Professional Development Plan
For the purpose of this compensation enhancement, professional development shall be defined as additional work to improve faculty knowledge, skills, and abilities that should lead to an increase in student learning or academic success. The purpose of the Professional Development Plan is to recognize and reward faculty for their ongoing commitment to their professional development, which is one component of practicing the art of lifelong learning.
YEAR ONE - PLANNING FOR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
In the first year, faculty members will submit a plan for development that includes: activity type, title, description, estimated date of completion, and alignment to one of four categories. These categories are Discipline Enrichment, Pedagogy, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, and Other Professional Development Activities. The compensation level selection and PD Plan must be uploaded by November 15, 2020 (extended from June 1) and approved by the Dean/Director no later than December 15, 2020 (extended from June 30). A conversation about the plan and progress should occur with annual evaluations.
LEVEL ONE COMPENSATION ($750)
- At least 3 different activities
- A minimum of 5 hours in Pedagogy
- A maximum of 5 hours in Other Professional Development.
- A minimum of 25 hours is required
LEVEL TWO COMPENSATION ($1500)
- At least 6 different activities
- A minimum of 10 hours in Pedagogy
- A maximum of 10 hours in Other Professional Development.
- A minimum of 50 hours is required
YEAR TWO - IMPLEMENTATION AND DOCUMENTATION
In the second year, faculty members will submit evidence of completion of each activity, which may include one of the four forms of documentation below. The completed PD Plan with all supporting documentation must be uploaded by June 1, 2021 and approved by the Dean/Director no later than June 30, 2021. A conversation about the plan and progress should occur with annual evaluations. Documentation of specific activities can be completed in any one of the forms:
- Transcript of successful completion (from Atlas for college-sponsored activities; university; licensure board; conference attendance evidence).
- Action Research project (online template is currently available).
- Statement of application to practice (brief reflective statement or self-assessment of activity).
- Examples of application to practice (innovation; lesson plan; student work, etc.)