Transfer Guarantees

Community College Associate in Arts Transfer Guarantees

Community College Associate in Arts graduates are guaranteed certain rights under the statewide Articulation Agreement 6A-10.024. This Articulation Agreement governs the transfer of students from Florida public community colleges to the state university system. The agreement addresses General Admission to a state university and Program Admission.

General Admission to Florida State Universities


The Florida Articulation Agreement designates the Associate in Arts degree as the transfer degree to Florida state universities. In doing so, the Agreement guarantees that:

  1. Community college A.A. Degree holders will be granted admission to one of eleven (11) universities but not necessarily to limited access programs.
  2. Upon transferring to a state university, A.A. Degree graduates will be awarded at least 60 credit hours towards the baccalaureate degree.
  3. The university catalog in effect the year the A.A. Degree student first enrolled at the community college will remain in effect for the student's program, provided the student maintains continuous enrollment as defined in that catalog.
  4. Once a student has completed the General Education Core and this is so noted on the transcript, regardless of whether or not an A.A. Degree is awarded, no other state university or community college to which the student may transfer can require additional courses to the General Education Core.
  5. When transferring among institutions participating in the statewide course numbering system, a receiving institution must accept all courses taken at the transfer institution, if the same course with the same course number is offered at the receiving institution.
  6. Credits earned through acceleration mechanisms (CLEP, AP, PEP, early enrollment, International Baccalaureate, and dual enrollment courses) within the A.A. Degree at the community college will be transferable to the state university.

Students without an A.A. Degree who are seeking admission to a state university do not have all the guarantees provided by the Articulation Agreement and may be denied admission or lose credit when transferring. In most cases students without an A.A. Degree will have to meet freshman admissions standards.

Admission to Specific Programs at Florida State Universities

The universities determine the courses and prerequisites that must be taken in order to receive a baccalaureate degree for a chosen program. Although all credit earned towards an A.A. Degree will transfer to a university, not all credit may satisfy the program prerequisites or the course requirements for a baccalaureate degree. Therefore, it is important to know the program requirements and to take as many courses as possible at Valencia while completing the A.A. Degree.

Limited Access

Due to limited resources, some programs have limited enrollments; in order to select students these programs may have additional admission requirements which are more restrictive than the university's general admission requirements. These requirements include one or more of the following: completion of specific courses, grade point average, an interview, test scores, auditions, and submission of a portfolio and deadlines.


A.A. graduates are not guaranteed admission into limited access programs but are guaranteed that:

  1. The community college student will have the same opportunity to enroll in a university limited access program as the native university student.
  2. Selection and enrollment criteria for a university limited access program will be established and published in catalogs and appropriate publications. Notification of any changes in a program will include sufficient time for prospective students to adjust to meet program criteria.

Resources are available for planning your transfer to a bachelor's degree program. Counselors and advisors are available through the Advising Centers on each campus at Valencia to help you plan your individual transfer program.


Should any of these guarantees be denied, the student has the right to file an appeal. Each state university has established appeal procedures. Students may contact the state university articulation officer for information about these procedures.