Alternate Format Materials
The Office for Students with Disabilities is able to provide materials in an alternate format to eligible students with pre-approved and qualifying disabilities. Various formats can be made available. Provision of alternate format materials is dependent on documentation of disability. Students are responsible for requesting alternative formats for textbooks that they will need. Please be aware that alternative format production can take several weeks, therefore, be sure to follow the procedure below.
Requesting Materials in an Alternate Format
To receive course materials in an alternate format students must first be registered with the Office for Students with Disabilities and be approved for the use of this accommodation. The following steps detail the process for requesting materials in alternate format:
- During the intake meeting a member of the Office for Students with Disabilities will review the student's documentation of disability and verify a print disability and eligibility for this accommodation.
- Students will meet with the Assistant Director of the Office for Students with Disabilities to discuss which alternative formats will best provide access.
- Students may meet with the Assistive Technology Specialist for training on how to use the technology and where to access that technology on campus.
- Requests for alternate format materials can be made by submitting an Alternate Format Request Form.
- Students will be required to purchase their textbooks and provide the Office for Students with Disabilities proof of purchase. This may be done in person or via email.
Students are advised to discuss any questions or concerns about this accommodation with the Assistive Technology Specialist or the Assistant Director of the Office for Students with Disabilities.
Students are reminded the production of alternate format materials can take up to 30 business days from the date the materials become available for production. The management of requests for materials to be converted in an alternate format are operated on a first in, first out basis, the earlier the request is received in the sooner they are processed and sent out. Materials received less than 30 days prior to the start of a term will be converted and delivered as quickly as possible, however there is no guarantee they will be delivered by the start of classes.
The Office for Students with Disabilities will make every effort to provide the format the student prefers, however we cannot guarantee that the preferred format will be available. In this case, an effective alternative can be provided.
Alternate Format Agreement Policy
Students are advised to review the alternate format agreement policy prior to requesting materials in an alternate format.
- I agree to contact the Office for Students with Disabilities if any of my contact information changes, this includes phone numbers, name changes, etc.
- I agree to notify the Office for Students with Disabilities if I drop a class and I will immediately return all alternate format materials for that class.
- I agree to notify the Office for Students with Disabilities if my class will use a different textbook than the one(s) I requested or if my alternate format requests change in any other way.
- I agree to check my alternate format materials as soon as I receive them and to contact the Office for Students with Disabilities immediately if there are issues.
- I agree to return all alternate format materials to the Office for Students with Disabilities and to delete them from my computer and/or devices at the end of the term.
- I understand that turn-around time is 30 business days from the date the material is available for production and that the material is provided on a first come-first served basis.
- I understand that the Office for Students with Disabilities makes every effort to provide alternate format materials in my preferred format but cannot guarantee that the preferred format will be available. In that case, I will receive an effective alternative.
- I understand that this accommodation is based on documentation I have provided to the Office for Students with Disabilities.
- I understand that if my files are provided by a publisher, I must present a receipt for each book before I can receive my alternate format materials or notification that they are ready.
- I understand that when my requested materials are ready, I will be contacted via my Atlas email.
- I confirm that I am registered for the classes for which I am requesting alternate format.
- I acknowledge that the Office for Students with Disabilities can only provide me with textbooks in an alternate format for classes that I am currently registered for.
- I understand that failure to abide by this agreement may constitute a violation of copyright laws and of the Valencia College Student Code of Conduct. Therefore, failure to abide by this agreement may result in disciplinary action as outlined in the Student Handbook, the College Catalog, and on the Valencia website under College Policies.