Teachers who already hold a Professional Certificate and need certificate renewal may complete six (6) semester hours of college credit or equivalent earned during each renewal period. Most of Valencia's courses meet the requirements of teachers seeking recertification. These courses are offered in a variety of delivery modes (face-to-face, online, mixed-mode, etc.) on each Valencia campus. A grade of at least “C” must be earned in each college course used for renewal. Schools/Districts may have specific expectations regarding which courses a teacher should complete, teachers should seek the recommendations and clarification through the school or district of employment. ALL other questions regarding fulfilling the re-certification requirements must be directed to the Florida Department of Education.
Valencia College Application Directions for Recertification
Teacher Recertification applicants:
- Click the Apply Now button on the main Valencia website.
- Create Login ID and PIN for the application.
- Select Readmit Student or Transfer Student admissions application type.
- If you previously took college credit courses at Valencia select the Readmit Student application type.
- If you previously took courses at different college/university select the Transfer Student application type.
- The next landing page will prompt you to select your Admission Term and enter first and last name. Once you select the term for which you plan to apply and enter your first and last name you will see the main page of the application with a number of different checklist items.
- When completing the Planned Course of Study Section of the application there will be a mandatory dropdown selection box where you will scroll down to select Non-Degree Seeking: Teacher Recertification. The courses of student are in alphabetical order.
- Complete all other sections of the application prior to submitting.
Tuition & Cost
Instate Tuition = $103.06 per credit hour
Out-of-State Tuition = $390.96 per credit hour
The following topics are appropriate for renewing your Professional Certificate and are taken from the FL DOE website. If you have any questions regarding your re-certification, please contact the Florida Department of Education and visit the DOE website
- Teaching students with disabilities (SWD)
- Exceptional student education
- Content specific to the subject area(s)
- Methods or education strategies specific to the subject area(s)
- Methods of teaching reading and literacy skills acquisition
- Computer literacy, computer applications, or computer education
- ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages)
- Drug abuse, child abuse and neglect, or student dropout prevention
- Training related to the goals of the Florida K-20 System, such as:
- Content - English, economics, mathematics, science, social sciences, foreign languages, humanities, global economy, technology, ecology, first aid, health, or safety
- Classroom Strategies - Cooperative learning, problem-solving skills, critical-thinking skills, classroom management, child development, collaboration techniques for working with families, social services, child guidance and counseling, teaching reading, or educational assessments, etc.
- School Administration Accountability - Instructional design, leadership skills, school and community relations, school finance, school facilities, school law, or school organization
- Career and Adult Education Accountability - Adult learning, principles of adult or career and technical education, career and technical education for students with special needs, or career and technical guidance
Valencia courses that fulfill recertification credits may include but are not limited to:
- ARE 2000 – Art and Creativity
- EDF 2005 – Introduction to Education
- EDF 2085 – Diversity for Education
- EDF2130 – Child and Adolescent Development for Educators
- EDF 2720 – Children in Schools: Legal, Ethical, and Safety Concerns
- EEC 2732 – Health, Safety and Nutrition for Young Children
- EEC 2001 – Introduction to Early Childhood Education
- EEX 2010 – Orientation to Exceptional Education
- EME 2040 – Technology for Educators
- MUE 2211 – Early Childhood Music and Movement
*Teachers completing summer class(es) in Term A only (ending before June 30) may request documentation (Valencia memo) for certification/recertification prior to the posting of official summer transcripts in early August from Ellen Costello at: firstname.lastname@example.org and provide:
- VID/Social Security number (if appropriate)
- Course Dates
- # Of Credits
- Instructor Name(s)
- How memo should be addressed: To DOE (Department of Education) or the County School Office or specific school etc.
- How memo should be distributed (i.e. U.S. mail and to what address or picked up at West Campus, SSB, Room 106
For questions related to Teacher Recertification, please send a request.
Teacher Preparation and Re-certification - Building 1 room 255, West Campus
1800 S. Kirkman Rd. Orlando, FL 32811
**If your Professional Educator's Certificate has expired, visit the Florida Department of Education website to view the steps to reinstate your certificate.**