Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I know if I qualify for the EPI program?

A. If you hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a minimum 2.5 GPA and have a statement of Status of Eligibility from the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) stating "You are Eligible," you qualify for our program. Click here to view a  valid Statement of Eligibility

Q. How do I get my Status of Eligibility?

A. Visit the Florida Department of Education and apply for your Status of Eligibility.

Q. What do I need to submit prior to the mandatory enrollment session?

A. The following paperwork must be completed for program admission:

  • Statement of Status of Eligibility from FLDOE
  • College Application
  • Official Transcripts reflecting a minimum overall GPA of 2.5
  • Attendance at an Enrollment Session
  • EPI Program Application in Atlas
  • Short Biographical Statement with disposition narrative
  • EPI Education Plan
  • Passing FTCE score report or exemption for the General Knowledge Tests preferred, but admission without is permitted

Q. How do I have international transcripts evaluated?

A. You will need to have international transcripts evaluated by a Foreign Credential Evaluation Agency

Students who have pursued secondary school studies outside of the U.S. must submit official records such as transcripts, diplomas and/or standardized exam results that are equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma. Secondary school records that are not issued in English must be accompanied by an official English translation.

Students who have completed college/university coursework at an institution outside of the U.S. must have their transcripts/diplomas evaluated by members of NACES. Students should obtain “course by course” evaluations. The evaluations may be used for transfer credit consideration, fulfillment of Valencia College pre-requisites, or waiving of the foreign language requirement. Students are responsible for paying any fees associated with the credential evaluation process. Students coming from foreign institutions recognized by U.S. regional accreditation bodies do not need to have their credentials evaluated.

Q. Do you offer online courses?

A. Yes, we offer online classes in the EPI program.

Q. Should I fill out the online admissions application before attending an enrollment session?

A. Yes, we recommend that you submit your college application before you attend the enrollment session. It takes approximately five business days to process your application, so if you wish to be able to register as soon as possible, you should fill out the admissions application first. Classes will fill up quickly.

Q. Do I have to submit proof of Florida Residency?

A. Yes. After you have completed the online admissions application, you must upload proof of your Florida Residency on line. It takes approximately five business days to process and must be completed by the deadline or you will be charged out of state tuition.

Q. How do I view the course listings for each semester?

A. To view all upcoming and available EPI courses follow these instructions:

  1. Identify EPI classes in the college catalog.
  2. Search "Class Schedule" in the Search box at the top of any Valencia College webpage.
  3. Select Current or Future Term, leave Discipline blank, and select "EDG, EDF , EEX or RED" for Subject Prefix
  4. Click "Search"

The resulting search shows each course with all available date ranges. It will also indicate if the class is full.

Q. Do EPI courses transfer to another college or university?

A. Yes. The program components provide college credit and may be transferable to a state university or other institution. EPI  Program courses are reserved for teacher professional development, recertification, or alternative certification. Valencia College does not offer an Education degree.

Q. Do the EPI courses meet the requirement for Guidance and Counseling Certification?

A. No. EPI does NOT meet the requirement by the state of Florida for the following certifications:

  • Reading
  • Educational Media Specialist
  • Speech-Language Impaired
  • Administration/Principal
  • Guidance and Counseling
  • School Psychologist
  • Director of Vocational Education

In order to meet the Florida Department of Education guidelines, you must be attaining a certification in a teaching K-12 field.

Q. I only need a couple of courses, can I take only the courses I need?

A. It depends upon the requirements listed on your Status of Statement of Eligibility. To satisy the requirement for a "Profesional Education Competence Program", all EPI program courses must be taken.

Q. If I am currently teaching in the school system, do I still have to take the field experience courses?

A. Yes, current teachers must register for the field experience course and complete all the assignments for the course. However, your 60 field experience hours can be completed through your current teaching assignment.

Q. How can I Volunteer in Orange County?

A. Horizon Scholars Program is a great opportunity to mentor a child in middle or high school. Your time involved in the program will attribute to the volunteer hours required for EPI courses. More information about this program can be found at Horizon Scholars Program

Q. Once I have completed the EPI program, what steps do I need to complete to finish the program and get my Professional Educator Certificate?

A. Follow the directions at the "Completion Checklist" EPI webpage.