Chapter 35, Title 38 U.S.C.

Dependents Educational Assistance


Who is Eligible?

Dependents (spouse or child) of a veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability; or who is listed as a Prisoner of War or Missing in Action, may be eligible for these benefits. For further information, visit the website.


The program offers up to 45 months of educational benefits.

No extensions except for children in special restorative training.

Period of Eligibility

Eligibility rules are complex. Claimant should carefully read eligibility letter.


  • 10 years, if veteran rated permanently and totally disabled.
  • 20 years, if veteran rated permanently and totally disabled within 3 years of discharge or if death of veteran resulted while on active duty.


  • 8 years, if veteran rated permanently and totally disabled.
  • Child must be between the ages of 18 and 26.
    In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and can also continue after age 26.

Payment Rates

VA students who are eligible to receive a monthly housing allowance (MHA) or Subsistence Allowance rates, please refer to the GI Bill comparison tool at or call the General Education Hotline 1-888-442-4551.

Scholarships for Chapter 35 Dependants and Spouses
  1. Folds of Honor
    • For children and spouses of disabled veterans with a service connected disability of AT LEAST 10%
    • Applications accepted Jan 15 2015 – Mar 15 2015
  2.  Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased or Disabled Veterans
    • Scholarship for spouses and children whose vet has retired in the state of Florida with a 100% service disconnect, or deceased due to service disconnect.
  3. Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship
    • For children of service members who died in active duty on or after September 11th, 2011.

Required Documents
Student Category Submit To Valencia Completed During Initial Certification Appointment
First Time Using Benefits
  • Initial Certification Request
  • Statement of Understanding
Transfer Students
  • Initial Certification Request
  • Statement of Understanding
Transient Students
  • Transient Form
  • Initial Certification Request
  • Statement of Understanding

Document Details

C.O.E - (Certificate of Eligibility)

      • Apply at or call the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.
      • **If the student changes the institution or has had a program change, the student will need to reapply for the Certificate of Eligibility.

Certification - Valencia College Veteran Affairs Certification of Enrollment Request

      • The Certification needs to be submitted every semester and can be obtained at your local Valencia Veterans Services Campus or Online.

Transient Form - Authorization to take course(s) at a secondary institution