Travel Frequently Asked Questions


When traveling directly from home address to an approved location, then to your home campus, then home address at the end of the business day, how you would calculate your mileage?

Calculate the whole leg of the trip: home address-to the location-to home campus-to home address minus your normal commute to your home campus.

When attending a meeting/conference in Orange or Osceola County and assuming an Authorization for Travel Form was previously submitted for the trip, do I claim my excess miles on the Per Diem Voucher or on the In-District Travel Report?

If a registration fee is paid, a  Per Diem Form should be submitted to Accounts Payable. The in-district miles can be claimed on the Per Diem Form. If NO registration fee is paid and a $0 Authorization for Travel is used, then claim the excess miles on the  Mileage Reimbursement Form.

Do I need to submit an Authorization for Travel to Accounts Payable if I am not requesting any reimbursements or Per Diem?

No. A travel Authorization is needed if an employee is performing job-related duties out of the office. If the employee is requesting any type of Per Diem or reimbursement, then the employee must submit an Authorization for Travel form to Accounts Payable. If the employee is NOT requesting any reimbursements and there is no registration fee being paid, then the Authorization for Travel is only required on a departmental level and Accounts Payable DOES NOT require a copy.

EXCEPTION: An Authorization for Travel and Per Diem must ALWAYS be submitted to the Grants Department for Grant Funded Programs and Endowed Chair Restricted Funds per the Grant Guidelines, regardless of the amount.

Your "home campus" is located on West Campus and you must drive to East Campus for a meeting. After work you go home. How many excess miles can you claim?

Add mileage from West campus to East Campus, then to your home and subtract your normal commute (example: West to East + East to Home - West to Home = Excess Miles)

How do I pay for registration fees?

There are a few ways to pay (A) Use your P-card; (B) If it is being paid by a grant do a Check Request and have a check cut for that vendor; or (C) Pay it yourself and get reimbursed on your  Per Diem Form.


How do I pay for lodging?

There are a few ways to pay (A) Do a  Check Request to have a check mailed to the hotel prior to traveling; (B) Pay with a personal credit card and get reimbursed on the  Per Diem Form; or (C) Pay using a P-Card (if the holder of the P-Card is not present, they will have to fill out an authorization from the hotel prior to the date of the travel for the charge).

How do I pay for airline tickets?

There are few ways to pay (A) Use your P-Card; (B) If it is a Grant and there is no P-Card available, let Travel Max know and they will charge it to the college American Express; or (C) Pay with your credit card and get reimbursed on your  Per Diem Form.

How do I pay for a rental car?

Pay with your personal credit card and get reimbursed on the Per Diem or pay with department P-Card. Valencia College has an agreement with Budget Car Rental and Avis Car Rental, so we STRONGLY recommend you use Budget or Avis for all Car Rentals to save you the most on your travel. If you choose to use an outside vendor you will be responsible for all insurance, service charges, etc.
NOTE: Valencia College does NOT reimburse for any upgrades. All upgrades are considered a personal expense and you are responsible for all upgrade specific charges.

Why do I have to provide repeated information if it is already included in travel paperwork?

This information must be provided because not all reviewers, approvers, or auditors have access to all systems. The information must be provided in detail so there will be no questions regarding whether or not the item or service is an allowable expense.


How do I determine my departure and arrival times for the Authorization For Travel and Per Diem Forms?

The departure time on the Authorization for Travel form should be when you plan to leave your home. If flying, you are allowed to report two hours before your departure flight time and one hour after your returning flight time on your Authorization For Travel Form. On the Per Diem Form, you should report the ACTUAL time you left your home and returned home from your travel. Again, you are allowed to report two hours before your departure flight time and one hour after your returning flight time on you Per Diem Form. If any flight or travel changes occur that affect your departure and arrival time, please attach a memo to your Per Diem Form notifying Accounts Payable of the reason for the change.

Can I use my P-card for gas?

Only if the vehicle is a rented vehicle for College use. (If you are using a personal vehicle, you are reimbursed through the per diem mileage rate) As with any P-card purchase, the gas receipt must be retained for supporting the purchase.

Can you review the contracts process?

Please visit Procurement's Web Page for assistance:

Can you review the Procurement and Accounts Payable Workflow?

For Procurement workflow, please visit their web page at

For Accounts Payable Workflow, once a PO has been created and the goods/services have been received, a vendor invoice needs to be submitted through the Team Dynamix form (link listed on AP home page) in order for payment to be processed. If a vendor does not supply an invoice, please submit a Certification of Services in lieu of an invoice.

How will I know the proper account code to use when purchasing from the budget?

After receiving training, you can access this information in the account code reference guide called  What GL (Account) Code Do I Use.. This reference guide was developed in 2005 with descriptive explanations on the different account codes. This guide was recently updated in April 2010. The document can be found on the Procurement Web Site, under Faculty & Staff FAQs or on the Atlas page under the Finance Tab within the Procurement Channel. Please note that this is a general use of account codes and sometimes there are special accounts that only apply to Grants. If you are unsure of the account code to use with regards to a grant, please contact the Grants Accounting Office at extensions 3305 or 3335. For general questions on which account code to use, please contact the Budget Office at 3306 or 3309.

How can I acquire petty cash for my department?

 As of July 1, 2019, Valencia College removed Petty cash as a reimbursement/payment method.

The approved methods of payment are:

  • Purchasing Card — As noted in the Procurement Procedure for Commodities and Services, a Purchasing Card — also referred to as a P-card — is available to purchase many goods and services up to $999. This payment method does not require use of personal funds, and since the College’s tax exempt number is imprinted on the card underneath the owner’s name, sales tax charges can be avoided.
  • Purchase Order — You may create a Standing (Open) Purchase Order — also known as a PO — which gives departments the flexibility to place orders on an as-needed basis, a convenient way to order routine supplies. Please note that check requests as a form of payment should be used on an exception basis only when the vendor will not accept a purchase order or P-Card.

When should a Certification of Services be used?

A Certification of Services is used to pay for services ONLY when the contractors/vendors do not provide invoices OR if the check is needed before the event or service. All other payments should be processed with the vendor invoice or as an advance.