperlinked to their respective bill pages on the state's Online Sunshine site. There, you can find more information including all versions of bill text, histories, and staff analyses.
At the end of the Report, you will find information about the members of Valencia's state legislative delegation - that is, those legislators who represent Florida House or Senate districts located within Orange or Osceola counties. Here you will find their names, pictures (pictures are hyperlinked to their Online Sunsine Member pages), committee assignments and contact information.
Finally, interspersed throughout the report are images of paintings depicting Florida's history and heritage, the originals of which are displayed in the House Chamber. Click on them and discover the stories behind the paintings!
We hope you find the Valencia College Session Report to be informative and helpful.
Policies & Procedures
2019 Notices of Rule Development
- Policy 6Hx28: 2-02 Workplace Accommodations for Applicants and Employees
- Policy 6Hx28: 3D-06.3 Workers' Compensation and in Line of Duty Leave
- Policy 6Hx28: 5-05 Vehicle Use for College Business
- Policy 6Hx28: 8-02 Admissions
- Policy 6Hx28: 10-01 Reporting Incidents, Accidents, and Injuries
2019 Notices of Rule Adoption
- Policy 6Hx28: 4-07 Academic Progress, Course Attendance and Grades, and Withdrawals
2019 Notices of Rule Repeal
2019 Adopted Policies
- Policy 6Hx28: 3C-01.5 Emergency Management: Emergency or Disaster Work Assignments and Compensation
- Policy 6Hx28: 3D-06.1.1 Parenting Leave
- Policy 6Hx28: 3D-09 Court Related Leave
- Policy 6Hx28: 3E-04 Acceptance by All Employees of the College
- Policy 6Hx28: 3F-05.2 Abandonment of Position
- Policy 6Hx28: 5-10 Procurement Requirements for Commodities and Services
- Policy 6Hx28: 5-11 College Property Control
- Policy 6Hx28: 8-12 Hazing
- Policy 6hx28: 3C-12 Retirement Incentive Programs
- Policy 6Hx28: 6-01.3 Expenditures
2018 Notices of Rule Development
- Policy 6Hx28: 3D-06.1.1 Parenting Leave
- Policy 6Hx28: 3D-06.2 Fitness for Duty
- Policy 6Hx28: 4-07 Academic Progress Course Attendance and Grades and Withdrawals
- Policy 6Hx28: 5-10 Bidding Requirements
- Policy 6Hx28: 5-13 Signatures
- Policy 6Hx28: 8-07 Student Club and Organizations
- Policy 6Hx28: 9-06 Grant Funding
- Policy 6Hx28: 10-03 Fire or Other Emergency
- Policy 6Hx28: 10-04 Firearms on Campus
- Policy 6Hx28: 10-05 Smoking Regulations
- Policy 6Hx28: 10-07 Parking and Vehicle Traffic
- Policy 6Hx28: 10-09 Child Abuse Reporting
- Policy 6Hx28: 11-02 Animals and Pets
- Policy 6Hx28: 11-07 Changes in Construction After Award of Contract
2018 Adopted Policies
- 6Hx28: 1-12 Educational Affordability
- 6Hx28: 3B-02 Pre-Employment Screening & In-processing of New Employees
- 6Hx28: 3C-07 Employee, Dependent, and Program Development Funds
- 6Hx28: 3D-02 Leaves of Absence
- 6Hx28: 3D-03 Total Rewards: Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave for Full Time Employees
- 6Hx28: 3D-11 Education & Professional Development for Staff & Administrators
- 6Hx28: 3D-12 Sabbatical Leave for Tenured Faculty
- 6Hx28: 3D-13 Domestic Violence Leave
- 6Hx28: 3E-05.2 Ethical Conduct & Performance
- 6Hx28: 3E-09 Employee Dispute Resolution
- 6Hx28: 3F-02 Terminal Pay for Full Time Employees
- 6Hx28: 5-02 Speech, Expression, and Commercial Activity on College Property
- 6Hx28: 10-2 Trespass Warning/Arrest
- Policy 6Hx28: 3C-1.5 Absence of a Professor from Class
- Policy 6Hx28; 3C-09 Waiver of Matriculation or Tuition Fees for Spouses and Dependents of Faculty and Staff
- Policy 6Hx28: 3D-04 Sick Leave
- Policy 6Hx28: 3D-07.1 Leave for Personal Reasons
- Policy 6Hx28: 3D-07.2 Personal Leave Without Pay
- Policy 6Hx28: 7B-05 Human Resources Record Information
- Policy 6Hx28: 10-03 Fire of Other Emergency
To search for multiple terms, please separate words with a comma (example: college, studies)