Non-Study Abroad International Travel &
Faculty Exchange Registration
- Per College policy 6Hx28:5-08, all Valencia staff and faculty traveling overseas must register with the SAGE office no later than 15 days prior to departure.
- You do NOT need to complete this process if you are leading a study abroad program with students or you are traveling to Canada.
- Group Travelers (i.e., NEH Grant):One person should be the communication point person with the SAGE office. Please complete the Traveler's Information Worksheet - Group Travel for the entire group and send it to the SAGE office.
- Email the SAGE office at email@example.com or call 407-582-3188 if you have any questions on filling out these forms.
Step 1: Check for a Travel Warning
Check for a Department of State Travel Warning for the destination country. If you see that your destination is listed on the warning list, please contact the SAGE office. The College may not fund any trips going to a country with an active travel warning.
Step 2:Proposal Form
Complete any additional paperwork as applicable. Ask the SAGE office if you are exempt from this step or which forms apply if you are unsure. Obtain the required signatures and send the completed forms to the SAGE office.
- Faculty-Staff International Program Proposal Instructions
- Faculty-Staff International Program Proposal (use for faculty exchange programs - one way or reciprocal)
- Questionnaire for Overseas Colleges (use for site visits for Endowed Chairs)
Step 3:Passport and Visa
- Ensure that your passport is up to date. Some countries require your passport to be valid at least 6 months after your return to the United States. Submit Proof of Passport Make sure you are submitting a clear copy of your passport.
- The SPOT at UCF has been designated a Passport Acceptance Facility by the US Department of State. For more information, please visit The SPOT
- Apply for a visa if applicable. Travel Visa Requirements can be found at Visa HQ.
Step 4: Airline Reservations
- Individual Travelers: You can make your reservations online. Ask your department for assistance. You can request a cash advance on your authorization form for the airline ticket.
- Group Travelers (i.e., NEH grant): Contact Robert Reed at Travel Max (407-704-7850). He will need you to complete the Traveler's Information Worksheet - Group Travel in order to purchase the tickets.
Ask your supervisor if you can use the department credit card (P-card) to pay for the flights. The cardholder will need to charge the amount to the approved budget in PaymentNet. The budget manager will need to be informed of the purchase and will require all receipts. Contact Accounts Payable if you do not know the budget index number.
Step 5: Accommodation Reservations
Make your hotel or other accommodations arrangements. You can either:
- Pay for the hotel and get reimbursed after your trip
- Get the hotel set up in the system as a vendor and Valencia will pay the hotel directly. Please contact Accounts Payable for more details (ext. 3312).
Step 6: Authorization for International Travel Form
Faculty and staff must complete their own form. Contact your department assistant for help. For detailed instructions on how to complete this form, please find the Authorization for International Travel in Valencia Forms in Atlas.
Per the requirements of Accounts Payable, you MUST provide supporting documentation for ALL costs related to the international travel for which Valencia is paying. Example supporting documents:
- airline quote or receipt from the travel agent or a website (please provide the days and times of departure and return)
- tour operator quote or receipt
- insurance quote or receipt
- hotel website pages with prices (if you cannot obtain hotel costs, we will use the Dept. of State's maximum lodging rate on the Per Diem by Country website page below)
- cultural activities webpages with prices
- supporting documentation for any other costs associated with the trip
Please forward your signed paperwork to the SAGE office at DO-335. We will stamp it received and forward it to Accounts Payable. Accounts Payable will not process your form without the SAGE stamp on it.
Step 7: Register Your Travel Plans with SAGE
Please complete the travel registration at least 15 days prior to your trip. You will need your destination itinerary, passport, airline, and accommodations information in order to complete your registration.
NEH Grant Participants: The coordinator will need to complete the Travelers Information Worksheet and send to the SAGE Office in lieu of completing the individual online form.
Important: SAGE must receive specific accommodation locations in order to register you with the Department of State's STEP Program. Failure to provide this information will mean that you will not be registered and we will not receive important embassy updates in the event that something occurs in your country destination.
Step 8: Medical/Trip Insurance
Contact the SAGE Office for insurance information including coverage and cost. The SAGE Office can assist travelers with purchasing trip insurance.
Once you have registered your trip online (step 8), contact the SAGE Office with the budget number that the insurance will be paid out of. If you are paying with personal funds, you can pay at the campus Business Office. Contact the SAGE Office for details on how to complete this process.
Step 9: Department of State Registration
Upon receipt of your registration (STEP 8), the SAGE office will email you a copy of Valencia's Emergency-Crisis Management Plan for International Travel, register you with the Department of State's STEP (Smart Travelers Enrollment Program), and will inform Valencia's Emergency Response Team of your upcoming travel.
Step 10: Faculty Exchange Close Out
Contact the SAGE office to let us know how you will be meeting the "sharing" requirement of your program (Cafe Conversations, department presentation, conference presentation, International Education Week, Skillshop, etc.).
OPTIONAL: Upload photos to the SAGE Flickr (create a set for your program): http://valenciastudyabroad.pbworks.com/w/page/31158209/Upload-Photos-to-SAGE-Flickr OR send us a link to your blog to post to the SAGE website.
EXCHANGES: Submit your "Internationalizing the Curriculum" project to the SAGE office by the end of the semester after you return.