Frequently Asked Questions


The FAFSA asks for my parents' information, but I am on my own. What do I do?
If you are over age 24, married, a Veteran of the armed forces, an orphan or ward of the court, or if you have dependents of your own that you support, you will not need to report your parent's information. If you ordinarily would need to report parent information, but are unable to do so because of an unusual situation, you should meet with a Financial Aid Services Specialist to discuss your situation and inquire about your options. You may be asked to document your situation in writing.


The FAFSA is based on last year's income, but I lost my job since then. Now I have no income. Do I have any options for having this considered?
If you or your parents have experienced a significant decrease in income, or have paid unusually large medical expenses this year, you should meet with a Financial Aid Services Specialist to discuss your situation and inquire about your options. You may be asked to provide detailed documentation of your situation in writing in order to receive special consideration.


How can I appeal my suspension?
Once you are suspended from financial aid, you cannot receive it any further unless you can prove that the reasons you couldn't meet the requirement were unusual, unavoidable, and beyond your control. To prove this, you may file an appeal with the Financial Aid Services Appeals Committee. Approval of your appeal is not guaranteed. It is up to you to convince the committee with your written appeal that your situation was truly mitigating. The committee will also look favorably on any proof you can provide that you now have your problems under control so they won't happen again. Please note that only written appeals are accepted and there is a deadline each term.


I heard that if I withdraw from my classes I might need to repay my financial aid. Is this true?
Yes. The federal financial aid programs require you to "earn" your aid by attending classes. If you receive federal financial aid and withdraw from all of your classes, your aid "earned" will be prorated based on your class attendance. The rules are a bit complicated, so we encourage you to meet with a Financial Aid Services Specialist if you receive federal aid and need to withdraw.


Can I charge books to my grant award in the bookstore?
If your financial aid program will cover book expenses, you will be able to charge your books during the posted bookstore charging times. Check your Award Letter and your Atlas Financial Aid Information for messages about limitations on your financial aid. We encourage you to make sure you have your final class schedule before buying your books. Be sure to save your receipt and don't write in your books until classes have actually begun.


How will I receive my disbursement funds?
All Financial Aid disbursements will be processed in accordance with your refund preference. You can visit the Valencia Refund site to learn more about your options.


What if I can't attend my classes or need to withdraw?
You can make changes to your schedule at any time during the add-drop period without any problems. After the add-drop period, the course will count as an "attempt" and will remain permanently on your academic record. Remember, you must attend your classes to receive financial aid payment.

Do not simply stop going to class without submitting an official withdrawal! You could be required to pay back the entire amount of your financial aid!

If you receive federal aid and you withdraw from all of your classes prior to the mid-term withdrawal deadline, you may be required to repay a portion of your financial aid. We urge you to complete your classes if at all possible to avoid complications with your future financial aid.

If you cannot attend a class, you should notify your professor as soon as possible and if you need to withdraw, use your Atlas account to enter the withdrawal. Do not simply stop going to class! You must complete at least 67% of your attempted courses to remain eligible for financial aid. Please be sure you are familiar with the rules for "Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Recipients" and meet with a Financial Aid Services Specialist if you have any questions.