Become a Mentor
The Horizon Scholars - Take Stock in Children Program would not be complete without the dedicated and caring members of the community who volunteer their time to mentor our students and help advocate for their success.
High school is a pivotal time for young adults as they begin to make significant life decisions such as post-secondary education, career paths, and personal development. A mentor can help guide them through this process, assist with their decision-making, and provide much-needed support. This guidance can be invaluable in helping the student lead their life in a positive direction.
Horizon Scholars - Take Stock in Children Mentors
Horizon Scholars - Take Stock in Children mentors are paired with a 9th-12th grade student from an Orange County Public School to work with one-on-one, providing advice on personal, professional, and academic growth.
Mentor Time Commitment:
- Mentors are asked to commit to just one (1) academic school year at a time (August - May) with the option to continue with your same mentee the next school year.
- Mentors meet with their student a minimum of twice per month.
- Each mentor session will be approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Mentors may opt to meet with their mentee in-person at the student’s high school typically during the student’s lunch break or elective period.
- Mentors may also enjoy the flexibility of virtual mentoring which is available on approved platforms for afterschool or weekend sessions.
- Mentors work with their mentee to set a schedule convenient for both parties with the expectation that mentors and students meet a minimum of 15 times each academic year (August - May).
Mentors are Provided with:
- Personalized matching with a student based on location preferences, personalities, and/or interests/hobbies.
- Training and resources needed to develop meaningful relationships with their student.
- Access to a variety of mentor networking events and professional development opportunities.
- A designated liaison from our staff who will provide support and supply continuous resources throughout the year to both the mentor and student.
Becoming a Horizon Scholars - Take Stock in Children mentor is a fantastic way to significantly and positively impact someone's life, gain personal growth, and give back to the community.
Furthermore, the mentorship bond can provide a safe space for the student to discuss any ideas, challenges, and aspirations they may have. Mentors provide a listening ear, offer advice or resources, or simply provide encouragement as needed.
Mentoring with Valencia Horizon Scholars - Take Stock in Children is a low-commitment, high-impact way to help shape our community's next generation of leaders!
Ready to be the difference for a student in Orange County?
We invite you to submit your Mentor Application today to get started with this amazing opportunity!