Become a Horizon Scholar - Take Stock Student
The Valencia Horizon Scholars – Take Stock in Children Program is a scholarship, mentorship, and college readiness program designed to help Orange County students in grades 9-12 achieve their dreams and impact their community in their own positive way.
By participating in the Horizon Scholars - Take Stock in Children Program, students engage in comprehensive multi-year programming, including hands-on learning opportunities to help lay the foundation for their future, making higher education possible.
9th Grade Application Deadline is February 1, 2024 & 8th Grade Application Deadline is April 1, 2024!
Horizon Scholars - Take Stock in Children
For more information about becoming a Horizon Scholar - Take Stock Student, please contact us at 407-582-3008, or email us at email@example.com.
- A two-year Florida Prepaid Scholarship to use at any public institution in the state of Florida. *Awarded upon successful program completion and graduation from a public high school in the state of Florida.
- A volunteer mentor from the community who they will meet with a minimum of 15 times per year.
- College and life-skills readiness workshops to support personal and professional growth.
- Support with community service hour completion.
- A College Success Coordinator from our team who meets with students a minimum of once per quarter.
- Academic support to maintain the required 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- Accountability support to help ensure they maintain an academic record that does not include excessive absences or behavioral issues.
Sign-up for an information session to learn more!
- Meet the income requirements as outlined below.
- Be an 8th or 9th grade student in Orange County Public Schools.
- Have at least a 2.3 overall GPA.
- Complete an application and if selected, participate in an interview (parent/guardian is expected to attend as well).
- Have a desire to attend college or a technical school after high school.
*Reminder: Total income before taxes, social security, health benefits, union dues, or other deductions must be reported.
family member add:
Apply Online: The Horizon Scholars - Take Stock in Children Application is available online for current eligible 8th & 9th grade students in Orange County, Florida.
Deadlines & Completing Your Application
Deadlines to Apply:
- 9th Grade: February 1, 2024
- 8th Grae: April 1, 2024
Applications should include the following:
- Student statement
- Parent statement
- Completed Supplemental Application
- Attachment of family tax information with student listed
- Once you have submitted a complete application you should receive an email with a pdf version of your application for you to download for your records. If you do not receive this, something is missing from your application and you should contact HorizonScholars@valenciacollege.edu for assistance.
*Please do NOT use an OCPS email address on your application. This will prevent you from receiving important interview updates and selection information.
What to Expect After You Apply:
- Application will be reviewed and students will be invited to interview. *Please contact HorizonScholars@valenciacollege.edu if you have not heard back two weeks after your grade's application deadline to apply to confirm we received your application.
- Students will be informed of the program decision shortly after their interview.
- Selected students will participate in an induction ceremony or contract signing to officially join the Horizon Scholars - Take Stock in Children Program.