Hospitality and Tourism Management
Associate in Science (A.S.)
The Hospitality and Tourism Management Associate in Science (A.S.) degree at Valencia College is a two-year program that prepares you to go directly into a specialized career within the hospitality industry, including: Hotel Operations and Management, Event Planning and Management, Restaurant & Foodservice Management, and Bar & Beverage Management.
Not only is our program located in Orlando, one of the most popular tourist areas in the country, but it also boasts a state-of-the-art 50,000 square foot facility— the Walt Disney World Center for Culinary Arts and Hospitality. Valencia’s program combines classroom instruction with hands-on training to help you move into supervisory and mid-management positions in lodging, food service, tourism, and other potential hospitality careers. Thanks to a strong connection to the Central Florida Hospitality industry and related professional associations, students have many employment opportunities to explore as well as scholarship support for their educational and professional needs. One of the most valuable aspects of the program is the opportunity to complete a 240-hour internship, which enables you to develop skills and expertise in guest services and management, as well as technical areas. Our campus features a mixology lab with a 24-foot bar and brewery, baking and pastry labs with artisanal bread baking ovens and a chocolate spraying room and culinary labs featuring induction stoves and a microgreen growing cabinet.
Program Overview and Degree Requirements
Review course descriptions, important dates and deadlines and other programs details in the official college catalog.
Valencia’s certificate programs can put you on the fast-track to reaching your career goals. They are designed to equip you with a specialized skill set for immediate employment or career advancement. Most can be completed in one year or less.
- Event Planning Management (24 credits)
- Food and Beverage Management (30 credits)
- Guest Services Specialist (15 credits)
- Rooms Division Management (30 credits)
Alternative Ways To Earn Credit
Did you know that you may already be eligible to receive college credit toward this program? Check out these opportunities:
- Career Pathways - Receive college credit for Career Pathways credits earned in high school.
- Industry Certifications – Receive college credit for approved Industry Certifications
- Technical College Programs – Receive college credit toward this program for completing an approved Orange Technical College or Osceola Technical College program.
You want to step up. We have a path to a bachelor’s.
More career options. Increased opportunities to advance in your field. A bachelor’s degree at 2/3 the cost of a Florida public university. The Bachelor of Applied Science degree in Business and Organizational Leadership at Valencia College lets you build on your associate degree and prepare for a supervisory or management role in your field or the industry of your choice. Enroll with an associate degree or at least 60 credit hours. Contact a career program advisor to learn more.
Learn How To
- Analyze and control food and labor costs, monitor sales, evaluate competition and develop a marketing plan
- Hire and train personnel and determine schedules
- Plan and execute banquets, conventions and other major events
- Plan, organize and manage the operation of restaurants, hotels, motels and other eating and lodging facilities
One out of every five jobs in Central Florida is in the hospitality industry. With Orlando as the hospitality capital of the world, career opportunities are abundant. From cruise ships to convention centers, four-star restaurants to five-diamond resorts, theme parks and travel operations, exciting career opportunities are waiting to be filled.
- Food Service or Lodging Manager
- Front Office Supervisor
- Reservations Supervisor
- Catering/Banquet Sales and Service
- Event Planning Specialist
- Food and Beverage Specialist
- Guest Services Specialist
AVERAGE SALARY RANGE
$28,000 – $33,000
The average placement rate for Valencia College A.S. degree and certificate programs ranges between 90 – 95%, according to the latest FETPIP data.
Job search strategies, employment readiness tips and more at four on-campus locations.Visit a Career Center
If you are a future student and would like more information about this degree program, please complete the form below.
If you are a current student, please log on to Atlas and contact your assigned Career Program Advisor.
For general enrollment questions, assistance is available through the Answer Center.
For general enrollment questions, assistance is available through our virtual Answer Center or by contacting Enrollment Services.