Fire Science Academy Track
The Fire Science Academy is a degree-granting program that provides students with the skills, abilities and education for a successful fire service career. It provides a strong educational foundation in fire science coupled with training and education in emergency medical services and firefighting. Students will complete the two-year academy as a cohort, learning to function as team members through instructional and team-building exercises.
One Program, Three Areas of Education
The Fire Science Academy is a fast-paced, intensive program. Participants will complete three components of career development in just two years.
Upon completion, students will receive:
- A.S. degree in Fire Science Technology (60 college credits)
- EMT (Emergency Medical Technology) Technical Certificate (must pass a state exam)
- Minimum Standards Training – Firefighter I and II (must pass a state exam)
The Fire Science Academy is a limited-access program and admission is competitive. The top candidates will be selected based on their application information. Before being considered, all candidates must attend a mandatory information session.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Have no felony convictions or significant misdemeanors
- Be of good moral character
- Be in good physical condition
|FFP 1000||Fire Science Fundamentals||3|
|FFP 1505||Fire Prevention I||3|
|FFP 1612||Fire Behavior and Combustion||3|
|ENC 1101||English Composition I||3|
|MGF 1106||College Mathematics||3|
|FFP 1540||Private Fire Protection Systems I||3|
|FFP 2120||Building Construction for the Fire Service||3|
|SPC 1608||Fundamentals of Speech||3|
|FFP 2740||Fire Service Course Delivery||3|
|POS 2112||State and Local Government||3|
|FFP 1040||Minimum Standards Training Classes: Firefighter I, Firefighter II, Emergency Vehicle Operator||3|
|FFP 2810||Firefighting Tactics and Strategy I||3|
|FFP 2510||Fire Codes and Standards||3|
|FFP 2720||Company Officer||3|
|FFP 2521||Blueprint Reading and Plans Review||3|
|PHI 2600||Ethics and Critical Thinking||3|
|EMS 1119||Fundamentals of Emergency Medical Technology||8|
|EMS 1119L||Fundamentals of Emergency Medical Technology||2|
|EMS 1431L||Emergency Medical Technician Practicum||2|
REQUIREMENTS FOR STATE CERTIFICATION:
- After completing FFP 0020, students must pass the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards test (FL FF II) and complete the three EMS courses in the spring of the second year of the program to be certified as a Firefighter.
- After completing FFP 2810 Firefighting Tactics and Strategy I, students will earn FEMA ICS 300 certificate.