Submit LDA to Banner
Submitting a Student’s Last Day of Attendance (LDA)
The Department of Education has established rules to preserve the integrity of federal financial aid programs. In order to remain in compliance, a school must demonstrate that an online student participated in class or was otherwise engaged in an academically related activity, such as by contributing to an online discussion or initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a course-related question.
As the faculty member, you will need to identify a student's last demonstration of academic attendance, and sync this final grade in the Canvas Gradebook with Banner. Acceptable evidence of an academically-related activity in an online course include:
- student submission of an academic assignment,
- student submission of an online assessment,
- documented student participation in an interactive tutorial or computer-assisted instruction,
- a posting by the student showing the student’s participation in an online study group that is assigned by the institution,
- a posting by the student in a discussion forum showing the student’s participation in an online discussion about academic matters, and
- an e-mail from the student or other documentation showing that the student-initiated contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course.
Please see Why document Last Date of Attendance (LDA) for more information
Submit LDA: Step by Step directions
Before you can use the “Sync Grades” button, you must retrieve the student’s last graded assignment from the Gradebook. A withdrawn student will be marked as “Inactive”, and hidden in the gradebook.
- Open the Gradebook. Click on the gear icon.
- From the drop-down menu, select Show Inactive Enrollments.
- Using the example above, locate the latest demonstration of academic attedance. Hover over the grade cell and click the Comments icon.
- Make note of the “Submitted” date, for the assignment. This is the official LDA. Close the window. If Multiple Submissions were allowed, choose the most recent date.
- Click on the Sync Grades button, and select Export Final Grades to Banner, to record the official LDA.
- Locate the Inactive Student’s name, and click on the Checkbox.
- Select W from the Grade drop-down menu. Banner will auto-populate the grade as W, if the student was removed by Banner. Both Withdrawn and Incomplete statuses will reflect a W grade.
- Under Last Day of Attendance, enter the date retrieved in step 4.
- Review the check mark, grade, and date. Scroll down, and click on Submit Grades to Banner.