Career Resources for LGBTQ+
LGBTQ Career Tips
LGBTQ Career Tips Video
What can I look for to determine if a company is inclusive of the LGBTQ+ community?
- Review the Corporate Equality Index (CEI) on the Human Rights (HRC) website to see the company's workplace rating on LGBTQ+ equality.
Look at employer websites:
- Does the organization offer domestic partner benefits? (Some state that they offer such benefits, but will not pay the tax associated with the benefits of the domestic partner, leaving it to be deducted out of the employee's paycheck).
- Research whether the organization sponsors/participates in activities or events that support the LGBTQ+ community.
Try connecting with individuals at a networking function, community event, or social networking
Where can I find additional resources?
- Idealist - Thousands of job listings, most in the non-profit sector. This website allows you to search by interest and includes "LGBT" as an area of focus.
- Lambda Legal - National LGBT civil rights organization; website includes information about workplace discrimination cases.
- American Civil Liberties Union - This site includes updates of recent legal issues and provides resources and information on rights and job discrimination policies.
- Transgender at Work - Provides resources for innovative employers who want to set their company employment policies to help their transgender employees to be at their most productive. Includes links to resources for transgender workers.
- National Center for Transgender Equality - NCTE was founded in 2003 by transgender activists who recognized the urgent need for policy change to advance transgender equality.
- Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) - A good article on ERGs "Are Employee Resource Groups Good for Business?" by Shelton Goode, PH.D and Isaac Dixon, Ph.D SHRM-SCP in SHRM - Society for Human Resources Management, September 2016.
- LGBTQ+ Career Advice Books : Your Queer Career by Riley B Folds and Out & Equal at Work: From Closet to Corner Office by Selisse Berry. Check with your your Campus Career Center to review a copy.