Basic Correctional Officer Academy
This program is designed to prepare individuals for entry level positions as correctional officers.Program Content
Course includes introduction to criminal justice, legal aspects, defensive tactics, physical fitness training, weapons, first responder techniques, court system, communications, interpersonal skills, correctional operations, emergency preparedness and state exam review.
Practical skills and field exercises include courtroom demeanor and testifying, report writing, identification, collection and preservation of evidence, radio communications, patrol techniques, defensive tactics, and firearms training; chemical agent application, first responder, and fingerprinting.
Program Length: 420 hours
6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday - Thursday
The Criminal Justice Institute at Valencia College is certified by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Division of Criminal Justice Standards and Training.
|Tuition:||Florida Resident $1500
(approximate; subject to change)
(approximate) Includes books, uniforms and other equipment
|CJI Application Fee:||$100.00 (non refundable)|
|Valencia College Application Fee:||
$35.00 (non refundable)
|CJ BAT fee:||$39.00|
|State exam fee:||$100.00 & ($35 proctoring fee if exam taken at CJI)|
|Course ID||Course Title|
|CJK 0300||Introduction to Corrections|
|CJK 0310||Officer Safety|
|CJK 0315||Facility and Equipment|
|CJK 0320||Intake and Release|
|CJK 0325||Supervising in a Correctional Facility|
|CJK 0330||Supervising Special Populations|
|CJK 0335||Responding to Incidents and Emergencies|
|CJK 0031||CMS First Aid for Criminal Justice Officers|
|CJK 0040||CMS Criminal Justice Firearms|
|CJK 0051||CMS Criminal Justice Defensive Tactics|
|CJK 0340||Officer Wellness and Physical Abilities|
|CJK 0939||Criminal Justice Exam Review|
- Applicant must be at least 19 years of age.
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
- Applicant must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Applicant cannot have a dishonorable discharge from the Armed Forces of the United States.
- Applicant cannot have been convicted of any felony, or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement. Any person who, after July 1, 1981, pleads guilty or nolo contendere to, or is found guilty of a felony, or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or a false statement, shall not be eligible for employment or appointment as an officer, not-withstanding suspension of sentence or withholding of adjudication.
- Applicant must take the Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (CJ BAT) and achieve required scores.
- Applicant will be required to provide birth certificate, high school diploma or equivalent, valid Florida Driver's License, Social Security Card, Military Form DD214 (if applicable), college transcript or other proof of degree (if applicable), and proof of medical insurance.
- Applicant must have a physical examination prior to program entry. Forms for this purpose are part of the application packet available in the Criminal justice Institute Office.
- Applicant must fill out a Valencia College Student Application.
- Applicant must fill out a Criminal Justice Institute application.
Most of the recruits attending Valencia's Corrections Academy are employed by Orange County Corrections Department (OCCD). For hired employees, tuition and salaries are paid by OCCD during attendance at the academy. For information and to apply, visit Orange County Corrections website.Apply at Orange County Corrections
Students will be admitted into the Academy in the following order of priority.
- Applicants who are employed by any agency which is a member of the C.J.I. Advisory Board.
- Applicants who are employed by any other agency in the state.
- Applicants who are sponsored by any agency.
- Valencia AA/AS students or US Military Veterans.
- All other qualified pre-service applicants.
- Upon completion of the Academy, each student will be required to take and pass a state examination prior to being certified in the State of Florida. This exam consists of five sections, which requires a passing score of 80%.