Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (DHHS) exist to provide equal educational access and opportunity to Deaf and Hard of Hearing students through the provision of professional interpreting, speech to text, and advising services.
The goals of DHHS are to assist Deaf and Hard of Hearing students to
- persist in their education to graduation or transfer
- develop self-advocacy skills
- achieve independence through access to all Valencia programs and services
In order to achieve these goals, we strive to work collaboratively with all members of the campus community.
We adhere to strict right-to-privacy guidelines and ethical standards, including the NAD-RID Code of Professional Conduct and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Educational information may be shared with Valencia faculty and staff on a need to know basis according to FERPA guidelines. No information will be divulged to any outside parties without proper releases.
Services may include
- C-Print -meaning-for-meaning real-time speech-to-text transcription
- Typewell meaning- for-meaning real-time speech-to-text transcription
- CART real-time speech-to-text transcription
- Voice Recognition speech-to-text transcription
- Assistive Listening Device loans
- Collaboration with OSD advisors to provide assistance with admission, educational and career plans, course selection, and registration
When is it Important to Contact Us?
We support you in your independence as a college student. However, sometimes it is important that you contact us. You should always contact us:
- Before you register for classes.
- After you register for classes to request services.
- If you need an interpreter for a special event (meeting, tutoring, other activity).
- If you are having a hard time in a class.
- If you want to withdraw from a class.
- If you will miss a class or special event and need to cancel your interpreter or speech to text provider.
- If you have a problem with your services (for example, if you are not satisfied with your interpreter, speech to text provider, or notetaker).
- If you have a problem with your accommodations.
Student Requests for Services
Service Provider Request Details
Please make your request at least 3 business days in advance. If you make your request less than 3 business days in advance we will do our best, but cannot guarantee that a service provider will be available. Making a request on Friday afternoon for Monday morning does not constitute 72 business hours notice. The Office for Students with Disabilities closes at 5:00 PM on Friday and opens again at 8:00 AM on Monday.
Interpreter / Speech-to-Text Request
To request interpreter or speech-to-text services, please complete this form linked below.
Video Remote Interpreter Request
To request a video remote interpreter, please complete this form linked below.
* If you are a current or prospective employee of Valencia College, please make all requests for interpreter/speech to text services to our Human Resources department.
You will receive an e-mail with confirmation that your request has been received and if possible the names of your service provider(s).
If you have any questions, please see the locations on our home page for contact information for your campus.
For Staff Service Providers Only
To request a sub, please complete this form.