Requirements for Enrollment in EPI
In order to be considered for enrollment in the Educator Preparation Institute (EPI) program, an applicant must possess a bachelor's degree with a minimum overall GPA of 2.5 from a regionally accredited institution and preferably have a passing score or master's degree exemption on the General Knowledge Test. An applicant must also possess a Statement of Status of Eligibility from the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) stating "You are Eligible for a Florida Educator's Certificate." The FL DOE application process takes approximately 60 days; please plan accordingly. An applicant cannot begin EPI coursework until a valid Statement of Eligibility has been submitted to our office. If the Statement of Eligibility expires while enrolled in the EPI program, the student will not be permitted to continue taking courses until it has been renewed and documentation provided to the EPI office.
- To obtain this statement, you must apply for FL DOE Certification at http://www.fldoe.org/teaching/certification/
- This process includes a $75 processing fee for each subject area in which you intend to be certified.
If an applicant is NOT eligible per the FL DOE, the statement will list any necessary requirements that must be fulfilled in order to be found eligible, and an applicant will not be admitted to the EPI program.
Steps to Enrollment
1. Complete a Valencia Admission Application ($35 fee payment required) online. Please choose the application for Credit Programs (we are a non-degree education program option).
2. Please send your official, sealed transcripts to:
Valencia College - EPI
Admissions and Records Office
PO Box 3028
Orlando, Florida 32802-3028
Official, electronic transcripts should be sent from the degree-awarding institution to Transcripts@valenciacollege.edu
3. After notification of college admission, set-up your student Atlas account portal and email, then supply proof of residency documents. An applicant does not need the application, residency information, and application fee when attending the Enrollment/Information session.
4. Attend a Mandatory Enrollment Session.
To register for a Zoom virtual group enrollment session visit the EPI main webpage or to request an individual enrollment session, contact Ellen Costello, 407-582-5473, or email email@example.com.
|MODE||DATE||START TIME||END TIME||TERM|
|Zoom||Wed., 9/14/22||5:30pm||7:00pm||Spring 2023|
|Zoom||Wed., 10/12/22||5:30pm||7:00pm||Spring 2023|
|Zoom||Wed., 11/16/22||5:30pm||7:00pm||Spring 2023|
|Zoom||Wed., 12/7/22||5:30pm||7:00pm||Spring 2023|
Note: Dates and times are subject to change, please check the main EPI webpage for updates.
Download a copy of the EPI handbook.
5. In your Atlas account, apply to the EPI program by selecting "Students" in the
left navigation column, then go to "Student Forms" and "Applications" and select "Educator
Preparation Institute Application for Admission”. Applicants will need the following
documents for upload when completing the EPI application:
- An official, valid, and current FL DOE Statement of Status of Eligibility
- An official, valid, and current FL DOE Temporary Teaching Certificate, if applicable
- Official Florida Teacher Certification Examination results for the General Knowledge Tests, Subject Area Exam, and/or the
Professional Education Test, if available when applying
- A brief written, biographical statement that addresses the following questions:
1. Why do you want to be a teacher?
2. What experiences have you had with educators that have influenced your motivations to be a teacher?
3. What qualities and skills do you possess that would help you become an excellent teacher? This may include
information about effective oral and written communication, positive attitudes, appreciation and value for
diversity, collaboration skills, problem-solving skills, and social emotional intelligence.
All EPI program application forms should be completed by the approximate program deadlines below:
|Enrollment Term||Application Deadline**|
|Fall Semester||August 1|
|Spring Semester||December 1|
|Summer Semester||April 1*|
* Note: Summer ONLINE courses begin in early May and all required EPI documents must be submitted before online courses begin in the summer term. Once a course begins, you cannot register for the course. Summer INTENSIVE courses begin in early June. All required EPI documents must be submitted by May 15th, but a late registration fee ($50) will be applied. All EPI courses are limited to space available.
** Note: application date deadlines are approximate. The EPI program application deadlines are about two weeks prior to the college's payment deadlines each semester.
6. After review of all required application and transcript documentation, applicants
will receive an email from the EPI program regarding admission status via Atlas student
email. Students are reminded to include their VID in communication with the EPI office
and use their Atlas student email for FERPA security.
For additional information, please contact: