Basic Law Enforcement Academy
The Criminal Justice Institute at Valencia College is certified by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Division of Criminal Justice Standards and Training.
Program Description:This program is designed to prepare individuals for entry level positions in law enforcement, such as police officers and deputy sheriffs.
Courses include Law, Vehicle Operations, Communications, First Aid, Firearms, Defensive Tactics, Patrol, Investigations, Investigating Offenses, Traffic Stops, Crash Investigations, Tactical Applications, Dart-Firing Stun Gun and State Exam Review.
Practical Skills and Field Exercises:
Practical skills and field exercises include courtroom demeanor and testifying, report writing, identification, collection and preservation of evidence, interviewing and interrogation techniques, radio communications, patrol techniques, traffic direction, traffic crash investigations, police vehicle operation, defensive tactics, arrest techniques, firearms training, chemical agent application, cpr and first aid, fingerprinting and sobriety testing.
Program Length: 770 hours
|DAY - 19 Weeks||EVENING - 9 Months|
|6:00AM - 5:00PM
Monday - Thursday
6:00PM - 10:00PM
|Tuition:||Florida Resident $3,000
(approximate; subject to change)
(subject to change) Includes books, uniforms and other equipment
|CJI Application Fee:||$100.00 (non refundable)|
|Valencia College Application Fee:||
$35.00 (non refundable)
|CJ BAT fee:||$40.00|
|State exam fee:||$100.00 & ($35 proctoring fee if exam taken at CJI)|
|CJK 0007||Introduction to Law Enforcement|
|CJK 0011||Human Issues|
|CJK 0020||CMS Law Enforcement Vehicle Operations|
|CJK 0031||CMS First Aid for Criminal Justice Officers|
|CJK 0040||CMS Criminal Justice Firearms|
|CJK 0051||CMS Criminal Justice Defensive Tactics|
|CJK 0061||Patrol I|
|CJK 0062||Patrol II|
|CJK 0071||Criminal Investigations|
|CJK 0076||Crime Scene Investigations|
|CJK 0082||Traffic Stops|
|CJK 0083||DUI Traffic Stops|
|CJK 0086||Traffic Crash Investigations|
|CJK 0096||Criminal Justice Office Physical Fitness|
|CJK 0422||Dart-Firing Stun Gun|
|CJD 0939||CJ Exam Review|
- Applicant must be at least 19 years of age.
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
- Applicant must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Applicant cannot have a dishonorable discharge from the Armed Forces of the United States.
- Applicant cannot have been convicted of any felony, or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement. Any person who, after July 1, 1981, pleads guilty or nolo contendere to, or is found guilty of a felony, or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or a false statement, shall not be eligible for employment or appointment as an officer, not-withstanding suspension of sentence or withholding of adjudication.
- Applicant must take the Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (CJ BAT) and achieve required scores.
- Applicant will be required to provide birth certificate, high school diploma or equivalent, valid Florida Driver's License, Social Security Card, Military Form DD214 (if applicable), college transcript or other proof of degree (if applicable), and proof of medical insurance.
- Applicant must have a physical examination prior to program entry. Forms for this purpose are part of the application packet available in the Criminal Justice Institute Office.
- Applicant must fill out a Valencia Student Application.
- Applicant must fill out a Criminal Justice Institute Application.
Students will be admitted into the Academy in the following order of priority.
- Applicants who are employed by any agency which is a member of the CJI Advisory Board.
- Applicants who are employed by any other agency in the state.
- Applicants who are sponsored by any agency.
- Valencia College AA/AS students or US Military Veteran.
- All other qualified pre-service applicants.
Upon completion of the Academy, each student will be required to take and pass a state examination prior to being certified in the State of Florida. This exam consists of five sections and requires a passing score of 80%.
For further information call (407) 582-8200