Public Safety and Paralegal Studies
School of Public Safety
Valencia College’s School of Public Safety provides comprehensive education, training and resources for our communities’ first responders. It houses three major program areas: Criminal Justice, Fire Rescue and Safety and Security. Our law enforcement and corrections academies and fire science academy and minimum standards class for fire fighters meet Florida’s training requirements and qualify students to take the state certification exams within their field. We also offer industry certifications and advanced specialized training, as well as two-year Associate in Science (A.S) degrees in Criminal Justice and Fire Science Technology.
Paralegal Studies, Associate in Science (A.S.) degree
Valencia’s Paralegal Studies Associate in Science (A.S.) degree program will prepare
you to become a legal assistant in a law firm, bank, corporation and government agency.
Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law.
Advanced Specialized Training and Continuing Education
Valencia offers professional training courses, programs, seminars and workshops dedicated to the public safety community, including specialized training for sworn Florida law enforcement, corrections or probation officers, and fire service professionals of all levels.
View upcoming courses for:
Explore related careers, salaries and job listings.
Programs & Degrees
Associate in Science
The A.S. degree prepares you to enter a specialized career field in about two years. It also transfers to the Bachelor of Applied Science program offered at some universities. If the program is “articulated,” it will also transfer to a B.A. or B.S. degree program at a designated university.
Fire Science Academy Track
The Fire Science Academy is a fast-paced degree-granting program that provides students with three components of career development in just two years: A.S. degree in Fire Science Technology, EMT (Emergency Medical Technology) Technical Certificate (must pass a state exam), and Minimum Standards Training – Firefighter I and Firefighter II (must pass a state exam).
A certificate prepares you to enter a specialized career field or upgrade your skills for job advancement. Most can be completed in one year or less. Credits earned can be applied toward a related A.S. degree program.
- Correctional Officer
- Criminal Justice Technology Specialist
- Crossover: Corrections to Law Enforcement
- Fire Fighter (Minimum Standards)
- Fire Officer Supervisor
- Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training Certifications - Fire Officer I
- Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training Certifications - Fire Officer II
- Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training Certifications - Fire Service Instructor
- Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training Certifications - Firesafety Inspector I
- Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training Certifications - Firesafety Inspector II
- Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training Certifications - Firesafety Investigator I
- Homeland Security Specialist
- Homeland Security – Law Enforcement Specialist
- Law Enforcement Officer
Continuing Education provides non-degree, non-credit programs including industry-focused training, professional development, language courses, certifications and custom course development for organizations. Day, evening, weekend and online learning opportunities are available.