College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- About College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- CLEP Exams Offered
- Taking the CLEP
- CLEP Testing Policies
- CLEP Transcripts
At a Glance
Available at West, East, and Osceola Campus by appointment only.
Retake Wait Period
Summer CollegeBoard DISCOUNT- CLICK HERE!
$20.00 appointment fee (pay when making your online appointment)
$89.00 per test* (paid through CollegeBoard and subject to change by CollegeBoard)
DANTES Tester- No exam fee or appointment fee for first attempt. Contact the campus you wish to test to make your appointment.
*Prices subject to change
Time RequiredVaries by subject
Technical difficulties inherent with the internet, software or transmission may occur during your testing experience and are unpredictable. If unexpected technical difficulties occur, a proctor will make every attempt to promptly resume your assessment. Extended delays in testing may require rescheduling.
About the CLEP
The CLEP is a series of standardized tests that helps you receive college credit for what you already know, for a fraction of the cost of a college course. Developed by the College Board, CLEP is the most widely accepted credit-by-examination program, available at more than 2,900 colleges and universities. If you have obtained knowledge outside the classroom, the CLEP gives you an opportunity to demonstrate your proficiency in the subject area and bypass undergraduate coursework.
- In order to meet all graduation requirements, you should take the test prior to the term in which you expect to graduate.
- The CLEP is a computerized test available to all students enrolled at Valencia.
- You are able to earn up to 45 credits through the CLEP.
- CLEP credit meets all graduation requirements, including Gordon Rule mandates if applicable.
- You will receive a copy of your unofficial scores immediately* after testing; official test scores will be processed 4-6 weeks after your test date and any applicable credit entered into your record at that time.
- You can earn a varying number of college credits with CLEP, depending on the particular test and the score earned. Click here for CLEP Exams offered at Valencia.
- You are able to retake a CLEP exam after a wait period of 3 months (90 days). Retaking a test before the wait period is over will invalidate your scores, and you will forfeit any fees paid.
- You may use CLEP credit under the repeat course policy for D or F grades only. Within the guidelines of the repeat policy, all attempts for a course will be counted in your GPA until you earn a grade of C or better when only the last attempt will be counted. If you earn an acceptable CLEP score in a course in which you have earned a D or F, the CLEP credit will be recorded and the D or F will no longer be computed in your GPA. No letter grades or quality points will be assigned.
- Passing scores are for credit granting purposes only and do not compute into your grade point average (GPA).
- Appointment fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Students in need of special testing accommodations must contact the Office of Students with Disabilities.
*College Composition test scores will be available only as official scores 4-6 weeks after the test.
Taking the CLEP
3 steps to test at Valencia College
Step #1 – Appointment and Fee
Make an appointment to take the CLEP exam and pay the administration fee online.
Step #2 – Payment
Pay for your CLEP Exam with CollegeBoard:
- Go to www.collegeboard.org
- Click Sign Up
- Select the CLEP tab
- Select the CLEP Exams tab
- Find the CLEP exam you want and select (check mark) the CLEP $89.00 box
- Select Add to cart button
- Select the Register and Checkout button-Be sure the name you type on the ticket is exactly how it is on your Valid Government Issued ID.
- Print your registration ticket (you must bring this on test day)
- CLEP Study Guide information HERE!
Click here for a video tutorial on CLEP Exam Registration and payment through CollegeBoard
Step #3 – Testing
On test day:
- You must have a current government issued photo ID
- You must hand in the printed registration ticket from www.collegeboard.org to the Assessment Center
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment or you might need to be re-scheduled.
- Due to limited schedule availability, it is important, to keep your appointment. No cancellation or reschedules within 48 hours of your appointment. To reschedule your appointment you must log into your RegisterBlast account.
Note: You will receive a copy of your unofficial scores immediately after testing; official test scores will be processed 5 weeks after your test date and any applicable credit entered into your record at that time. College Composition test scores will be available only as official scores 5 weeks after the test.
We look forward to having you test with us. If you have further questions or need more information, please visit our website:
NOTE: It takes 5 weeks to receive and process official CLEP scores.
The test taker’s identification must:
- Be government-issued
- Be an original document —photocopied documents are not acceptable
- Be valid and current —expired documents (bearing expiration dates that have passed) are not acceptable, no matter how recently they may have expired
- Bear the test-taker's full name, in English language characters, exactly as it appears on the Registration Ticket, including the order of the names
- Middle initials are optional and only need to match the first letter of the middle name when present on both the ticket and the identification.
- Bear a recent recognizable photograph that clearly matches the test-taker
- Include the test-taker’s signature
- Be in good condition, with clearly legible text and a clearly visible photograph
Acceptable forms of identification MUST have name, photograph and signature on one of the following:
- Government-issued passport
- Driver’s license
- State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency
- Military ID (including electronic signatures)
- National ID
- Tribal ID card
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
- A Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
CLEP Prohibited Items:
- Food, beverages, or tobacco products
- Hats (unless worn as a religious requirement)
- Hooded sweatshirts or sweaters
- Any device capable of recording audio, photographic, or video content, or capable of viewing or playing back such content
- Any other unauthorized testing aids
- Calculators (a calculator function is built into the software for some exams)
- Candidate-provided keyboards
- Cellular phones/pagers, smart-phones, or wireless communication devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad)
- Dictionaries, books, pamphlets, or reference materials
- Digital cameras
- Digital watches (wrist or pocket), alarm watches, or wristwatch cameras
- Flash/thumb drives or any other portable electronic devices
- Listening devices such as radios, media players with headphones, or recorder
- Mechanical pencils or any type of pen or highlighter
- Nonmedical electronic devices
- Papers of any kind (scratch paper will be provided by the test center administrator)
- Slide rules, protractors, compasses, or rulers
- Weapons or firearms
If you are planning on attending another college or university, your CLEP scores do
not transfer automatically with your Valencia College transcript. You will need to
send your CLEP scores in addition to your Valencia transcript. In order to send additional
transcripts, call 1-800-257-9558 or by completing a CLEP Transcript Request Form and mail it to:
P.O. Box 6600